Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #1 
MaxGreenMDE

Oh what did I do wrong?!

I'm in tears right now I just checked on Dahvie and now his beautiful tail looks like it's the beginning of rot or something. I don't know what in the world I could have possibly done wrong I've been changing the water as instructed but no matter how many times I change it the water still clouded. I'm only just now getting the filter today. I was keeping him warm as instructed I used a blanket and my heating vent which did great.

Why is he sick now? What can I do? I'm scared now!
MaxGreenMDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #2 
blueridge

Don't panic! It could be the beginnings of fin rot or it could be something else. You might want to check on any decorations in your tank he could have ripped a fin on those if they are sharp or he could be tail biting. Pictures would be great if you could do that!
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #3 
SnowySurface

It seems like this isn't your first time getting advice. Hopefully I'm not repeating anything you've already heard. ^_^

The cloudiness is a simpiler problem so I'll start there. If adding a filter does not help with the cloudiness, are you using cheap gravel (from Walmart), fine gravel, or sand? I ask because those substrates are the hardest to rinse thoroughly enough to prevent cloudying. Cheap gravel and fine gravel will have a lot of dust from that can take endless rinsing to remove. I need a full 45 minutes to an hour to rinse my sand well enough for it to settle down without making my 5 gallon tanks water look hazy. If you tank is around 3 gallons and has one of the substrates I asked about, remove the substrate and rinse over and over.

Now, if your tank is 5 gallons or more, it's not the water. 5 gallon and more tanks can "cycle" naturally. The first step of the cycle is a sudden increase in ammonia levels that can easily reach 4ppm. If your fish is fine in his tank for a few days before the water damages his fins, then that is how long it takes for the tank cycle to begin. There is nothing you can do to prevent it but you can do daily 50% water changes until the ammonia build up part of the cycle is finished.

You'll also need a heater if you tank is 3-5 gallons or more. The vent may only heat up part of the water that is closest to the tank side it faces. That causes temperature gradients when the water isn't moving. Once you turn on your filter you may see a lower temperature on your thermometer once all the water is mixed together. If you don't have a thermometer, then you'll need one. You would be surprised how warm water feels to a human that a tropical fish would consider cold. :)

However, I'm not sure how to help you if your tank is less than 3 gallons. It is possible to keep a betta in a set up as small as 1 gallon but it won't be stable. Ammonia spikes can happen randomly because a 1 gallon is too small to hold a cycle but the ammonia will still build up. They are very difficult to heat consistantly but I have had good luck in the past with the hydor mini heater (found it on amazon).

Post back if the problem still isn't fixed or my advice is a bit off. Pictures would also be nice if you are able.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #4 
MaxGreenMDE

I just took a video because it's VERY hard for me to get a good picture of him he does not like photos at all. He hates it even more when I take a video but I do anyway >.>. will be posting it soon.

and my tank is 2.5 gal
Old 01-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #5 
MaxGreenMDE

here's the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05qRqMU6rzg
Old 01-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #6 
pretzelsz

Just gonna but in here to give some friendly advice on the video.
The most likely reason your fish(most fish) don't like pictures or video is due to the very bright light(flash) it stresses them out quite a bit as it looks like with your betta. My advice is to turn it off and you will most likely have a much easier time getting the photo and the quality will be 100x better.
pretzelsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Is this the same tank that has the rotten egg smell and what are the white bead looking things floating at the surface of the tank....

Need the stats....
Tank size, how long has it been setup, type of substrate and how deep, water temp, how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, any live plants, how long have you had the Betta and has he ever been sick and/or treated, any tank mates, what is the source water-well water, city supplied tap water and if tap water-does it go through a water softening unit or anything...type of additives used....can you describe in detail what the tail looks like since you can't get a pic, how long has it been like that and any behavior changes, appetite...etc.....have you added the filter yet....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #8 
SnowySurface

Ah. I didn't realize you were having a rotten egg smell with sand. I use sand in both of my 5 gallon tanks. I notice it helps to stir the sand a bit about every 2 weeks or so to make sure nothing toxic is building up.

After watching the video I don't think you washed your sand completely. The trick to washing sand is the fact that you are really rinsing it. Stirring up sand in a bucket is a waste of time if you don't constantly pour off the water that holds all the stuff you want out of your sand. If you are still want to use black sand, then you have to rinse like crazy. I had to spend 45 minutes to an hour rinseing my sand to get it clean enough for my tank and I still had clouding in one of my tanks. That tank too another 15 minutes of rinsing. So, I feel your pain when it somes to cloudy water. ;_;

As for his tail, could he be biting it himself? It seems like he's had his tank change many times very rapidly. He could be stressed enough to do the damage to himself.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #9 
MaxGreenMDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Is this the same tank that has the rotten egg smell and what are the white bead looking things floating at the surface of the tank....

Need the stats....
Tank size, how long has it been setup, type of substrate and how deep, water temp, how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, any live plants, how long have you had the Betta and has he ever been sick and/or treated, any tank mates, what is the source water-well water, city supplied tap water and if tap water-does it go through a water softening unit or anything...type of additives used....can you describe in detail what the tail looks like since you can't get a pic, how long has it been like that and any behavior changes, appetite...etc.....have you added the filter yet....
if you're talking about the stuff on the edges that's his bubble nests. he makes those. if you're talking about what was floating in the middle. that was a piece of his food.

2.5 gallon and has been set up for maybe a week? I use sand..not very deep at all I can stick my finger in it and feel the bottom with little to no effort. The water temp is always changing because I won't have a heater until friday it goes from 74 to 82. I use a blanket to keep him warm with my heating vent in my room. No it's not right on top of the vent. I've been having to change water about everyday because of this mess and the last one was yesterday when I did a thorough cleaning involving taking EVERYTHING even the sand out and re-washing it all. no live plants. had him for about a week no he has never been sick or treated. no tank mates. city water no to water softening unit. I use Top Fin betta water conditioner and top fin bacteria supplement. It just looks like it's been eaten off. I only found it today. no changes in behavior. he seems like he never eats i don't SEE him eat i only see him spit his pellets back out but when i come back in later the pellets are gone so i can only assume he eats idk. i added the filter in today.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Good that you removed the sand, however, most likely the smell is due to the bacteria supplement.

If the fins look to be eroding away...I would get him in QT and start Aquarium salt 2tsp/gal, tannins and water changes for 10 days...

Did you ever get your water test...if so, post the numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and type of testing product used...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote