Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #1 
FinneyFin

Question The best 5 to 10 gallon tank??

I just got a crowntail betta fish.His name is moonlight because his body is so pretty white he glows.Anyway he's currently in a 2.5 cylinder but I can't see him well.He loves to explore,I want to get him a bigger tank.I've read reviews online but I just get so many mixed answers.Does anyone have any recommendations? Also I would like a different heater that I can set the temp and it will adjust if the temp drops .My room has horrible drafts.He is such an awesome fishy...dancing for food already on day two! I want to give him the absolute best!!!!
FinneyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #2 
Jodah

The basic 5.5g kit at walmart will do ya just fine. Add a heater like a Fluval M50, or Aqueon Pro, Eheim Jager, etc. If you want something fancy, well, there's plenty of options there too.

Myself, I prefer to buy the bare tanks and set them up piece by piece. It may seem more expensive (and sometimes is) But I can get everything I want, exactly the way I want. Plus, I'm a diy kinda guy, and stubborn...
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #3 
FinneyFin

Ive been thinking about that too.Because alot of the items that come in kits I don't need or dont want.Walmart has a bare 10 gallon for 12.97. This may be a dumb question but what is the difference between a filter and air pump? I thought they were the same thing.I'm new to all this
Old 01-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #4 
Jodah

Yeah, sometimes it can get confusing. Some filters are air powered. The tetra whisper 3i for example, or a sponge filter that is air powered.

Petco is currently doing a $1/G sale til the 26th I think. May be mistaken on that.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #5 
Dragonii

As for tanks, it depends on how fancy you want it to be and how much you are willing to spend.
There is the new Aqueon Evolve line, availible in 2,4 and 8 gallons.

There is the Fluval Chi, availible in 5 and 6 gallon.

Fluval Ebi, 7.9 gallons.

The Penn Plax Radius line, 3.4, 5, 7.5 and 10 gallon.

There is the Penn Plax Axis, 6 gallon.

There are more, you just have to look around.
I just bought one of the 3.4 gallon Radius tanks. They come with filter and LED light.
Dragonii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #6 
FinneyFin

Wooow! Thank you for posting all those pictures! I really like a lot of those, especially the last one. I guess I'm lucky,I have a lot of space. I may not have the money now,but I told everyone if they want to give me a gift..I want a new tank haha
Old 01-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #7 
FinneyFin

Where did you buy the Radius tank? I looked it up online but I'm not finding a store that carries it or prices.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #8 
Dragonii

I got mine from Amazon. You could contact the guy in this thread too.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/so...pre-order.html

Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...nn+plax+radius
Dragonii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #9 
Pitluvs

Difference between a filter and an air pump is the filter is what circulates your water through filtration and back out into your tank. The air pump can be used to power a filter, bubble wand, decorations with air to create bubbles :)

The Tetra Whisper 3i is a filter powered by an air pump not an internal electrical motor :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #10 
FinneyFin

Those are very attractive tanks and right in the price range I was willing to pay! Thank you so much,I would have never found those tanks. @ Pitluvs, I'm not sure if mine filters the water or just creates bubbles. I bought a tank with a filter,heater,gravel,food and water conditioner for $20 bucks from a guy on craigslist,and I dont think they make it anymore. I cant find any info on it. I do know the heater is 5w and that does nothing for my tank.