Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #21 
Dragonii

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinneyFin View Post
That's the filter or airpump. It's attached to a circular thing that plugs into the wall

The heater is behind moonlight (under his bubble nest hehe) I'm so proud of it haha. I havent seen a heater like that in the store,have you?
Ok, that's an air stone, not a filter. All it does is add bubbles to help circulate and agitate the water.

Be careful with the heater. Those type do not have a thermostat and have been known to make the water too hot. Make sure you have a thermometer and watch the temperature.
Dragonii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #22 
Dragonii

Take a picture of the whole tank? I'm trying to make out what kind it is. The airstone may power an internal filter like an undergravel but I can tell.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #23 
FinneyFin

The water is low until I can get a cover,or new tank. I want to get the Aqueon pro heater. Im not sure which wattage I need.I would like to get one that would work well in both 2.5 and 5 gallon. So I wont need two heaters. Since I plan on getting the 5 gallon soon.

The filter sets inside the middle light.The light goes into a black mesh looking thing that sets in the bottom of the tank.Sorry I can't think of proper names for all these items.See the gravel? My gravel isnt black,it's blue glass pebbles..those are wedge between the black mesh thing and the tank.

Last edited by FinneyFin; 01-23-2012 at 11:39 AM.
FinneyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #24 
FinneyFin

Going off topic,but this would make a good cover.I just need to measure it and make sure it isnt too small. What do you think?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #25 
Rjb5584

The make-shift lid looks good to me.

BTW, the heater looks like a 7.5w Hydor mini-heater. They have an automatic shut-off switch when the water reaches 78 degrees, but get a digital thermometer to make sure everything is working the way it should. Sometimes the numbers aren't quite accurate.

I have one of those in one of my little tanks, and love it. If it isn't doing much, you could try a ZooMed Betta heater. Be careful though--they can get very hot and don't have the auto-shut-off. Their strength seems to be very random. I have one that barely heats the water above 5 degrees, and another that will raise it 12 degrees.
Rjb5584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #26 
FinneyFin

I just looked at the label, the 7 was rubbed off. Makes sense now,thank you. My thermometer said 65 last night. It worried me,I put my room heater on the side of the room with the tank and this morning the tank was 78. I also worry about the temp +/- too much. That's why I want a heater that will always keep it at a certain degrees efficiently. My room is about the garage, the temp is different everyday..literally. I haven't even figure out how to keep myself comfortable in the temperature.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=13582297 Even better cover. I love how much I learn from bettafish.com =)

Last edited by FinneyFin; 01-23-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #27 
scootshoot

Petco had a 1 dollar per gallon sale on 10 gallons and up. The bare 10 at 10 bucks was actually cheaper then a bare 5 gallon.

I was originally there to pick up a 10 but ended up getting a 15 long for 39 bucks which included fluorescent hood, filter and heater so am all good.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #28 
FinneyFin

That's awesome! The closest Petco to my house is about an hour away. I plan on making that drive though,so I can look at everything. Online they have way more selection of silk plants/decor then Petsmart. Petsmart has a bunch of plastic plants.Hopefully I can catch that sale! Thank you!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #29 
wallywestisthebest333

I'm not sure if anybody answered you properly or not (I read the whole thread but I may have missed something) so I'll take a stab at it.

What you have is an air pump and an air stone. If it drops into the bottom past a black mesh thing then it's an undergravel "filter".

Basically what an undergravel "Filter" does is suck all the gunk to the bottom. That's it. so when you do water changes you unplug the air pump and gravel vaccum.

I really hate undergravel filters personally because you don't usually have a sponge to establish bacteria on and that's really the point of a filter is so that you can have a biological filter going.

What I would recommend is getting a 5 or 10 gallon kit either from a pet store, online, or walmart.

Lots of places will have sales but you'll want to look at reviews of the site, seller, and all that stuff so that you get your money's worth and not a piece of junk that'll break a couple of months in use.

I got a 5 gallon kit from walmart (the standard kind not the super awesome hawkeye hex) and it's served me well for over a year now. It's beautiful when my tank isn't covered in algae. It's a solid investment as long as you treat it well and you're careful when moving and cleaning it.

You'll have to cycle it though. Oh and the filter isn't truly adjustable but propping the intake tub up a little softens the flow. THis makes it easier for your betta to swim about.

Hope I helped you some! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #30 
Dragonii

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
I'm not sure if anybody answered you properly or not (I read the whole thread but I may have missed something) so I'll take a stab at it.

What you have is an air pump and an air stone. If it drops into the bottom past a black mesh thing then it's an undergravel "filter".

Basically what an undergravel "Filter" does is suck all the gunk to the bottom. That's it. so when you do water changes you unplug the air pump and gravel vaccum.

I really hate undergravel filters personally because you don't usually have a sponge to establish bacteria on and that's really the point of a filter is so that you can have a biological filter going.

What I would recommend is getting a 5 or 10 gallon kit either from a pet store, online, or walmart.

Lots of places will have sales but you'll want to look at reviews of the site, seller, and all that stuff so that you get your money's worth and not a piece of junk that'll break a couple of months in use.

I got a 5 gallon kit from walmart (the standard kind not the super awesome hawkeye hex) and it's served me well for over a year now. It's beautiful when my tank isn't covered in algae. It's a solid investment as long as you treat it well and you're careful when moving and cleaning it.

You'll have to cycle it though. Oh and the filter isn't truly adjustable but propping the intake tub up a little softens the flow. THis makes it easier for your betta to swim about.

Hope I helped you some! =]

Yep, yep and yep.... well put.

How many gallons does that cylinder hold? I kind of like it.