Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #1 
animallover

Is he getting territorial with the catfish?

Mint,my Betta is just sitting over the catfish veggie round food and won't let them eat it! I fed them all the same time,went back and found him doing this! So, I lifted the cover,he came swimming up and I gave him a little more of his food.At the same time, 2/3 of my corries started eating their food real quick. Is this a problem? No other issues, just during feeding time.
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:13 AM   #2 
scrap

I've seen and heard of many bettas who like catfish pellets for some reason. The general consensus is to turn the lights out before dropping the pellets. Corycats find their food by touch so it won't bother them. This should help with the problem even if he's being territorial (as my betta has been a few times with the floating anacharis my corycats tried to clean up.

Also, are you feeding them catfish/bottom feeder pellets or algae pellets? Just wondering because you said veggie, and corycats need protein in their diet as well.

Last edited by scrap; 01-24-2012 at 04:15 AM.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #3 
animallover

Thank you so much! Great idea about the light. I have to get the bag,I'm to lazy to get up right now lol. What is the best brand/type to feed them? I was told these were good,along with flakes and I think it was brian shrimp?
Old 01-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #4 
SmokeNLark

Most algae wafers have protein in them. I'm not sure about the veggie rounds. Right now, my corys (and pleco) get API's algae wafers and shrimp pellets and frozen foods along with any flakes that my community doesn't eat right away.

And I agree, Turn the light off and feed them a while after that. They'll still be active and your betta will be resting. I have had 2 bettas that "protect" the algae wafers. haha. It's kind of cute.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #5 
animallover

Thank you both for replying! I seem to really ask dumb questions! Ok, so its not rounds.I have the following :Tetra Veggie Algae Wafers/Top Fin Algae Thins
Other Fish Foods for Betta's and Tetras etc are:Tetra Bloodworms Freeze Dried/TetraMin Tropical Flakes and Aqueon Betta Food (pellets).
***I alternate the foods so they get what they need***