Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2012, 04:43 AM   #1 
shelbs

Bettas and Ghost Shrimps

My boyfriend bought me 3 ghost shrimp to put in my 5.5 gallon tank last night. At first my betta seemed fine with them but when I woke up this morning my poor betta's tail was torn up. I thought it was tail rot at first. I went to work and when I got home, the tail looked worse. I saw a shrimp swim to the top of my tank so I tried putting some freeze-dried blood worms to see it's reaction. My fish immediate went to eat it and the stupid shrimp bit my fish's tail. My poor baby tried swimming away but couldn't and a chunk of his tail ripped off. I immediately took the shrimp out of my tank and killed them.

I highly suggest you don't add stupid ghost shrimp in your tank. It's so not worth it. Although they are super inexpensive, they are not worth the money. My poor betta is now missing 3/4 of an inch of his once beautiful tail. Hopefully it grows back to the same length. The past 24 hours has been way too stressful for him. I hope he recovers soon.

I'm sure it is different with every fish and tank. I guess it just didn't work out with mine. Just be very careful and observe your tank when first introducing the shrimp in. Also, make sure they are well fed and are the right kind of shrimp. There is a type of shrimp that looks almost identical but known to be more aggressive.
shelbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #2 
Silverfang

I had wondered if it might be the shrimp chewing on my girls.

I had also heard about another kind of shrimp that looks similar to a ghost shrimp, but was every big as aggressive as the ones you described. Definitely wise to separate them.

Wishing warm fishy recovery to his poor tail. Might try a less agressive kind of shrimp, RCS are docile, and smaller, and amanos are great for cleaning up debris. (I'm on about 36 hours of having one in with my boy, and both are fine).
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #3 
Bonbonisbff

That sucks :( I'm sorry. I guess I'm lucky, because my 7 shrimp and Male CT betta get along flawlessly :) Best of luck in future purchases!
Bonbonisbff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #4 
alysalouise

I have around 10 or so, and 2 are in with 1 of my bettas, well their in my divided 10 gallon and they somehow get over the dividers and are sometimes with a different betta, but they do just fine with my bettas, sometimes their at the top when im feeding so i toss in a pellet by them and they grab is and find a place to start munching on it, they fight each other over the pellet but sometimes just snatch one from my bettas lol

Maybe it was just the ones you got that werent very good. Hope your betta revovers well though!
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote