Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #1 
debit202

Question Spike finally seems happy, BUT...

Hi everyone- I've had my Betta (named Spike) for a little over a week now and after an upgrade to a 6 gallon tank(from 1g) addition of live plants. good water readings from tests, he finally seems happy and his water conditions are good. But- I've heard about the betta bubbles and I've yet to see one- they make them at the buttom of the tank right? How big are they and what do they look like? If he doesn't make any- does that mean he's unhappy- cause I don't want that! Please advise and thanks in advance--

Last edited by debit202; 02-15-2012 at 10:51 AM. Reason: spelling
debit202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #2 
scootshoot

Bubbles are just a sign your betta feels horny that day, nothing more.

How strong is your filter? If your filter is too strong (creates currents atop the water) it may be destroying the bubbles on days he feels horny.

Bubbles float atop the water and look sorta like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qWsh...eature=related bubble nest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufslx...eature=related male in the act of building one
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #3 
xjenuhfur

Bubble nests appear on the top of the water on the tank. It technically means that they are happy and healthy enough to spawn with a female. :)
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

Betta build bubble nests even in the tiny cold cups at the pet store. It doesn't mean they are happy. It means they feel up to breeding.

I have my bettas in 10 gal, 78F tanks with lots of live plants, but I only have one guy who regularly builds nests. Having any surface movement will prevent/discourage them from building nests. It's not a bad thing that he doesn't build bubble nests.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #5 
AcrimoniousArbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
Bubbles are just a sign your betta feels horny that day, nothing more.

How strong is your filter? If your filter is too strong (creates currents atop the water) it may be destroying the bubbles on days he feels horny.

Bubbles float atop the water and look sorta like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qWsh...eature=related bubble nest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufslx...eature=related male in the act of building one
I laughed embarrassingly loud at the "horny" parts of that
AcrimoniousArbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #6 
debit202

LOL Ok I've seen Spike up there and I've seen the bubble bank as I call it too- I thought that was something indicating I've had a water problem so I tested and everything was ok-LOL- what a dip I am!Good to know now- I'll watch for this activity now- must be that cute plant he's cozing up to she's a live one
Old 02-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #7 
Myates

Some of mine will only build a nest when there is a leaf or two floating on top- they will build under it.

Bettas build for breeding, territory, and even when a weather system is coming through- and we like to think for happiness, but fish don't become "happy" in the way we do.. Too hard/soft of water can play in it too, as bettas use a "spit" of theirs to have the bubbles hold form, but some water conditions will cause the bubbles to pop, etc.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

I find that my boy Odysseus very rarely builds nests, but if I do want to prompt a flurry of bubbles, a water change with a fresh IAL seems to do the trick. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #9 
debit202

Excuse my ignorance-but whats an IAL?
Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #10 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I find that my boy Odysseus very rarely builds nests, but if I do want to prompt a flurry of bubbles, a water change with a fresh IAL seems to do the trick. :)
I've noticed a similar pattern with Rosso. He likes to build bubble nests a couple of days after water changes. As everyone has mentioned, bubble nests aren't exactly a show of happiness. In science we can measure happiness only by what people tell us. What a bubble nest can indicate is that your boy is healthy and ready to breed.

As mentioned before, strong currents can affect bubble nests and if your betta is still settling in, he may not be ready yet or maybe there is another factor affecting his bubble blowing. Keep in mind that all male bettas are not the same. Some bettas may not be very good and bubble blowing and you may see a small nest, whereas others may build huge nests.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote