Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #11 
kfryman

Oh I know, she has been on websites looking at possible fish and researching. I also file her to watch YouTube videos for what people say. Not like what everyone says is true, but if multiple people say it it is probably true. I gave get two channels that are reputable.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #12 
thekoimaiden

I'd be curious to know what they are, if you don't mind sharing. The only fish channel I have found on youtube is for MonsterFishKeepers.com. lol, it's more like dreaming for me than actual knowledge I can use. Also seeing the massive fish is awesome!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #13 
kfryman

Therossiboy, he doesn't have very many fish tanks but he puts effort into his tanks and on giving knowledge out. The other one is Dustinsfishtanks, he has a ton of tanks and two ponds. Here I will link both of them right here ---> http://www.youtube.com/user/Dustinsf...eature=g-all-u and then http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRossi...eo-mustangbase

I love watching their videos, Dustin actually has two websites, a forum and one that sells plants. His plants are a tad expenive but he actually gives you plants out of his own tanks. Oh and I gave her the link to all those tetras.

Any other suggestions?
Old 01-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #14 
thekoimaiden

Thanks for the channels! It's good to have some more fish channels. After watching Rossi's cardinal tetras I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to put in my 29 gal. Sooo pretty. I'm also kinda excited to plant it more heavily. Until now I've just done java fern, anubias, and hornwort.

For a 29 gal tank, not much is suited for it except tetras. I think there might be some cichlids that could be in there, but you would need to ask someone else about them. You could try asking over at TropicalFishKeeping.com (parent site of bettafish.com). I'm just giving you what I have researched and would put in my tank. Other people there have different tastes and can give you different ideas.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #15 
kfryman

Yeah I will tell them, they were gonna use a 7g, then they were gonna buy a 55g, and then they settled on 29g lol.

Yeah I want to make like a display tank, where I plan ahead.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:15 AM   #16 
TharBePirates

You're in the SF Bay area which is a pretty big hub for for the Freshwater fish hobby. You're at an advantage because a lot of clubs are around and rarer fish arrive in the bay area compared to other areas.

Have your sister check out the aquatic clubs around. SVAS (Silicon Valley Aquarium Society) is a south bay club. I dunno much about them but I know some members. I personally belong to SFAS (San Francisco Aquarium Society). Both of these clubs are very fish focused. They hold once a month meetings with guest speakers and auctions. Sometime you can get some pretty sweet deals on equipment, plants and livestock at the auctions, but it really varies from month to month.

Also take trips to the various local fish stores. You're in an area where you don't have to depend on Petspart. Most shops really take care of their stock and carry specialty items. I know of Neptunes in San Jose as a good place and I've also heard of Dolphin Pet Villiage.
SF has a higher amount of stores however my top two are Aquatic Central and http://www.adana-usa.com/. Aquatic has a solid selection and they do their best to keep their prices low. They are very helpful. Aqua Forest is very high end in terms of their equipment and style (they are the only retailer of Aqua Design Amano in the United States). However it's a wonderful place for getting inspiration on setting up a truly stunning setup and they also have some decently priced fish. Their specialty though is their large selection of aquatic plants. They have a lot of stuff you will not find out of a planted tank society (we have one of those in the bay area too btw).

Hope that helps.
TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #17 
Paigeyy

Ummm, i'd just like to comment that I think If you're going with tetras, I'd recommend RummyNose as they seem to get along with my betta better than the neons and they love to swim around in the open, so you can enjoy seeing them swimming around in a school rather than trying to find them hiding in plants and stuff like my neons do.
Paigeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #18 
kfryman

Okay thanks pirates. Is there an age restriction on the clubs?
Old 01-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #19 
TharBePirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Okay thanks pirates. Is there an age restriction on the clubs?
No. All of the clubs welcome all ages. A lot of people bring their children to the meetings even.
TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote