Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #1 
Creat

Any ideas.. ANY!

Unless you havent seen nor heard from me read this first http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=91350

Now then I am completely out of my element I normally know what to do and catch diseases early and I would really like to re start my collection and breeding again but not until this is worked out. I am moving in late march so I have time to sterilize and do what ever. I plan on bleaching my tanks, pumps, etc, and having them rinsed out very well. But I am lost on what to do with my sand. And if you have any idea of what I have been battling please let me know.
I have tried fungal, bacterial, parasitic... I am so lost. I have all sorts of medications available at my disposal. Right after I lost half my fish I quarantined all the others, so none now are sick but they all might have something still. Something sets it off and I lost another fish a week ago. It acts like an internal bacteria infection it might be one but I can never up the dose enough before the fish dies. Anyone have any ideas...
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #2 
BettaMommy531rip

Have you tried epsom salt? That battles inside diseases. Also try Jungle's Anti-Prasite Pellets. They eat them so it goes inside to kill the issue. That's the best idea I have, sorry I've never had this problem :(
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #3 
callistra

How exactly are you sterilizing equipment? At this point I would bleach (10% solution) for a minimum of 10 minutes the tank itself and anything else non porous that you can bleach. The rocks, plants etc, anything porous or that can't stand the bleach I would toss and start over.

To treat internal bacterial Kanaplex by Seachem is a good bet. Fed and bathed. Otherwise Maracyn 2 (Maracyns in combo to prevent secondary infection while treating) bathing or feeding or possibly Maracyn Plus.

Epsom salts do not help diseases, except in the case of chemical/ammonia poisoning, constipation or for dropsy. In the case of dropsy it just helps remove fluid build up buying more time for meds to actually work.

Last edited by callistra; 01-23-2012 at 08:26 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #4 
Creat

I have tried the jungle anti-parasite medication however not the Kanaplex I will have to try to get some.
I sterilize equipment many ways one was to use just water and let it dry. Another time I used high concentration of salt and drying (for 48 hrs). Then I tried rid ich followed by salt then drying. I think I went over it in the link. But I will try the bleach.
Update: An otto is sick today. He is bent in half breathing heavily he is also started to pinecone so I added a little epsom salt.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #5 
BETTACHKALOVE

So sorry ...maybe you need to stop breeding them for a little bit and just have them as a pet...Sorry I just think it so difficult to breed when you have all that problems. May be you need completely make sure they don’t carry disease anymore and then breed again.. Sorry..

Also you saying that otto is sick and you added a little Epsom salt. When you treat with Epsom salt or Aquarium salt you need to do correct dosages and duration otherwise it not going to work.

If you need instructions on that i do know them all and i can write it for you. Just let me know. I do have saved on my computer instructions that Oldfishlady wrote.

I also have saved on my computer Oldfishlady instructions how to treat ICK for betta. So let me know because if you did something wrong it might not work...

I heard that it really difficult to treat parasites. Are you sure what kind of parasites it is?
For internal parasites Epsom salt recommended; for external-aquarium salt.

Also you saying that you tried to treat with Maracin . When you treat with Maracin you need to combine Maracin and Maracin 2. You need to use both of them. One is for gram negative and another for gram positive.

Also there is another mix of medication I really recommending. TETRACYCLINE API mix together with FUNGUS ELIMINATOR by Jungle. Tetracycline API for gram positive and gram negative bacteria. A lot of stores don’t have Fungus Eliminator though. You can order it 888-373-8686.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #6 
Creat

I did stop breeding immediately and havent sense this problem happened. I wouldnt dare do that to a living creature. I have kept all my betta quarantined for months after I discovered something was wrong then.
I have treated with epsom salt and aq salt before. I just added the epsom salt to keep the otto comfortable knowing that he was way beyond healing and I had nothing to euthanize him with ( 2tsp per gal is what he got). And I dont know what it is. I think it is a internal bacteria infection and thats what I have been focusing on but due to the lack of results I am not sure. I have clout for parasites but nothing had made me believe it is one.
I can try to post pics if anyone wants them but they dont show much plus I dont think I have that many.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #7 
BETTACHKALOVE

The symptoms that you described it doesn’t look like it internal or external parasites at all I think. Also you saying that you tried so many medications and I don’t think it good, it just make the immune system weak and resistant to medications. I think before you treat make sure you know what it is. Because if you use the medications that they don’t need you do more damage than help :(

Also I agree with Callistra about disinfection and It the best way. Just need to wash it million times make sure there is no residue and let it air dry. I did it one time I even did it with regular bleach. And you can’t share any equipment between them. I am not sure if you use the same net between them or anything else.

Also did you try aquarium salt 3 tsp/gall with 100% water changes?

I never used Kanaplex I heard from people that it good. Is it for gram negative and gram positive bacteria?

Also someone sand me a link about Flexibacter infection which is contagious. http://www.flippersandfins.net/flexibacter.htmI read it long time ago i think you can find in that link about Kanaplex and Tetracycline.

My point that fish can have bacterial infection together with fungal and you never know that…and Tetracycline you can use together with fungal medications.

How many fish do you have left. Do they still have the same symptoms? Did you already treat them?
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #8 
Creat

I know dont worry I tried different medications for different fish I wouldnt put them all in there it would probably kill the fish DX. I have tried just aq salt I think i put it up here that it had the best effect when used alone. Right now I have 4 betta left (not counting my other fish), 3 females one male, they are all separate and get separate caught with the same net but I use net disinfectant ( which is not worth the money) but switched to a methylene blue mix. None of my fish are sick right now, but the otto passed away too.
Usually what happens ( posted in the link above) is the fish tun pale, sometimes they clamp up. Then they will get little red spots on the ends of their fins, not full blown septicemia. Then they can stay like that for months but now they last maybe days and then they stop eating and will die usually in 24hrs.