Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #1 
Cilenez

Planning a 10g planted community tank for my betta, need imput

i have been planning a 10 gallon, planted, community tank for my future male betta. i would appreciate some input from everyone here.

for fish, i was thinking of:
4 dainty cory (corydoras habrosus)
4 red cherry shrimp
1 male betta

for plants, i was thinking of these:
Ceratopteris thalictroides (Water Sprite)
Hygrophilla angustifolia (Willow Leaf Hygrophilla)
Hygrophilla difformis (Water Wisteria)
Hygrophilla polysperma (Small Leafed Hygrophilla)
Vesicularia dubyana (Java Moss)
and maybe a moss ball

substrate i am going to use black diamond.
it will have a power filter with a sponge on the intake tube, baffled if needed.
for the light, a 15 watt or 20 watt?

thank you for your input,
Cilenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

I would add another 2 cories, minimum. Habrosus are tiny and will not add much to your bioload, and they are happiest in groups of six or more. :)

I'm not familiar with black diamond - just make sure it is a type of sand, or you will have sad tiny cories.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:07 AM   #3 
animals1315

What are RC fish?
animals1315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:37 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

Where did you see/hear the phrase RC fish, Animals?

Oh, I forgot to say, Cilenez, you could also get away with at least 10 RCS, no problems. :) I'd also go for the 20 watt light - it wouldn't stop you from having low-light plants, but it would also allow some medium light ones that you couldn't grow with the 15. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:53 AM   #5 
Cilenez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I would add another 2 cories, minimum. Habrosus are tiny and will not add much to your bioload, and they are happiest in groups of six or more. :)

I'm not familiar with black diamond - just make sure it is a type of sand, or you will have sad tiny cories.
black diamond was suggested (on the planted tank forum) to use for planted tanks so no anaerobic spots develop.

http://http://www.tractorsupply.com/...50-lb--3905403

i will add 2 more cories to my list. i was not sure, so i asked.

thank you
Old 01-23-2012, 04:56 AM   #6 
Cilenez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Where did you see/hear the phrase RC fish, Animals?

Oh, I forgot to say, Cilenez, you could also get away with at least 10 RCS, no problems. :) I'd also go for the 20 watt light - it wouldn't stop you from having low-light plants, but it would also allow some medium light ones that you couldn't grow with the 15. :)
again, thank you. i have not had RCS before, so i wanted to check.

now, what the about plants..? besides going with the 20 watt light.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like a good plan, however, on your lights....while 20w should be fine-giving you 2wpg...what is more important is the color temp of the bulb for live plants...look for "daylight" bulbs in the 5500-7000k range...6500k being best for the species of plants you plan-this color temp is close to the natural sun color temp-the plant can see this best to use for photosynthesis...I would start on at least 9-10h/day photoperiod and increase based on plant to algae growth...with planted tanks its a balance...the plants have to be given the tools so-to-speak....to grow and out-compete the algae....some algae is normal and expected in a container of water that has both lights and nutrients-but since this is a closed system we have to control it to a degree with manual removal and can limit it with proper lights/nutrient that support good plant growth.....

Your plant choices are good and should do well in a 10gal-I am not sure on the sand-since I have never used just sand to grow aquatic plants-I always have dirt under my sand.....lol......

Red cherry shrimp (RCS) are really neat little critters and they come in lots of different colors other than red-I keep both the reds and yellows, easy to care for and reproduce pretty fast....if you have a good clump of java moss attached to some driftwood or something-this will give the shrimpletts a good place to hide and feed on/in and provide some protection from both the Betta and corydoras...

Corydoras habrosus-neat little fish and pretty active, playful and fun to watch and as posted the more the better-make sure the sand isn't too sharp so not to cause mouth and/or barbel damage-they like the temp in a bit cooler range-but it is still within the Bettas range-I would try to maintain it in the 76-78F range to suit both....pretty easy to spawn too-when happy don't be surprised to see eggs attached to the glass or plant leaves...

Look forward to pic once you get it all setup....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #8 
Cilenez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Sounds like a good plan, however, on your lights....while 20w should be fine-giving you 2wpg...what is more important is the color temp of the bulb for live plants...look for "daylight" bulbs in the 5500-7000k range...6500k being best for the species of plants you plan-this color temp is close to the natural sun color temp-the plant can see this best to use for photosynthesis...I would start on at least 9-10h/day photoperiod and increase based on plant to algae growth...with planted tanks its a balance...the plants have to be given the tools so-to-speak....to grow and out-compete the algae....some algae is normal and expected in a container of water that has both lights and nutrients-but since this is a closed system we have to control it to a degree with manual removal and can limit it with proper lights/nutrient that support good plant growth.....

Your plant choices are good and should do well in a 10gal-I am not sure on the sand-since I have never used just sand to grow aquatic plants-I always have dirt under my sand.....lol......

Red cherry shrimp (RCS) are really neat little critters and they come in lots of different colors other than red-I keep both the reds and yellows, easy to care for and reproduce pretty fast....if you have a good clump of java moss attached to some driftwood or something-this will give the shrimpletts a good place to hide and feed on/in and provide some protection from both the Betta and corydoras...

Corydoras habrosus-neat little fish and pretty active, playful and fun to watch and as posted the more the better-make sure the sand isn't too sharp so not to cause mouth and/or barbel damage-they like the temp in a bit cooler range-but it is still within the Bettas range-I would try to maintain it in the 76-78F range to suit both....pretty easy to spawn too-when happy don't be surprised to see eggs attached to the glass or plant leaves...

Look forward to pic once you get it all setup....
thank you very much for what kind of bulbs i need.
note taken on the black diamond, i will check to make sure it is not sharp.

i am starting with this 10 gal tank for a male betta, then i have a 20 gal tank to do as a community planted tank too. one at a time, since i am new to planted tanks, but not new keeping fish or bettas. had a betta for 5 years before.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

When you start with live plants...its hard to go back to fake....lol....and what I have found with live plants....awesome behavior changes in the livestock....I have seen behaviors in some species that I keep that I thought I would never see.....and good that you have a 20gal...you will need it once the plants start growing-you will need a place for all the trimming..lol...

Hygrophilla's are great stem plants that can grow really fast when needs are met and usually need to be pinched back every week or so...or at least in my tanks-but I keep soil based that is high in nutrients(you can see pic of my NPT's in my album).....I pinch mine back and re-plant and the mother plant will get bushy and on the wisteria-you can pinch a leaf and let it float for a week-10 days and they usually will start to sprout roots-I usually will place a small rock on the roots until it takes hold on its own then remove the rock....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #10 
Cilenez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
When you start with live plants...its hard to go back to fake....lol....and what I have found with live plants....awesome behavior changes in the livestock....I have seen behaviors in some species that I keep that I thought I would never see.....and good that you have a 20gal...you will need it once the plants start growing-you will need a place for all the trimming..lol...

Hygrophilla's are great stem plants that can grow really fast when needs are met and usually need to be pinched back every week or so...or at least in my tanks-but I keep soil based that is high in nutrients(you can see pic of my NPT's in my album).....I pinch mine back and re-plant and the mother plant will get bushy and on the wisteria-you can pinch a leaf and let it float for a week-10 days and they usually will start to sprout roots-I usually will place a small rock on the roots until it takes hold on its own then remove the rock....

i really do appreciate all the advice. i have wanted to do a natural planted tank for some years now, but just have not been able to get around to it. it is time now.