Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #21 
HayrideHaunter

I dunno if that'd be a problem? I mean...if they are (generally) good betta companions, and bettas dont have to have a filter (mine doesn't and other than the biting he's a really healthy guy)...so I guess I kinda figured that wouldn't be an issue?

Anyone else have an idea if that's a problem?
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #22 
onemanswarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayrideHaunter View Post
I dunno if that'd be a problem? I mean...if they are (generally) good betta companions, and bettas dont have to have a filter (mine doesn't and other than the biting he's a really healthy guy)...so I guess I kinda figured that wouldn't be an issue?

Anyone else have an idea if that's a problem?
Ghost shrimp are renowned for being very sensitive to changes in the water parameters, so a filter would definitely help if you decide to go down that road again. If you get your wish and add a bunch of live plants, that would probably help to stabilize things, not sure if it would be enough. Unfortunately, the major water changes needed for a 2gal are probably going to end in pink shrimp. The good news is at $0.25 ea, you aren't out much money!
onemanswarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #23 
HayrideHaunter

Ah, I didn't realize they were so incredibly sensitive to such changes! Thanks. I'll try again another time when I'm able to get the nice big 10 or 15 gal I'd like to get. I wanna have a big home for Em and a cat of some kind and maybe a little school of tetras or something.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #24 
onemanswarm

Quote:
Ah, I didn't realize they were so incredibly sensitive to such changes! Thanks. I'll try again another time when I'm able to get the nice big 10 or 15 gal I'd like to get. I wanna have a big home for Em and a cat of some kind and maybe a little school of tetras or something.
If you decide to go that route, look into Red Cherry Shrimp. They're a little more expensive up front, but they're prolific and easy breeders. Very pretty, very active. They really stand out against a black background with black sand and some plants. Plus you could still pull off the tetras!

FWIW, I love my 15gal. I think it's the perfect size for the kind of setup you're describing. Big enough to house a good range of fun inhabitants, easy water changes, and never more than about elbow deep!
Old 01-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #25 
HayrideHaunter

Whats FWIW? haha...I actually was looking into cherries recently too...i have black gravel! I would like to try a couple but I dunno where to get them...I never see em at my LFS's?

I actually have a 10gal right now but it is currently being used as a plant terrarium. It was the only way I could convince my mom to be okay with me buying it haha (20 years old or not, she helps me keep my financial priotities straight)...anyways I plan on slowly convincing her to allow me to turn it into an aquarium. Biggest problem is moving back and forth from my dorm, thats all.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #26 
Silverfang

oooh, glad I read this, you reminded me to check and see if my LFS got in the red cherries they were expecting! If so, and they still have some left, I plan on picking up a few tomorrow.

Tailbiters... they suck. Mine does it because he's a bratfish.

Edit: darn those suppliers being on holidays, no shrimps *pout*

Last edited by Silverfang; 01-26-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #27 
onemanswarm

Quote:
Whats FWIW? haha...I actually was looking into cherries recently too...i have black gravel! I would like to try a couple but I dunno where to get them...I never see em at my LFS's?

I actually have a 10gal right now but it is currently being used as a plant terrarium. It was the only way I could convince my mom to be okay with me buying it haha (20 years old or not, she helps me keep my financial priotities straight)...anyways I plan on slowly convincing her to allow me to turn it into an aquarium. Biggest problem is moving back and forth from my dorm, thats all.
You're the 20yo college student! You're not supposed to be asking the old man to define internet acronyms FWIW=For what it's worth.

There are some users on this forum who have Red Cherry Shrimp and will sell them with a live arrival guarantee! Here's the thread http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...mp-live-41377/
Old 01-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #28 
onemanswarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
oooh, glad I read this, you reminded me to check and see if my LFS got in the red cherries they were expecting! If so, and they still have some left, I plan on picking up a few tomorrow.

Tailbiters... they suck. Mine does it because he's a bratfish.

Edit: darn those suppliers being on holidays, no shrimps *pout*
Bummer! You could always see the above link and buy from a TFK user! Live arrival guarantee!!!
Old 01-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #29 
HayrideHaunter

Ah but I'm a college student who prefers to avoid chatspeak for the most part =)

Thanks for the link! I'll take a look
Old 01-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #30 
HayrideHaunter

Well I can't afford shipping and the like right now, and I called around my LFS's to see if they indeed do not carry cherries, and none do...guess I'll wait until I have the money =(...bummer man.