Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2007, 02:29 AM   #1 
dm800

I want a new tank for my betta. Help me choose.

I have had a betta for several months in a small bowl and finally can't stand seeing him with no place to swim and want to get a good size aquarium for him. I have been checking around online and at some pet stores and actually saw a couple choices at Wal Mart I was considering. There was a 5 gallon Aqua Tech hex tank for $30 which after doing some research it appears is the same as the Eclipse hex rebranded. Then there was a 10 gallon setup for the same price, and a 14 gallon setup that had a heater and some other stuff for $60. So considering I would need to buy a heater for the first two setups, they all would come out to around the same price. The hex one has a bio wheel and the other two has the bio foam I think. I dont know much about those yet as I am still learning about the whole setup. Even though these sizes are much different, I am not concerned about the length because I have a very sturdy end table that is 24 inches wide that this would go on, and all are about the same width and height is no problem, so one really wouldnt take up more room than another.

So what do you guys think I should get? I have always wanted an aquarium and this gives me an excuse to get one now because my betta appears pretty healthy as his fins have grown very long and I can't stand for him to be in that tiny bowl anymore. I may also want to get a few more fish to put in there as well (whatever gets along with them). Is that a good idea or not to put other fish in there with him? I look forward to hear your opinions. Thank you!
dm800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:44 AM   #2 
willow

hello and welcome aboard.
let me start by saying Well done to you,
i hate the thought of Bettas being in small jugs ect.
i don't know about the filters you have mentioned,
but hopefully someone else will come along and help. :)
i would go for the biggest tank you can afford,as that will
be better in a lot of ways,
if you are able to add different fish,then as long as they are
not guppys,or any other long fined fish you should be ok.
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:30 AM   #3 
Falina

Definitely go with the bigger of the tanks. He will really appreciate the extra space and like Willow has said, it allows you to add some more fish after cycling if you wanted to.

I personally have found that bettas get on well with bottom dwellers, but they are rather unpredictable with anything that swims about too much but you can certainly give some neons or glolights a try if you wanted top/mid dwelling fish.

A group of 6 cories to go with the betta would be my choice however, if I had the 14g tank.

If you decide to get the 14g, let us know what fish you fancy putting in there and we'll advise you whether it's a good idea or not.

And yes, well done to you for wanting to give him a better home. :)
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:59 AM   #4 
tophat665

14 gallon is probably the way to go. You're looking at what, 24x12x12? Whatever filter they had there, I'd add a second. Either a small in-tank like a duetto 50 or 100, or an HOB with some sort of current killer on it to keep the betta from getting batted around (they don't like the current much).

Seriously, two filters is the way to go.

You'd notice a huge difference in activity level between a 5, a 10, and a 14. Also, I'd stay away from the Hex. Bettas are a surface level fish (they use the whole tank, but they hang out up top mostly), and the more surface area, they happier they'll be.

Falina has a good idea with the cories. A half dozen Kuhli Loaches would be good instead. Couple of ottos would be nice. If you plant a nice thick grove of stem plants in the corners for retreats, you could stick a shoal of small tetras or rasboras in there. All sorts of fun.
tophat665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:31 AM   #5 
beetlebz

i would check your local petco or petsmart if you have one within driving distance! I always find great deals on various tanks at both places. I just bought a 10 gallon tank from petco for like 11 bucks :O

but at any rate, props to you! good luck and make sure we get pics :)
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #6 
jeaninel

Buy the biggest tank you can afford. This hobby is very addicting and you will soon find yourself wishing you had a bigger tank.
jeaninel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #7 
MegK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaninel
Buy the biggest tank you can afford. This hobby is very addicting and you will soon find yourself wishing you had a bigger tank.
true, u start off with a one gallon, then a five, and then a ten, and then a 33 and then 90 and then 180...

my betta loves the ten she is in, and i kno urs will love a 14 with some friends with it :)
MegK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:50 PM   #8 
dm800

I figured you would all suggest the biggest! I originally liked the hex because it would look nice where I planned to put it and a friend has one and I like how quiet it is and how the filter is in the hood, but I am sure they all will be pretty quiet. I am sure anything will look nice with fish and plants in it and stuff.

So does that seem like a good price of $60 for the 14 gal (comes with filter, heater, flour bulbs, etc.?) That one is also glass where the others are acrylic. Which is better material for an aquarium? If not, is it better to buy things separately? The 10 and 14 have the same footprint so that would not matter that one is a few inches higher. I can't go over 24 inches though for now. Then maybe someday after I learn to take care of this, I can get a big one (and when I have a bigger house!)
Old 11-03-2007, 08:25 PM   #9 
tophat665

Hmm, if the 14 and the 10 have the same footprint, well, you should probably just go with the 10. That said, the only advantage I have heard of an acrylic tank, is you could move a 250 gallon acrylic by yourself, whereas you'd need four of your strongest friends to d it with glass.

If you troll craigslist, you should be able to get a 20 high fully set up for less than $60. You can probably get a 10 at petsmart for just over 10 bucks. A decent filter will set you back another 15, ditto the heater. Hood would be $20 or so. That's about 60 right there for all new stuff.

If you can lay hands on a 15, that's your best bet. 24x12x12. Sort of the 20 long equivalent of the 10 gallon.
tophat665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:41 AM   #10 
dm800

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophat665

If you can lay hands on a 15, that's your best bet. 24x12x12. Sort of the 20 long equivalent of the 10 gallon.
Just wondering, if a footprint is the same size, why wouldnt you want to get the largest capacity since it would fit?