Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #31 
Jimmybetta

Hi all - I'm sorry to post that my Buddy lost the fight tonight. By the time I got home tonight with the Epsom and meds, he was gone. thank you so much for your timely and wisdom-rich responses to try to help. My daughter wants to bury him in the herb garden tomorrow so hope the ground isn't frozen solid! SO, we will try again, armed with betta information. I will set up the 2.5L Fluval intended for him for another. Which begs more questions, do you have to get a filter-based tank in a nitrogen cycle before adding a betta? I have water conditioner with a bacterial "starter" in it - does that automatically cut down on (eliminate?) cycle time? And re getting another, others have really talked the quality of pet-store bettas down - if not there, where can I get a healthy one? online breeder?
Despite our collective best efforts, RIP Buddy Betta.
Jimmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #32 
Indyfishy

I'm sooooo sorry you lost the little guy, I was rooting for him =( A 2.5 gallon is too small to cycle, so no worries there. All you have to do is change the water twice weekly, one 50 and one 100%, with conditioner of course. Since you are new to bettas, you should probably go with either a pet store fish, or a local breeder. Importing a fish from another state or country can be difficult for new owners, and many times fish do not do well when they are introduced to new water conditions. Pet store fish can be healthy, just do your best in finding a store where the water looks relatively clean and the fish are healthy looking (clear eyes, relatively active, no lesions or slimey patches, no salt-grain like things on them, etc).
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #33 
Jimmybetta

Thanks, Indyfish. Can I use the conditioner with the bacterial additive or would that just be problematic in the small tank? I have reg. conditioner so no big deal. The local shops have the saddest fish I have ever seen re condition/fins, etc. I'd also like to get one on the younger side - and I don't think the pet stores would have age info on their stock? The lure of online, breeder sourced fish is hard to resist - I saw the most GORGEOUS platinum white HM boy tonight! I'm preferential to HMs but they are hard to find locally (at least here) and of good quality. But I know its not worth it until I prove myself a worthy betta mom (*SIGH*). Do you buy yours locally?
Old 01-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #34 
Jimmybetta

ALso, forgot to ask, we replaced our plastic plants with silk - will they be safe re not tearing fins? what are your thoughts on live plants?
Old 01-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #35 
Indyfishy

No problem!!! I would use the regular conditioner to be on the safe side, I'm not sure what the added bacteria would do in a smaller tank, but I'm guessing that it would cloud the water up. You can probably find a local breeder online, check out aquabid.com. There's even people on this site that breed, check out the Breeding section to see who has a spawn going, or look in the Classifieds section. I'm not saying that you cannot buy a fish from far away, or that you're unworthy, but it is expensive and it would definitely suck to have a super gorgeous fish arrive dead on arrival, or die when it arrives because it just can't acclimate to our water. I do buy locally, my fish are all from petsmart. Miraculously, my petsmart takes great care of their fish, so I haven't had a problem with them yet! Silk plants are great, I use a few in my tanks along with smooth plastic ones. I don't use live plants just because I fear that since I have 2.5 gallon tanks, all the water changes could disrupt them, but you could give it a shot! There's a forum member on her named PewPewPew, she's an expert on plants. You could also ask OldFishLady, they are both knowledgable about aquatic plant life =)
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #36 
Jimmybetta

Thanks for the thoughts, Indyfish. Will post again when the new boy gets established.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #37 
Jimmybetta

seriously - how pretty is this?
Old 01-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #38 
Jimmybetta

on Aquabid i might add! but (sigh) in Thailand!