Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #1 
minanicole

what KIND of betta?

So, I've posted these pics before when I introduced him. x) But I'm actually pretty curious as to what kind of betta he is exactly?

I tried looking at the betta colors/species lists but I'm not very good at figuring it out.

link to pics: http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?albumid=3194
minanicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #2 
LittleBettas

I would say a red and pink bi-colored VT
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #3 
minanicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
I would say a red and pink bi-colored VT
Hmmm, so you DO think he's a VT? I wasn't sure, because I didn't think his fins were long enough! Can bettas' fins grow?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

I'd say he's a VT too. He's stunning!

If you got him from a petshop with cold/dirty water, he may have lost some tail, in which case it may get longer. Sometimes, though, bettas just have different length tails because of genetics. In shows, it can be a fault but show regulations are pretty picky, so it hardly matters. He's gorgeous. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:23 AM   #5 
Bambi

He is indeed a VT. xD
How long his fins are doesn't really matter, though he could be young or ecoveing fom fin damage. Their fins continue to grow for a long time, it just slows drastically as they age.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:44 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Beautiful betta! His fins are not super long, no, but I've had VTs with the same length of fins as yours, without damage or age being a factor. Some bettas have shorter fins, while others have the really long fins. Bi-colored, I think. And he is very pretty ^^
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:15 AM   #7 
Shirleythebetta

I say to answer your question "can betta fins grow?" for sure they can! I think yours is a Veil Tail too and my Veil tale boy looked just like yours when I bought him. Now his fins are about 2 and a half inches long!
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #8 
MandiceP

My first ever VT betta I got at the petco I worked at back then. He grew way bigger and got lots of finnage in just about a year. He lived to be about 4. I miss him terribly. He was a blue cambodian boy with the cutest little grumpy face. I wish I could find the pic of him a year later, because the change in fins was amazing! He didn't have fin rot or anything when I got him, he just grew up and matured. I think your betta's colors are amazing and he looks nice and happy and healthy! Congrats!
MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #9 
minanicole

Thank you guys!

I never would've guessed:) I'm very new to the world of bettas, and I'm just now learning everything about them. It's quite exciting.

I'm excited to see how his fins grow out, I'll be taking puhlenty of pictures to keep track of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I'd say he's a VT too. He's stunning!

If you got him from a petshop with cold/dirty water, he may have lost some tail, in which case it may get longer. Sometimes, though, bettas just have different length tails because of genetics. In shows, it can be a fault but show regulations are pretty picky, so it hardly matters. He's gorgeous. :)
I didn't even know that they had fish shows! That is so cool. But I don't know why they would rule longer fins better, I think shorter fins are a whole different look of their own. I like both for what they are:)

Quote:
My first ever VT betta I got at the petco I worked at back then. He grew way bigger and got lots of finnage in just about a year. He lived to be about 4. I miss him terribly. He was a blue cambodian boy with the cutest little grumpy face. I wish I could find the pic of him a year later, because the change in fins was amazing! He didn't have fin rot or anything when I got him, he just grew up and matured. I think your betta's colors are amazing and he looks nice and happy and healthy! Congrats!
Jaxon has the funniest grumpy face!! It makes me chuckle, his lips are in a constant pout. x) What does it mean when you say that he was cambodian? that's really cool:) I'll be sure to take pictures of him so I can keep track of how his fins have grown.

But seriously, thank you all for identifying him. Now I can actually make a signature X) pink and red bi-colored veiltail. he's my first:)
Old 01-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Cambodian is a light bodied betta with (usually red or a shade of red) darker fins. I have a cambodian boy (Conan) and had rescued then adopted out Reggie, who also was a cambodian.
http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=cambod...1t:429,r:3,s:0
Some are like this, some have a different shade of body, and most I've seen are red cambodians, or a deep maroon however, they apparently do come in other colors
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote