Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #1 
coydog429

Bloated female Betta

Ok all, I am in need of your expert advice. I am new to keeping betta fish and have reciently gotten a female betta. To tell you the truth it was not the one I had picked out at the pet store (they had 4 females in a display tank) and when we got home she turned out to be bloated and lethargic. She looks as if she swallowed a small marble and her scales are kinda sticking out around her swollen belly. She is in a little qt tank, wanted to put her in my 20g with live plants and stacked rock background. What should I be doing to help her? I have been using 2-3 pieces of aq salt (predissolved) in her tank in case it might be a paracite. There has been no change in her for the last 2 days, this is day 3 since I got her. To top it off I am seeing her fins getting rather ragged. sorry for the quality of the pictures, need to upgrade my camera.
Name:  100_0099.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  14.2 KB
Name:  100_0100.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  18.2 KB
Name:  100_0101.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  15.0 KB
Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 G
What temperature is your tank? 80* F
Does your tank have a filter? yes (sponge)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? n/a
Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra BettaMin flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? once daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 10%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Ammo Lock

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? yes

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 5ppm
pH:7.2
Hardness: ?
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? no change
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? still sctively swimming
When did you start noticing the symptoms? as soon as I got her home from the pet store 3 days
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes, tried no feedings for last 24 hours, a little AQ salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? unknown
How old is your fish (approximately)? adult ?
coydog429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Definitely get her out of the aq salt. That'll worsen any bloating.

Get her on epsom salt at 1 tsp/gal (Dissolve first) immediately and slowly work her up to 3 tsp/gal over a 24 hour period. 100% changes daily and redose the salt daily as well.

The epsom salt will help with the fluid build up causing the raised scales and will help her poop. I her poop is stringy and white, start her immediately on an anti-parasite medication like General Cure or Jungle brand. If she does go on a parasite medication, keep her on the epsom salt too.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #3 
coydog429

Ok, I will get her on the antiparasite that I have. It is Jungle brand. I used Aquarium salt since i did not have epsom, I will pic up more tomarrow!! She has pooped but there has been no change in her bloating, it was red and "Thick". ok off to change her water now!
Old 01-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

She may not need the antiparasite, but it might help out with the bloating.

The epsom salt should be unscented and uncolored and should be rather cheap at a grocery store.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #5 
coydog429

I will get the epsom salt tomarrow when my husband gets home from work. I usually have some on hand but happened to run out on Thursday
Old 01-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #6 
coydog429

Epsom Salt

Ok all, I went to put in 1 tsp of the epsom salt when I changed her water and noticed that she has popped some of her scales so I now have just the water in there without any medications and am not sure what to do. Can anyone help my poor little girl?
Old 01-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #7 
Pataflafla

So her scales are sticking out now?

Start her on the epsom salt asap. It won't hurt her, but will help relieve what's causing the scales to raise. Work her up to 3 tsp/gal over 24 hours. After that, when you change her water you can just add 3 tsp/gal dissolved.

For medication try either an anti-parasite or anti-bacterial. General Cure or Jungle brand for anti-parasite. Maracyn 1 & 2 (You'll want to combine both, but they are light sensitive so keep things dark) or Seachem Kanaplex.

Before deciding on a medication, see if her poop changes at all after the epsom salt is introduced. It acts as a laxative so she should start going after a few hours.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #8 
callistra

I was going to say really hard to tell from the low quality photos but one of them looks like a dropsy silhouette.. Fully dissolve the epsoms before adding but yes you need to use epsoms now along with a good internal antibiotic. Look for Kanaplex and Focus (feed and bathe.. can help teach how to mix up food if you can get it) by Seachem or Maracyn 1/2 combo. If you suspect parasites you can feed an antiparasite food or mix your own with metronidazole and focus (Seachem again), but I wouldn't jump to that unless you have evidence. I would focus on the epsoms and antibiotics.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #9 
coydog429

Ok, I will get the epsom into her tank now and let you all know how she is doing in the morning. I was already using a anti perasite but stopped once I saw the scales on the bottom, she has a patch on the bottom of her belly without scales. Thank you for all the info! will definatly let you know how she is in the morning.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #10 
coydog429

Alright I have upped the epsom to 1.5 tsp/g and still no change in her. Poops are still the same and still boated.