Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #1 
JurassicBetta65

10 gallon betta tank

I have the idea of 3 females, 5 neon tetra so far. I was wondering about adding another 3 fish to the tank. But I was thinking it woulld be too much. What do you think? (Im a noob)
JurassicBetta65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

You'd want 4 females at least, the tank has to be heavily planted with decor. Also 6 neon tetras would be better, because they tend to nip other fish in smaller groups. If you want to opt for a more peaceful tetra, you could try the ember tetras, but neons could work. I'd say that'd be the max for a 10 gallon though.
I recommend reading this article on betta sororities on this thread:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29402
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #3 
JurassicBetta65

How many plants is the right amount? I have a fairly large trex skull in there and definately want a bunch of those fern-like plants. It is meant to be themed like that. It will be set up in a few weeks because I'm not really working too much now that school has started. I was origionally planning on 5 of those. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3924442 Needless to say it is supposed to look like a skull from the dinosaur fell to the bottom of a pond. I like naturalistic looks, but sometimes bringing things that aren't naturally there into the quarium.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

DO NOT buy those ferns. They are marked as aquatic but they are not, and they will almost surely rot in your tank, causing ammonia and wasting money. There are TONS of plants pet smart sells that will rot underwater, so research em all first.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...mdn=Fish+Decor
I think those are pretty jurassic looking, plus try and find some mosses at a different store.
Check under the betta photos for sororities people have posted to get a good idea of how much foliage to put.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:10 AM   #5 
JurassicBetta65

That explains why all my other fish died. I added 3 of those and then added the fish a few weeks later and they died.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Well for that, maybe your tank wasn't fully cycled? It's important to get a good cycle going. there's a good article on that here also.
Those plants would only kill your fish after they rotted, rotten plants release toxic ammonia, which is why you have to take out dead plants asap.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

+1 to what Olympia has said, but I would say get 5 females minimum, 6 max, and no other fish. 6 bettas stock a 10 gallon to the point where another school of fish, such as tetras, would be too much (and yes, I am a massive hypocrite, but my tank is triple filtered, heavily planted and I do daily water changes, so don't copy my bad example. :p).
There are also many other plants that are easy to keep - java fern, java moss, anubias, anacharis, ambulia, cabomba (if it's legal where you are, it isn't here), hornwort, lacefern, rotala and ludwigia are all some examples. Floating plants like duckweed and water lettuce will make your bettas feel more secure. :)

As far as planting, stuff that tank full. The more plants you have, breaking up the lines of sight, the more likely your sorority is to be peaceful.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote