Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #11 
callistra

Give him a couple days. Sometimes stress will make them not want to eat.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #12 
AngesRadieux

Okay. I hope he starts eating again soon... His fins are definitely deteriorating now. Do they grow back or does the fact that it was caused by a chemical make it more difficult for the fins to regrow? His eyes look just a little cloudy, but not terrible. I really hope he pulls through.
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #13 
Pataflafla

Just keep up with the epsom salt and water changes and he should be ok.

The fins do grow back, just give him some time and some good food.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #14 
AngesRadieux

I feel like he's so unstable! One moment he'll be swimming around and I'll think he's getting better, and then the next time I look at him he's laying on his side and just looking awful. :( I changed his water multiple times today, using water that was conditioned with API Stress Coat+ and had epsom salt dissolved in it. He's still floating in his cup, though, because I don't want to let him out into a tank unless I can be around for a while to observe him and make sure he's able to cope with the larger space. I'm really trying to help him, but I'm starting to feel like I'm just fighting a losing battle.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #15 
Creat

First off this may seem like a weird question but did you ever think of cycling the tank? I have noticed that when betta or any fish live in a very sterile enviorment it makes their systems weaker. I dont know if anyone suggested yet but I would raise the temp a little maybe to 80* slowly. Betta do great at 80* in general. If he really was poisoned I would aq salt instead. Other then that I am not sure anything else would help at this point. If you have cycled water I would adjust him to that instead. I do really hope he gets better :(
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #16 
Pataflafla

I didn't see any major improvement until at least 3 days afterwards. Keep up with the changes and keep things as calm as you can.

Creat, out of curiosity, why would you use aq salt for poisoning? I was sure aq salt only helped with external issues.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #17 
AngesRadieux

I switched him over to aq salt. Now he's floating nose down and tail up... I just feel like he's not going to last much longer. I wrapped some blankets around his tank to try to raise the temperature. I just feel like he isn't going to last through the night. I could be wrong, since I was pretty sure he'd be gone by this morning. I really hope I'm wrong. Do you think there's any chance he'll make it?
Old 01-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #18 
Creat

AQ salt does help with external problems it also helps boost electrolytes and sense the little guy didnt have any swim bladder or fluid moving problems I think the epsom wouldnt help as much. If he ate something I would go the epsom salt rout if its environmental I usually go the aq rout. If I did use epsom I would raise the temp also but thats something else entirely. Although half the time both do just as good a job to help make the environment more comfortable for the fish.

Edit: Sense he is floating now I would just move him back to epsom though careful the shock can hurt them more of being switched. If you think he cant handle it dont switch him. And raising the temp would be the best thing to help him survive over all. I would use the adjustable heater at 82 * if he is in the cup and not in contact with the surrounding water.( sense the heater might have caused it) Best luck little buddy !!!

Last edited by Creat; 01-25-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #19 
AngesRadieux

I'm afraid of shocking him if I switch him back to epsom salt right now. :/ I was terrified I'd kill him switching him to aq salt. I don't think I want to use the heater, though... I'm afraid it'll get through the plastic or whatever chemical leaked into the water will permanently taint the glass or filter or gravel or something. Am I just being paranoid? I feel like such a terrible fish owner. Everything was fine, and then I had to go messing with it and now Severus is just a mess.

With the blankets, the water temperature's at about 78 degrees. Maybe if I wrap yet another towel or something around it I can get the temperature up without having to use that heater? Also, even when it was unplugged the heater melted the plastic on my aquarium hood when I put the hood near it when I was changing the water. I'm afraid it'll damage the aquarium if I put it in there.

Last edited by AngesRadieux; 01-25-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #20 
Creat

Its alright I am paranoid parent too :) Did you slowly move him to the aq salt becuase doing it fast could have shocked him and caused him to float. Give the heater a good soak and scrub. Hold it under the water and see if its leaking air bubbles if it is its no good. If not maybe its bad plastic and then just keep the plastic out of the water. If you have any methelyne blue using that to clean will kill any fish nasty's. But if its more chemical leak it would be in plastic not the glass if the glass isnt leaking air. I would scrub it and use it especially if he is in another container. Its highly doubtful that the heater caused it. Or move his container and heater to another tank or container you wouldnt mind "contaminating" if your not sure something might be leaking.