Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #31 
onemanswarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayrideHaunter View Post
Well I can't afford shipping and the like right now, and I called around my LFS's to see if they indeed do not carry cherries, and none do...guess I'll wait until I have the money =(...bummer man.
Depends how you look at it I guess. I was bummed when I figured out that the RCS wouldn't especially like being housed with a male Betta in my water parameters with relatively large gravel substrate. But now I get to look forward to the day when I have the resources to set up a species tank especially for them!
onemanswarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #32 
HayrideHaunter

Well I have a lot of things to save for right now that come before my dream setup, but someday I want to get a good 50 gallons with a betta and a decent community, all with nice gravel, a good light, a good filter, the works. I really want a pictus catfish, I LOVE those little buggers. I want a nice big tank that I can plant like crazy so everyone in there will have a place to hide and hopefully get along. Its a dream.

Right now I'm slowly working on a little 10gal community...
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #33 
Silverfang

Thanks for the link, but unless they are in Canada, no luck. Stupid restrictions.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #34 
onemanswarm

Quote:
Well I have a lot of things to save for right now that come before my dream setup, but someday I want to get a good 50 gallons with a betta and a decent community, all with nice gravel, a good light, a good filter, the works. I really want a pictus catfish, I LOVE those little buggers. I want a nice big tank that I can plant like crazy so everyone in there will have a place to hide and hopefully get along. Its a dream.

Right now I'm slowly working on a little 10gal community...
First step: Convince your mom to part with her plant terrarium!

The 10g will certainly be less expensive to set up. Don't even need a stand as it will no doubt fit nicely on the desk in your dorm. You could move your Betta in there with a small filter and a little heater and you'll be able to try Ghost Shrimp again. Throw in some of the free plants from your wish list and you've already got a small community of sorts with minimal investment! Over time add a small group of Julii Corys, which you can think of as your mini pictus until you can afford the master plan.

Speaking of Pictus Catfish, it looks like you'll have to amend your master plan to incorporate 5 or more! Click the name to read profile.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #35 
onemanswarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
Thanks for the link, but unless they are in Canada, no luck. Stupid restrictions.
Bummer! Is there an aquabid.ca?
Old 01-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #36 
HayrideHaunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanswarm View Post
First step: Convince your mom to part with her plant terrarium!

The 10g will certainly be less expensive to set up. Don't even need a stand as it will no doubt fit nicely on the desk in your dorm. You could move your Betta in there with a small filter and a little heater and you'll be able to try Ghost Shrimp again. Throw in some of the free plants from your wish list and you've already got a small community of sorts with minimal investment! Over time add a small group of Julii Corys, which you can think of as your mini pictus until you can afford the master plan.

Speaking of Pictus Catfish, it looks like you'll have to amend your master plan to incorporate 5 or more! Click the name to read profile.
The terrarium is mine! Haha...but honestly it's not going to well. No, the main problem isn't room at my dorm, I'd figure that out, it's the hassle of moving it from my dorm to my house when I go home for more than a couple days. See, I have a ton of plants too (at least 12) and it is already a hassle with my small tank and all of those plants =(...So in order to convince her to let me make my terrarium an aquarium, I should get rid of some plants first...but I'm rather attached to them. I think I'll probably just continue saving money here and there and slowly build up the pieces. Buy my substrate, a heater, a hood with a light (I have a glass one but no light), a filter, etc etc and when I finally have everything then I will figure out what to do.

Didn't quite understand that last bit...5 or more pictus?
Old 01-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #37 
onemanswarm

Quote:
The terrarium is mine! Haha...but honestly it's not going to well. No, the main problem isn't room at my dorm, I'd figure that out, it's the hassle of moving it from my dorm to my house when I go home for more than a couple days. See, I have a ton of plants too (at least 12) and it is already a hassle with my small tank and all of those plants =(...So in order to convince her to let me make my terrarium an aquarium, I should get rid of some plants first...but I'm rather attached to them. I think I'll probably just continue saving money here and there and slowly build up the pieces. Buy my substrate, a heater, a hood with a light (I have a glass one but no light), a filter, etc etc and when I finally have everything then I will figure out what to do.

Didn't quite understand that last bit...5 or more pictus?
Yes. Profile suggests they do much better in groups of 5 or more. A single Pictus is a lonesome Pictus, it seems.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #38 
HayrideHaunter

Oh okay. Good to know! When I get my dream 50gal maybe I'll get a school of the guys. I understand they'd need a bigger tank after a while but I imagine theyd be fine there for a while. Thanks!