Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #81 
JellOh

And you thought the divided one was bad
Attached Images

JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #82 
dragonx47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollief9 View Post
Hmm.. well, I don't really see those horrible soda can-sized plastic things but biorbs are very popular here and I see lots of people keeping wholly unsuitable fish in them.. I've seen goldfish in the 3 gallon model WITH a betta. (This was in a restaurant so I couldn't really say anything).

I think maybe Betta standards are higher here because they just aren't as common. Many pet stores simply don't sell them and most dedicated fish stores only have a maximum of 5 or so. I've actually had a couple of blank looks from pet store employees when I asked if they had any Bettas. I think goldfish abuse is worse here; people often buy horrible 3 gallon 'starter kits' and throw 3 or 4 goldfish in them. Is goldfish abuse big in America or is it mainly bettas?
Goldfish abuse is pretty common here(USA), and I myself participated in it, after a pet store employee told me I could keep 4 comet gold fish in a 5 gallon tank (smh). I now know better. However, betta abuse is probably much more common simply because most people believe that tiny bowls are similar to their natural habitat.
dragonx47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #83 
ryancalif

Quote:
However, betta abuse is probably much more common simply because most people believe that tiny bowls are similar to their natural habitat.
I think more often than not, people just buy them on impulse, without knowing much or anything about them. They're right there, all jarred up, cute, and inexpensive.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #84 
Mashiro

Ugh, that last one is horrible....
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #85 
Kithy

The only reason I'd ever have one of those is for taking fancy pictures...

And even then I prefer sneaking candid shots of my fish in their silk plants and stuff.

Some people... smh.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #86 
EmptyYourMindBeFormless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollief9 View Post
Hmm.. well, I don't really see those horrible soda can-sized plastic things but biorbs are very popular here and I see lots of people keeping wholly unsuitable fish in them.. I've seen goldfish in the 3 gallon model WITH a betta. (This was in a restaurant so I couldn't really say anything).

I think maybe Betta standards are higher here because they just aren't as common. Many pet stores simply don't sell them and most dedicated fish stores only have a maximum of 5 or so. I've actually had a couple of blank looks from pet store employees when I asked if they had any Bettas. I think goldfish abuse is worse here; people often buy horrible 3 gallon 'starter kits' and throw 3 or 4 goldfish in them. Is goldfish abuse big in America or is it mainly bettas?
Goldfish abuse and neglect is certainly prevalent here, and has been around for decades. The saddest part of it is that the abuse isn't intentional, and a lot of good-hearted folks lose their pets due to being given bad advice. Hell, I've even seen some product manufacturers who have photoshopped multiple goldfish onto the packaging of small tanks.

And that is actually very cool to hear that the pet stores where you live take better care of the bettas.
EmptyYourMindBeFormless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:53 AM   #87 
Backlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent13 View Post
It's different for African dwarf frogs then Bettas. They aren't good swimmers and Dropsy isn't really very treatable for them. Most meds will kill them. They need when suffering illness very short distance to the top to breath and it was heated. Her condition was so bad I was 1 day away from aspirating her but luckily that hospital tank with pristine water made her able to survive after 2 months of intense care. I actually have a 10 gallon and a 2.5 gallon hospital tank as well for any others who need it.

Just sayin..these things can be used for something ..lol

And I'll add... My local Petco fish guy was worried when I bought that because it was soon after I bought my daughters Marble HM Betta. He actually asked what I was using it for making sure I had at least a better setup for the Betta. He then was relieved when he recalled several weeks before when I purchased the 4 gallon filtered tank. And the actually have a pamphlet right in front of the Betta cups telling customers the actual needs of a betta. Not the bs ones but more like here. A 2 gallon or more & told proper temps needed and next to them was a long isle of 2-6 gallon filtered tanks.
Sorry I wasnt having a go at you with my comment regarding my 1.5 gallon QT/Hospital tank that I bought.. I agree, smaller tanks do have a place in this hobby, and that is as temporary homes when you want to QT a new or sick fish..

I am just not used to keeping small tanks.. My smallest tanks are approx 16 gallons (standard 2 footer in Australia) that have a divider giving each fish approx 8 gallons each..

Cheers..
Backlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #88 
ollief9

Quote:
And that is actually very cool to hear that the pet stores where you live take better care of the bettas.
I'm not so sure, I've seen Bettas being kept in pint glasses at stores before *shudder*. You never see them in cups here but they're often kept in those 'betta barracks' things, like this:
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:32 AM   #89 
Backlash

Both my LFS and LPS keep their Betta's in one of these "Betta barracks" (as you call them), and I dont really see a problem with it.. It has a spill tank with a heater and filter underneath it, and stands approx 3ft x 3ft and about 4ft tall.. It is not meant to be their permanent home, just a temporary one until they are sold..

A VT Betta at my LFS/LPS costs about $10-$12 AUD.. If these stores were to house these Bettas in 2.5 gallon tanks, then I would expect to pay 2-3 times that due to the excess space that it would take up in the store alone.. Add to that the cost to build it, the additional maintenance costs, and running costs, etc etc and it would make the cost of a Betta unaffordable..

If a hobbyist (not a breeder) a hobbyist was to buy one of these "Betta barracks" to hold his/her fish in on a permanent basis, then they want beating with a big stick... lol..

Mark..
Backlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:41 AM   #90 
KKCOTNER

http://http://www.petfooddirect.com/...e&Extcid=CSEAZ

I don't know if anyone has seen this one yet....but seriously this has to be the worst ever!!! I mean really!!!
KKCOTNER is offline   Reply With Quote