Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #21 
callistra

You're over a full week like this with no improvement? Your boy is obviously stressed but I can't imagine it's not time for some meds.. At least look into it since you may need to order.

For bacterial infections you're looking for Kanaplex and Focus by Seachem or Maracyn and Maracyn 2 in combo. Skinny might suggest internal parasites but since he's not eaten in over a week that could account for that as well. Metrodazinole and Focus by seachem or a premade antiparasite pellet would treat this, if it came to it, but I'd venture it's bacterial at this point.

What did his poops look like?

Start with the epsoms but if you see no improvement over the next couple/few days meds are needed. Honestly, I think they're needed now but I understand wanting to try epsoms first.. it's just.. he's not bloated..so IDK.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #22 
Jimmybetta

Thx Callistra - poops were pellet-colored reddish brown (nothing pea green as of yet...) - and almost perfectly round. smushed easily in a paper towel. Update from this am - he is now floating with his head at water surface, body vertical -- I can't tell if the floating is real or he's just figured out how to balance himself on his stiff tail fins to position himself like that. Will be able to tell tonight when I water change/Epsom and put him whole tank for a bit. He seems more listless now.... I can get Maracyn and Maracyn II at local pet store when I get the Epsom. What's funny is that I had both in my hands this past weekend and the pet store "expert" recommended against them. Is it dangerous to dose both at same time?
Jimmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #23 
Sena Hansler

Dangerous to use Maracyn and Maracyn 2 together?! No. Stop listening to him!! D: Maracyn and Maracyn 2 work together to get after positive and negative bacteria, and can be used together or on their own, and can be used while using epsom. I've had to use Maracyn2 and epsom together, never had a problem :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #24 
Jimmybetta

I'm thinking I will go with Epsom and start the Maracyn+II treatments tonight.

To all that have responded, again, grateful for experts like you!
Old 01-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #25 
Sena Hansler

Good idea and good luck!
Old 01-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #26 
Jimmybetta

Hi all. Hope someone is on to offer opinion. Local pet store has maracyn + II but also has tetracycline, triple sulfa, furan-2, e.m. erythromycin and something called "clout"..... are any of these a better choice at this point than maracyn + II ??
Old 01-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #27 
Sena Hansler

If you lack maracyn to work with maracyn2, go with Furan2. I have it, it works the same, as using both of those
Old 01-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #28 
Jimmybetta

They have maracyn and the maracyn 2. So those or the furan?
Old 01-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #29 
callistra

Furan 2 contains two drugs that go after gram positive and gram negative infections but I'm not sure either are as readily absorbed as the Minocycline in Maracyn 2.. don't know either way as I'm not as familiar with Furan 2. I'd probably start with the Maracyns as see how that goes.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #30 
Sena Hansler

I've used Maracyn 2 on one betta, Furan on another...I dunno Furan is another good to have on hand kind of med Same with Maracyn (both), ich meds, both salts... By the time it's my birthday (May) I'll have a cabinet of beta meds. And my med cabinet for humans will have: advil and bandaids