Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #1 
konekoanni

Possible Fungus Problem? Advice, please.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5G
What temperature is your tank? 76-80 F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqua Culture betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 100% once a week, partial changes every few days as needed.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None (I use filtered water)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? ...not recently. Probably should.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Pale fuzz on his body
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? More lethargic than usual
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2 months

All right, so I noticed the other day that my betta was having swim bladder problems again. I started fasting him yesterday, but when I was checking up on him I noticed that he has a weird, pale fuzz on his body. It doesn't look like Ick--not grain-like, more fuzzy--but isn't as widespread as the pictures I've seen of fungal infections. His fins seem to be doing okay, but it's hard to tell since he's still recovering from swim bladder issues/constipation.

He's had swim bladder/constipation problems before, which I handled with fasting (didn't have to use a pea, he recovered on his own) but I've never seen the fuzz before. I did let his bowl get kind of dirty this month (shame on me) so I'm wondering if it's fungus from the water getting worse than usual.

I don't want to start treatment until I'm sure what's going on, since it would be silly and potentially harmful to treat him for fungus if he's got Ick, and vice-versa. Just based on the picture, it looks kind of like other photos of Ick I saw from Googling, but it definitely looks fuzzy up close, which makes me think it's fungus of some kind. Some confirmation from you guys would be extremely helpful before I start treatment.

(This is my third betta, so I'm not a total newbie, but this is the first time I've encountered anything other than the usual swim bladder problems, so I'm unsure how to proceed.)
konekoanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #2 
callistra

What do you mean when you say you use filtered water?

Unless you are using natural spring water or RO water (Distilled is not good) you still need to be using a water treatment like Prime or Stress Coat.

Looks like Velvet to me..
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #3 
konekoanni

I use a Brita filter. I tested the filtered water when I first moved here, and it had acceptable levels, but it's possible it's changed since then. I should probably check it again.

You're right, now that I've looked at more pictures of velvet, that looks to me like what it is as well. A lot of websites are saying that I should add some aquarium salt...guess I'll start with that.

Off to Petco for some betta meds~
Old 01-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #4 
callistra

Britta filter is definitely not replacing a the dechlorinator. Sure it removes some stuff but not all -that- much. I would not use this filtered water at all actually. Just use tap plus dechlorinator but you need to be adding dechlorinator either way.

Coppersafe or anything with Malachite Green will treat Velvet. Also increase temp to 80-82 and leave him in the dark as Velvet actually makes use of photo synthesis and will die if it can't get light.

Last edited by callistra; 01-24-2012 at 07:31 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #5 
konekoanni

Yeah, I just took a cup of the filtered water to Petco's free testing, and it was acceptable but not great. But don't worry, I picked up some Stress Coat while I was getting the protozoa killer. Petco had an awful selection of freshwater medicine, but the guy said they should be getting some Coppersafe in tomorrow, so I'll go back. The only thing they had was "Hikari Betta Revive" which has good reviews, but I'm wary of "cure-all" medicines that target a lot of different problems.

Already changed the water last night, but I'll change it again in the morning with some aquarium salt. Also moving the bowl to a shady corner of the living room to reduce light. Got my fingers crossed!