Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #1 
MaxGreenMDE

OH MY GOD HORRIBLE rotten egg smell!!

So yeah..the sand is definitely going. I am doing a water change right now and the minute that i got the water low enough this HUGE HORRIBLE smell is coming from the sand..

What in the WORLD caused that?!
MaxGreenMDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #2 
Bambi

Rotting food maybe? Did you wash the sand before adding it to your tank?
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Sound like the substrate went anaerobic...how deep was the sand bed, any live plants, how long has the tank been setup, any filtration used, how much and how often on the water changes, stocking, tank size, water temp, additives used...if you have livestock in the tank I would remove them until you get this straighten out.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

You said before that you had a problem with it being cloudy- that and the smell is probably from not washing it well enough. You haven't had it long enough to be toxic gas build up. But rotten eggs is the smell of sulpher- probably was in your sand from not being washed well enough.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #5 
MaxGreenMDE

I just did a THOROUGH tank wash. Took Dahvie out took the tank to the sink dumped out the water put the sand in a big bowl THOROUGHLY rinsed sand massaged sand stirred sand the whole nine yards..THOROUGHLY washed the tank with a rag (of course no soap) put everything back, water is clear and smell is gone. Even the water was rank it was just YUCK! He hasn't been in that for long because I played with him this morning and didn't smell anything so this had to have come up front within the hour.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Well, know that you got the smell out, it shouldn't come back.
What size tank is it again?
When you change the water, maybe drain it out with an aquarium vaccuum from now on, then stir the sand around each time to prevent more smelly stuff from accumulating in the sand.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #7 
MaxGreenMDE

it's 2.5 gallon.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

so 50% change once a week and 100% change once a week.
Yea, invest in an aquarium vaccuum if you don't have one, and stir the sand twice a week I'd say.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #9 
Dragonii

I use sand all the time. I have 5 tanks, ranging from 3 to 150 gallons, all have sand in them. I have never had an issue with any smell from them.

But, I wash the sand very well before using it, I keep the sand bed shallow (except for the cichlids) and I stir it up every once in a while.
Dragonii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:29 AM   #10 
callistra

yeah you really need to vacuum the gravel along with the change. agreed anaerobic bacteria build up. Even adding a little bubbler will help with this. In my hospital tank I have a small air diffuser set up in the corner and that alone will help cut down on bad bacteria.

I have no idea what brand it is but the air diffuses here are true MIST bubblers. They are not Lee's Discard a Stones despite looking identical. I got two with filters and thought I could replace them locally when they clogged.. not at all the same.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts....ngeFilter.html

Just grab and adapter out of another diffuser pack or break at tube off a stone and attach with airline and pump and the quietest gentlest anything I've ever seen. Wish I knew what brand they use.

Last edited by callistra; 01-24-2012 at 12:32 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote