Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #61 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
What pisses me off is that bettas and other fish are not given the same respect that cats, dogs and other mammals are. If a dog or a cat was treated the equivalency of some bettas, people would be slapped with more animal cruelty charges then they could keep count on.
I highly doubt that.....dogs, cats and other mammals aren't as respected as you think. The really bad cases make it to the news and garner good PR for animal shelters but the daily mistreatment of the majority of pets goes unnoticed.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #62 
Bombalurina

Sometimes writing a letter or saying something to a petshop can help. For instance, I asked a shop to correct the temperature recommendations for bettas, and they did, happily. Sadly, some shops also pull out a load of rubbish about how their tiny tanks and lack of heat are certified by "experts" (I suspect they are marketing experts, rather than fish experts).

Thankfully, one of my local shops has started selling a 9 litre betta kit with a heater, gentle filter and a lid. It's still not as big as I'd like, but it's so much better than those kits that treat fish as decorations, not living creatures.

One of the things that bothers me most is that they sell a 19.5 litre starter kit, which is nice, but if you are a member of the store you get two free COMETS with it. They don't seem to realise that they are giving people fish, that, under proper conditions, will grow more than a foot long and live for 20 years. If only you got two free guppies or something. I don't like guppies in less than 10 gallons (40 litres), but they'll do a lot better than the goldies. :(

Sadly, Backlash, trying to get governments, whether local or national, to start off law reforms regarding animals is far more difficult and less effective than campaigning with local stores, for several reasons.
Firstly, most people don't like "nanny-state" laws that infringe on their autonomy to such a degree.
Secondly, you've got to make the governments care. When they are legislating about wars, refugees, old age care, educational reforms etc, they aren't going to make time to make laws regarding what they see as "just a fish". Even societies like the RSPCA won't help fish because of bigger problems - the government sure won't.
Thirdly, explaining these things to shops in terms of profit as well as animal cruelty can be effective - what's more effective is targeting the customers.
Fourthly, if we don't have a big enough movement to affect shops, we certainly don't have a big enough movement to affect government. We'd just be written off as a loony, hippy fringe group.

The only solution is educating people, one fish at a time. :( At least it makes a difference to the life of that fish. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #63 
nel3

those tiny bowls with the decorative bases are very nice if they had a larger volume capacity. ive seen one in a vase 7 inches tall and 4 inches each side. it was just a vase but i had no chance to make her change it some something proper. she did feed it FD BW every day and water changes every 2-3 days. the bad part was the WC took 2 minutes total in cold tap water and no declorinator. all this was done by pouring the betta into a plugged bathroom sink, fish him out with a container. clean the vase and refill, pour betta back into sink catch with vase and put him back where he usually is where put. she even told me that he likes it. all i saw was a betta strugling to swin against a strong cold current 2 times within 2 minutes.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #64 
copperarabian

This is a horrible betta home(plus it comes with a nasty plant that will shred fins). The one thing it's good for is QT and treating ill fish. I bought one and it's been fantastic for them, plus if you tanks big enough you can let it float. to stay warm.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #65 
copperarabian

copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #66 
bettafishgirl

grrrr...this idiot....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGbnoDOSLKg
bettafishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #67 
CHARLi3

I'll admit I was one of those ignorant people when I first purchased Charlie, who is now over a year old!

I bought one of those one gallon bowls when I got him, but I read more into it and got him a 5 gallon but when he didn't get along with the tetras or other fishes, he was demoted to his one gallon again until we got him his 3 gallon. It's circular with a tube down the center for the bubbler.

He lives with some snails in his 3 gallon that I HATE. It's SO hard to clean! Right now I'm trying to find him a newer tank, but walmart only has the one he has or the half moon one (which we have for our other male Betta, Sebastien). What I need is a GOOD, but not outrageously priced place to go to find Charlie a new home; his light only plays on red -.-
CHARLi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #68 
paris38

It is sad to think of bettas living in such small tanks.Some are barly bigger than the cups they come in!!!!! :(
paris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #69 
Shiverdam

The pet stores near me sell betta "tanks" literally the size of soda cans.

Last edited by Shiverdam; 04-30-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Shiverdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #70 
isochronism

There is much ignorance in this world. Sad
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote