Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2012, 12:16 AM   #1 
bettalover2033

Korra Keeps Releasing Eggs Too Soon

Well it happened (again). She released the eggs too soon and the male is also too focused on chasing her. I could see that she was full of eggs and was rewdy to breed but the male (Draco) would wiggle his caudal and she would run away.

This pair is probably the most frustrating since i first started breeding.

This is one question I dont know: Why does she release the eggs too soon. Today is the 3rd day they have been togther. 1/23/12.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #2 
Fasht

Just a hunch, maybe she's too excited or she's frightened
Fasht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #3 
bettalover2033

I wqs thinking that she mightbhave been to excited because she wanted to and he was basically saying wait. It could also be because she is a young female. Ive never had this happen to me and i bred bettas at as young as 4 months.

I hope she doesnt do this again. I guess I have to recondition them for a two or three days.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #4 
betta lover1507

am sorry of what happened BL2033 i hope she could learn from her mistakes i would love to see a spawn log from them
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #5 
bettalover2033

Yeah, but I'm not going to make a log yet because I don't want another attempt to fail and have to continue to make more spawn logs. It wouldn't make sense plus I don't want to keep disappointing people and then making so many threads. It will make me have less followers.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #6 
betta lover1507

you should spawn them first and then do a log that's what i did
Old 01-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #7 
bettalover2033

Yeah thats what im planning on.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

How did you introduce them?
Try using a different female to set the mood of the male..... say alternately float 2 0r 3 different females each day. When he has a big nest (about 3 days later), release the female you want to breed. Be sure that she was in total solitary - can't see other bettas, specially males.

Do not use that many hiding places for the female. .... yes I know this is risky for her but the male must quickly be ready - before her. Hiding places will allow her to rest, away from the male. Thus while her eggs ripens, he is not.

Another way is to use a rather docile male so she won't be attacked when she approaches the nest. But a previously known docile male may not be so docile in his following spawn.

good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #9 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
How did you introduce them?
Try using a different female to set the mood of the male..... say alternately float 2 Or 3 different females each day. When he has a big nest (about 3 days later), release the female you want to breed. Be sure that she was in total solitary - can't see other bettas, specially males.

Do not use that many hiding places for the female. .... yes I know this is risky for her but the male must quickly be ready - before her. Hiding places will allow her to rest, away from the male. Thus while her eggs ripens, he is not.

Another way is to use a rather docile male so she won't be attacked when she approaches the nest. But a previously known docile male may not be so docile in his following spawn.

good luck.
The way that I usually introduce her to him is first floating her in the tank for 1 day after conditioning so it will give the male time to build the nest (If he decides to build one), but if he doesn't build one I still release her to avoid her dropping the eggs too soon. This project, he did build a nest that was very small and I released her either way because he was going to make it bigger anyway.

I do not have ANY other females. I know, I know. There should be a back up pair. Though with this project I got a reverse trio. 2Males 1Female. Though I should be getting some more female possibly (im guessing) 1 week to 2 weeks right now. Though I don't know for sure. It may even be longer.

When you said, About 2-3 females a day do you mean switch the females everyday? And then when he has a big bubblenest release the female (AFTER) three days (being that he still has a big bubblenest)?

Ah that makes sense! So I'l just have the live plants and no other decorations. I had it like that before when I had Bowen ( the more aggressive male ) with her. You can see in my avatar maybe that he has really taken his tole on her. He stripped her whole anal fin and she only had 1/3 of her caudal with less than half of the dorsal. I immediately took her out because she looked like she was literally going to die.

I have a docile male as well, but he isn't breeding quality. He was the free cull that came with the order of the reverse trio. Also I have had that happen. A docile male and then I used him a third time and that time he wasn't very "kind" and "sweet." He was actually VERY aggressive and I do recall him finally flaring at most of everything around him. The female would usually tear a good amount of his fins off and she he was the one to chase her.

Thanks indjo for clarifying this all! And help is really appreciated from you!
Old 01-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #10 
betta lover1507

i think she/he meant to keep the female in the spawning tank i could be wrong good luck BL2033 i had rose fill of eggs but they kept falling out (not alot) and she didn't spawn (male was being a little crazy, acting like a catfish lol)