Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2012, 11:56 PM   #1 
Amphibianite

Not Exactly Dropsy But

So here is my problem. My male CT is incredibly swollen in the stomach, it is definatly fluid and not a tumor. I can see light through it(as in when a light in light behind I can see where it is etc. His scales are not raised and he doesn't have any other signs of Dropsy. He eats like a pig still (not that I feed him like that), he flares and is generally healthy and happy. He is just incredibly swollen. He is in a heated 1 gal with frequent water changed sometimes not as often as I should, but everyone has that happen once in awhile.
I have tried treating with Marecyn plus and marecyn 2, and epsom salts. Nothing seems to work.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

We need more info and a pic.....
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

You don't want to confuse a normal large tummy with bloat or drospy...usually you will have more signs/symptoms....its not uncommon for the CT tummy to appear larger due to body shape....but to be sure complete the sticky link I provided and post.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #3 
Amphibianite

OFL I will try to get a pic, but I know its not the normal bloat, or CT belly. It is huge, at least doubles his width and height at the belly. It is incredibly swollen just like pics of dropsy I have seen.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gal
What temperature is your tank? roughly 72-74
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated? heated by room(heater in front of it keeping room at 74*, blowing facing tank. Does keep temp above 70
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? aqueon betta pellets and bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?1 or 2 times weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?50 and 100
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?none usually
(no need for water softner/dechlorinator. on private well)

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? extremely bloating looks like liquid filled because there is no bobbing)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?none at all
When did you start noticing the symptoms?couple weeks ago it kinda showed up over night
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?have treated with marecyn plus and marecyn 2, epsom salts
Does your fish have any history of being ill? fought and survived a mystery disease several months back
How old is your fish (approximately)8- 9 months maybe little more
Old 01-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Scales not sticking up and he is eating and pooping okay and otherwise acting his normal self other than the extended abdomen...correct.....

How much Epsom salt did you use and for how long....no change with the antibiotics correct......

Any other treatments tried or fasting...etc.....

A pic would really help-both from the side and from above.....also, the edema...symmetrical or asymmetrical
Old 01-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #5 
Amphibianite

correct no other problems but the extended belly. I used 1.5 tsp every few day with water change for a week or so. I stopped it for awhile will be trying it again.
No changes with the medication.
tried fasting for a few days, but no change there.
it is symmetrical. I will try to get a picture today when I do water changed.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #6 
Amphibianite

Here are some pics
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Oh my....my best guess is either fatty liver or tumor...short of taking him to a vet you are limited....I would get him in Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) 3tsp/gal, tannins and water changes and if he seems to be suffering you need to do what is right by him......but don't give up too soon either...I have had one live for a pretty long time in that shape-never seemed to bother him-was just as active, eating....etc....as any other Betta I had...he just looked terrible.....and since your guy is otherwise acting his normal self-I would try the Epsom salt high dose and see if that will help reduce the edema-I don't think it will...but it won't hurt.....

Good luck....
Old 01-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #8 
Amphibianite

He is acting his old self honestly. Happy, swims fine, eats like a pig, the works. Just is bulged.
Now I have to ask even though I know the answer is most likely no. Is there any chance I can breed him once? He is one of my favorite fish ever since I got him I had planned to breed him. I was going to breed him before this occurred, but his planned mate died. I got a new mate and have been decon her and feeding her up. I would love to breed him once just so I don't lose his colors. I had so many plans for him and would hate to loose him and his line.

Again Thank you for your help OFL
Old 01-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Personally I wouldn't...but usually this isn't a genetic problem so if you do....it shouldn't be an issue with the offspring.....