Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #21 
AngesRadieux

I tried not to shock him when I moved him. :/ He was floating in the epsom salt, too, except he was floating on his side at the top of the water. I'm almost positive it was the heater. The heater was the only thing that was changed. I noticed a change in behavior not too long after adding it, but I had thought he was just curious about the new addition to the tank. I didn't realize anything was actually hurting him until I found him on the bottom of the tank with his fins clamped. But, I'll go run the heater under water and see what happens.

Edit: I just submerged the heater in water and there were bubbles coming out the top.

Last edited by AngesRadieux; 01-25-2012 at 10:42 PM.
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #22 
Creat

Thats odd those things are super quality checked :/ I am sorry about it all thats not something fun to deal with. Did the temp suddenly change too I have noticed that even changing the temp suddenly higher can make them clamp.... If the heater is small enough you could try something I did once with a heater I filled a big ziplock bag with water and put that in the tank and the heater in the bag that way only water in the bag was contaminated... I wish I could help more :(
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #23 
AngesRadieux

The temperature was increasing pretty gradually. I was watching the temperature pretty closely over the course of about two and a half to three hours and it hadn't changed more than 3 or 4 degrees in that time. I wouldn't do the plastic bag thing... After what that thing did to the plastic on my aquarium hood when it wasn't even plugged in I'd imagine I'd end up with melted plastic all over the tank. :/ Also, the heater plugs in so the bag couldn't be completely sealed so the contaminated water would just leak out into the tank.

If I did accidentally shock him with the switch to aq salt, do you think he might still pull through?

Last edited by AngesRadieux; 01-25-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #24 
Creat

What kind of heater is it? Maybe I use different ones cause the plastic top of mine sticks out and I sealed the bag around the cord. And yeah I have melted tanks becuase I forgot to unplug my heater. Lol i spent an arm and a leg on a heater that automatically turns off and cools when water level drops. I wish they were cheaper I would buy a ton of them.
And Hmmmm its weird he would do that... any chance that you could run out and buy another? I know petco sells little ones for $10 I use them for back up heaters.
Sorry you have been so unlucky.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #25 
AngesRadieux

It's a top fin heater. I believe it's the 50 watt one. It came with my 5.5 gallon aquarium kit. Can't even return it... I bought the tank months ago but replaced the heater because I didn't trust the top fin one. I just decided to try it now because my room's pretty cold and it was supposed to be able to keep the water a bit warmer than the preset one I'd been using.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #26 
Creat

Yeah I dont really like kit heaters they never seem to work just right :/ but I am very good at breaking things. And okay now I know what you mean I use mostly aqueon or marineland heaters ( i think thats how you spell it)
Old 01-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #27 
AngesRadieux

He didn't make it. It's probably stupid to be as upset as I am about it... I knew he probably wouldn't. But I tried so hard to save him. I don't even know if I should bother getting another fish. I really don't want to just sit and stare at an empty tank, but apparently I'm incapable of keeping fish alive.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:22 AM   #28 
AngesRadieux

If I were to get another fish, do you think the tank, or anything in it, is still safe? I kept a bag of API activated filter carbon in it all day yesterday but I don't know if that would've really done anything to help.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #29 
Pataflafla

Don't beat yourself up over it. Sometimes horrible things happen. He's swimming under the rainbow bridge now, so you don't need to worry yourself about him.

I had the same issue with the Topfin brand heater. I suggest that you order an Eheim Jager (Expensive, but it works very well and is one of the best)or an Elite. Topfin seems to have something wrong with their heaters, or at least had a bad batch go through, so there's really nothing you could have done that you didn't do already.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #30 
AngesRadieux

I think I'll just stick with the marineland heater I have. I know the water's a bit on the cool side, but I don't really feel comfortable risking a new heater just yet. I don't know if I'll get another betta, but I have the tank set up with conditioned water and the marineland heater just in case. But, if I do I'll get new gravel, too. The tank's currently bare. No gravel, no decorations, just water, a heater, and a thermometer. I had some glass caves that I liked in that tank. Do you think any decor from the tank is safe to use? And should I get rid of the filter, or do you think the filter's still safe?

Out of my two bettas, he really was the favorite child. I think Arcturus is more handsome, but just this weekend I was bragging to everyone who would listen that Severus was eating from my hand and learning to jump for food.

I'm also a little unhappy about the idea of giving Petsmart more money, since Severus was killed by a faulty product their company produced. But the Petco nearby is terrible and Petland is even worse. Petsmart's the only place nearby that ever has bettas that aren't in terrible condition.