Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2012, 02:19 AM   #1 
maggie9059789

Random,What happens if Betta eats a bug?

So yesterday i was feeding Blazer when all if a sudden a bug came crawling on the same table my 1.75 gallon is on. So I don't exactly know what this type of bug is but they cann't fly but they crawl/ climb very well like sometmes even on walls. Just wondering but what do you think would happen if one crawl on top of my tank, fell through the mesh material covering the tank opening. I'm pretty sure based on my lik guy's curiousity and him being a carnivore and all that he would eat the bug, or put it in his mouth and chew it then spit it out. Do you think he would get sick or something from that?

Oh and btw i was just wondering this HASN'T happened. ( at least I'm pretty sure it hasnt hahaha) just me having random yet Paranoid case senerios

Haha thanks for reading all my rambling, have an awesome day/ night =)
maggie9059789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #2 
Gen2387

I don't think it's dagerous for your fish. They do eat bugs sometimes in the wild. As long as there's not some kind of pesticide used around your house and some of it went on the bug... In that case, I'm not exactly sure what the consequences would be...

But for a little bug, I'm not too concerned.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #3 
maggie9059789

Haha okay then thanks ( but it seriously is more than a 'little 'bug it's a couple timesbigger than my betta's eye, and he's an pretty big male crowntail, nit to mention these bugs crawl and climb almost even better than spiders)hahaha okies thrn thanks again

Last edited by maggie9059789; 01-24-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #4 
Firewood

Whenever I catch a small bug around the house, I give it to my guy. It's never done him any harm. I figure, betttas are insectivores, so why not? I normally fast him for a day or two after, depending on the insects size, and never feed him anything too big.
Firewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Bettas eat bugs in the wild. If anything he'll just be like "WOAH THAT WAS GOOD" -hunts for more-
My bamboo plant got mites and I just fed all the bigger ones (like .5mm only) to my fish. xD
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

-snickers- it'll be digested

here's a story.

One day a fly decided to take a swim. Of course he had never heard of Sasuke, the demon lurking beneath the waters... He was doing the backstroke when BAM he was hit from behind! He looked around and could not find the culprit, and then he got snatched from below by his leg, shook, then released... He tried to make a swim for it, and sadly, Mr. Fly never got to the edge of the lake, and was repeatedly attacked by a red creature he had never seen in his short lifespan
the end.
okay, well, the fly died of murder by drowning. After Sasuke tore him to pieces.

Anyways... Aphids used to drown in my tanks and the bettas would either play with them (or like Sasuke, murder and leave it) or eat them. I fed them mosquitos since our area does not spray pesticides or herbicides.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

In the summer I feed mosquito larvae from our rain barrel. :D
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

bettas love extra food stuff... :3
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

Mosquito - best betta food ever. It's a really good size for their mouths and boy, do they love it. I send my dad outside (he's a mosquito magnet) and let them land on him so he can catch them for my babies. =D Mosquito larva are great, too.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #10 
maggie9059789

lool even though it sounds like it brings joy to my betta, i dont think i can cope with the fear of something happening with my betta with those creepy bugs XP hahahah but his happines is worth it

so in the summer, i catch a mosquito or two then what? feed them live?freeze them?ugh i dont wanna like squish and kill it haha,oooh like maybe catch them then like put water in the container then dump them mosquito into his tank?

Tags
bug