Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #1 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Trying for a winter spawn

Ok so, I am trying to do a spawn between my male HM I got from Basement bettas and a female that I bred out of his sister and another HM Male I have named Mr Soprano. The issue is that Henry is close to 1 1/2 years old now. Does anyone know how old is too old for males to spawn? On the plus side he has built a nest in the spawn tank and that's more than he did the other failed attempts I had at spawning him. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Here is Henry the Male I am trying to spawn.
Name:  new fish 021.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  51.1 KB
Here is a link to the thread about the females spawn.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=85182
And here is the most recent picture I have of her. She has great branching and form as well as a wide dorsal. She is the best female I got out of her spawn.
Name:  hjhjh 009.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  40.6 KB

As for now the pair has been conditioned and the female is separated from the male in a floating fry tank. I did release her once and she was very flirty but after she froze up for just a second by the nest he hit her and chased her away so I separated her again. She is ready and willing and I hope he is not to old and grumpy to spawn one last time.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #2 
on388

Good Luck!
on388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #3 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Thanks!!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #4 
Bambi

They're generally at their best 4months to a year i think,but as long as they're healthy and willing then you can try it. As long as the female is younger the eggs should be fine. He may get less fertilized then he might have when he was younger but it should be fine.

If he doesn't work out though did you keep a sibling male from her spawn? Cuz she's cute and I'd love to see some of her babies.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #5 
tpocicat

I really love that female! Is the male a rosetail? Looks that way in the pic.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #6 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
They're generally at their best 4months to a year i think,but as long as they're healthy and willing then you can try it. As long as the female is younger the eggs should be fine. He may get less fertilized then he might have when he was younger but it should be fine.

If he doesn't work out though did you keep a sibling male from her spawn? Cuz she's cute and I'd love to see some of her babies.
I do have a sibling male but she is much bigger than all of the other fish out of the spawn and she just keeps getting bigger. Plus Henry (the male I am trying to spawn her with) has some A++ genetics, and I had anticipated spawning him to his sister but they were never compatible. This female is my chance to get the spawn I was trying to get 6 months ago. To be honest I think she has better form than her mother.

Ok I got a spawn!! Video is uploading as we speak! She finally started dropping eggs and luckily daddy is experienced and tended to the eggs quickly, because she made no effort to help him out with the "kids".
Old 01-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #7 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
I really love that female! Is the male a rosetail? Looks that way in the pic.
Thanks! As for the male being a rose-tail, that would be up to the person viewing the fish and their own opinion. I have posted many pictures of fish that Karen bred (martinismommy), that have the same fin structure as mine and people will say they are not rose-tails, so I let it go to be honest. Personally I feel that any fish that matches the description defining rose-tails is a rose-tail but according to popular opinion I am wrong.

Not sure is that clears it up but I want to tread lightly since rose-tails tend to be a sensitive subject around here.

As a note to anyone posting in this thread I would appreciate people keeping any comments they have about rose-tails in the rose-tail thread so that my spawn log can stay on topic. Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 01-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #8 
tpocicat

Just asking, didn't mean anything by it. I really don't have an a opinion either way.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #9 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
Just asking, didn't mean anything by it. I really don't have an a opinion either way.
I know it's ok , that was just a general note not directed at you in anyway.
I have bred this male before and I had some comments that I didn't appreciate about rose-tails so I just wanted to address the issue before it came up.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #10 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Video of them spawning!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bYNLY_x-tM