Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #1 
JurassicBetta65

Gravel/live plants

For my betta sorority I will have live plants, but I really like the black gravel that I have in there. What can I do to have live plants grow in the gravel? I've heard of using fertilizer tabs, but last time I did that my water got really murky.
JurassicBetta65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:13 AM   #2 
wolfiegreen

I've never had trouble with live plants in gravel o.o. I've got 4 tanks right now with gravel and plenty of plants to prove it java fern is a really easy one if you have trouble
wolfiegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:35 AM   #3 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Only the really fancy plants need root tabs and specialized substrate. Java fern, anarcharis, anubias, hornwort, and water sprite (when floating) are all easy plants that won't require anything but light from you. Java fern can be tied to driftwood or bury the roots in the gravel. Anubias does best rooted to driftwood or left to float. Anarcharis and hornwort look best when put in the gravel, but they don't need root tabs. Water sprite is best to left floating in your case.

ETA: I have all of those plants in tanks with basic brown gravel. Nothing special.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:00 AM   #4 
yayagirl1209

I use Seachem Flourish Root Tabs for my crypts and swords. I haven't had any problems with it clouding the water in my gravel based tank. And my plants seem really happy with it.
yayagirl1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #5 
JurassicBetta65

I found out I had trouble because in the past I used a fern that was sold from petsmart and wasn't actually aquatic. So basically most plants will be fine with gravel and nothing else? As for floating plants, what would you recommend that has a nice root system? Kind of like the water lettuce in a pond.
JurassicBetta65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

Mot basic plants will be just fine for gravel. Very few plants are what are known as 'root-feeders' (taking their nutrients from the substrate). Things like grasses and baby tears are root-feeders. Most plants (anacharis, lacefern, rotala, ludwigia, all that) are water-column feeders. If you do want to add fertiliser, go with liquid ferts, such as Seachem Flourish. :) All my plants grow fine in gravel (and floating above the gravel where my cories dislodge them) with just a little bit of fertiliser. :)

You can get water lettuce for tanks, too. I believe OldFishLady has some in her STUNNING NPT. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicBetta65 View Post
I found out I had trouble because in the past I used a fern that was sold from petsmart and wasn't actually aquatic. So basically most plants will be fine with gravel and nothing else? As for floating plants, what would you recommend that has a nice root system? Kind of like the water lettuce in a pond.
Water sprite produces nice roots that hang down. I have some in my 29 gal community and 55 gal goldfish tank. They are also great at taking up nutrients. Good choice for any aquarium.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote