Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #1 
LilyK

Angry Emergency spawn-help

background: so my roommate and I both own bettas; she has George and I have Roch and Binx. Normally we clean our tanks on the same day of the week so we can keep on a cleaning schedule with our tanks.
I went out this morning to do errands and she offered to clean my tanks for me; I didn't see an issue, she is a competent betta owner.

HOWEVER; I came back to find both of my tanks clean, but she put ROCH AND BINX IN THE SAME HOLDING CONTAINER! Roch must have whipped up a quick bubble nest, and I knew that Binx was eggy and I found both of them spawning like maniacs in a large Tupperware container! my roommate had no idea! I separated them as soon as possible but the deed was done.

What do I do? I do not have room to raise the fry!
LilyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

I would dispose of the eggs.
Separate the fish, scoop the eggs and throw them in the trash.
If you're not prepared to raise fry it would just be cruel to let them hatch and watch them die.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #3 
LilyK

Exactly what I did, much to the chagrin of both fish. I'm so mad at my roommate for letting this happen.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #4 
betta lover1507

ok listen, they would hatch in two days.
i would start with egg yolk, boil an egg use the yolk when they start swimming in the 2nd or 3rd day of hatching.
i used the potato experiment, but it smells 0-0 if you want to know peel a potato, use the inner potato not the outter, live it in water for 2 days and remove it WARNING smells bad. another for the first week is getting live plants to have infusoria (like the potato) and fries would eat that. also do not feed fries when they hatch just feed them the 5th day of hatching (they should be able to swim by then)
sorry to hear that. get a heater or so to keep them warm.
tend to the parents too, males would be kept with the eggs until they start swimming, remove the male after wards, he would get depressed so give him care. the female would be torn up, just fix that she isn't really sad about anything. do CAREFUL moving since the fries will need space, remember not all live. i lost my first 2 spawns.

if you are not able try to contact a breeder and see what they say about this emergencey they are wayy to young for travel, i would love to take them i live in IL.chicago also am a beginner breeder so i may help if you decide to keep them if i would be able to ship fries (when they are able to swim) is to put live plants, heat pack(s).
sorry to hear about that, good luck
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #5 
LilyK

I already got rid of the eggs as soon as I saw that they had spawned. I just don't have the time or room to house fry. Binx seems ok, a little torn up but nothing to major; Rochambeau is moping in his tank but he'll get over it.
I would love to be able to have the room, time, and space to breed legitimately but being in grad school doesn't really allow for that.
My roommate feels terrible about the whole situation.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #6 
betta lover1507

am in 8th grade :P and i am a beginner breeder, fish keeper, snake keeper, and snake breeder assistant (soon when my brother gets his male)
it must've been hard to do that, give your male special attention. he will need warm water and something he could have that he could not be bored (flaring time, need a mirror or so)
ask DQ to close the thread, good luck on caring for the fish :)

Last edited by betta lover1507; 01-22-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #7 
LilyK

Thank you!
Old 01-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #8 
betta lover1507

any time lily so how did the female or male get in the same container? did your room mate put them accidentally together?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #9 
tpocicat

Luckily, after bettas breed, they heal very quickly as long as there is no infection. You did the right thing.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:06 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Isnt it funny how, when you're TRYING to breed they take their time and dilly dally around but when you DON'T want them to breed they do it pretty quickly? You did the right thing, Lily.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote