Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2007, 11:44 AM   #1 
beetlebz

some new bettas.. gunna learn me somethin!

so I decided to use my old 10 gal for my mean agressive dwarf gourami, and I bought a new 10 gal (because i need more tanks like i need a hole in the head) which currently has 3 female bettas in it. I just about 10 minutes ago picked up a whisper 10 hob filter (my whisper 30 even on low made a whirlpool in there) and I have spare heaters laying around. my questions are these...

1) if I put my agressive dwarf back into the 30 gal (which he did fine in) could my docile dwarf go in the 10 with the 3 female bettas? they will be the only things in the tank, and the last time i tried female bettas the docile dwarf didnt bother them at all. The tank is well planted with fake plants, im just worried about over stocking.

2) whats an ideal feeding schedule like for bettas? i know most betta food says 2 or 3x a week but is it problematic to feed as long as they are eating it? and besides that, i feed all my fish a rotating supply of freeze dried blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, and tetramin crisps. not to mention the occasional peas... never betta food.

3) whats an ideal temp range for them? most of my tanks hang around 80 degrees because my green severums constantly look like they might have a budding case of ich, although it never gets any worse. (not to mention my 30 gal and 110 gal both have FW salt in them). But for this tank, i can go with whatever temp will be best for them.

thanks guys :) i dont want these guys to die like my last two :(
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:25 AM   #2 
willow

i have no info to give,as i don't know
about Bettas,......just wondering how you
getting on ? :)
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:23 PM   #3 
beetlebz

Well thanks for askin willow :)

so far the nasty little chick betta (we call her Bi*ch :D) has been reintroduced to the other 3 in the 10 gal, and i added a BUNCH more plants. still a little normal nipping going on but they all get along more or less. when it cycles a little more i MIGHT try adding my friendly dwarf gourami with them but for now they are fine. their colors have all come out and they are just gorgeous! one red, one white with red fins, one blue, and one black with blue fins.

I have the temp around 75 degrees and they seem to enjoy it well enough. they are active, personable and my lord can they eat. Im feeding little bits of tetramin crisps 2x a day when i feed the rest of my fish, with the occasional frozen brine shrimp and freezedried bloodworms. they are growing well but not bloating sooo I guess they are just fine.

on a side note, my 110 just had a huge ich outbreak lol good thing ive been keeping up with the salt in it! ;)
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:07 PM   #4 
willow

glad you're swimming along(pun intended lol)
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:55 PM   #5 
tophat665

Ive got two happy male bettas - Dan by himself in a nicely planted 5.5 and Bruce in a Planted 10 with 2 ADFs. I feed both of them about a dozen betta pellets every night, but I skip one night a week if it occurs to me. I get live brine every week or two and feed a dozen or so to each betta. I've been feeding bloodworms to Bruce's frogs, and I'm sure he gets some of them. Once in a while I'll feed them flake, and once in a great while chopped peas.

These are both happy, healthy, active fish. Part of this may be the food, probably part of it is that I put a couple tablespoons of peat between the two sponges in their filters.
tophat665 is offline   Reply With Quote