Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #31 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Yeah - it's nice to know what could happen. That's why I noted I want to be there for her, not come home or wake up to her dead She's again downing the water like no tomorrow... which ends up just going out the other end as fast as she takes it in x.x And it hurts for her to be touched (I would hrut too, if my bones were sticking out). The vet was pretty grim when he told me what it could be... Even if it is ovarian cysts, or diabetes, I won't be able to afford the surgery :( here is a question... if it is something more minor, could I legit put an ad up asking someone to please take her, tell them what happened, and that she needs medical care I wasn't expecting to give so soon, therefore lack the funds? I'd hate to do it... But I would if it meant keeping her alive.
You certainly could put up an ad as long as you were honest about her health. Technically you don't even have to be honest but I don't think that's fair to the new owner or her. It would probably be very difficult to rehome her with her medical problems. Are there any guinea pig rescues in the area? Another idea is to maybe sell things you don't need on craigslist (or the Candian version) to raise some money. You could sell art projects in the classifieds section.

Is her main issue the urine in the blood and excessive thirst? That doesn't sound like ovarian cysts. The main signs of ovarian cysts are hairloss on the sides, behavior changes, and painful to the touch belly. Of course the urinary tract is also right there so that could be whats causing her pain. Only ovarian cysts would require surgery not diabetes. I would wait to see what the doctor says tomorrow before making any major decisions. It turn out that the medicine is not that expensive and that they are willing to work with you in terms of payments. To prepare you, they will need to run tests though to figure out what is wrong which will also cost money. My guess is at the very least they'll need a urine sample to test. If they suspect diabetes they will need to draw some blood. Looking for ovarian cysts will require an ultrasound or an X-ray. I suspect though that they'll start with the urine and then treat her and see if she improves.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #32 
Sena Hansler

Yeah technically the previous owners were not honest
They said 70.00 for a checkup, and that is literally...all I have. Unless I want to rack up my credit which I am trying not to touch my card since I've already used it in emergency situations this month.
Does the urine test cost? I really was not expecting this. Really. I contacted the old owners, and left some questions with them like: diet, when they took them to the vet and why, health history, and when and where they got them. I also explained how it's costing me a lot, because she needs vet care asap.

If I have to, I still will try seeing if someone with a good heart (and a better income) will take her.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #33 
hedgehog

Yes when they test the urine it will cost some amount of money. I'm not sure how much though. They can't give her any meds without making a diagnosis first and they can't for sure make the diagnosis without doing the test. Just because it sounds like she a UTI doesn't mean they can just prescribe the medicine for it. Go in tomorrow with an open mind. Have a list of all her symptoms handy so you don't forget anything. Ask them if they have a payment plan available. If they want to run tests ask first what they plan on doing and why and also how much it will cost. Then you can make informed decisions.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #34 
Sena Hansler

Sounds good. I've already run by him some things even the guinea site, and people on here mentioned, and I told him I have no clue of her history, or if she was with a male, or anything. It isn't a matter of an open mind... It's a matter of what I can afford. I was able to afford checkups... but I never expected my new pets to be ill right when I got them so it's kind of a "I'm angry" and "I'm worried" and "What if"s
Old 01-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #35 
hedgehog

I totally understand. What I meant by keep an open mind was don't be so down already. I know that's hard when your guinea pig is already sick but you don't know that the cost of treatment. Right now you're talking about kidney failure when it could be something much less severe and that may not cost so much to treat. I'm going to say it again just talk to your vet tomorrow, explain the circumstances and discuss possible payment plans. Right now it makes sense to be concerned for your new pet but already thinking about keeping her comfortable and euthanasia costs when you don't even know what's actually going on is getting a little ahead of yourself. I'll keep you and Creature in my thoughts. Sending you good wishes!
Old 01-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #36 
Sena Hansler

I got another problem now... Epcor lied to me, they told me I could put my account (electricity) onto auto withdrawl and they'd remove the 200 deposit. LIES. I now owe 200 by tomorrow now I'm stressed, even more overwhelmed and don't know how to make ANY payments.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #37 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I wish you guys luck tomorrow at the vet's office <3
Hopefully Creature isn't as bad as she looks..

Also don't count on those people responding to your questions, ;(
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #38 
Sena Hansler

Well I won't have much luck without electricity. -.- epcor has royally screwed me over.

and I noticed the guinea site takes forever for a single reply.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #39 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Oh man, hope you figure out your electricity. o-O
I'd start looking for a guinea pig/small animal rescue in your area. Even send them a message and see if they could do anything for you. A less overcrowded rescue would probably take the time to help you.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #40 
Sena Hansler

There's only the pound/vet clinic...which is where I went... there literally is no rescue near me I can get to. I did post an ad though...for the sake of the guinea. I explained what happened, and that she needs someone's help asap and hopefully someone'll see it once they post it!! I'd rather this way then let her sit without treatments...

And I am legit being told by 2 people they'll help me but I feel bad enough.