Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2012, 02:27 AM   #1 
Magikarp

Any down sides to having 2 filters?

Hey guys, I currently have a 10 gallon tank with a female betta and a cory. I used to have one filter that did a decent job but there would be "dead spots" where the water didnt filter too much on the other side of the tank. I added another filter on the other side and was wondering if there was any risk of having "too much" filtration?

Note that the tank has already been cycled, but i just want the tank to be evenly filtered.
Magikarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:07 AM   #2 
HatsuneMiku

maybe try moving the filter to the middle of the tank instead of having it only one one side and see if that takes care of the dead spots
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:15 AM   #3 
Magikarp

^ it would still leave spots on both the left and right side of the tank.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:37 AM   #4 
HatsuneMiku

hmm .. which filter is in it now?
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #5 
TonyK

Bettas like slow to no water movement. If you have any sort of long fin Betta the filter current can destroy their tails really quick. I would run 1 filter in the middle of the tank and call it a day.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

Females can cope with a bit of current, and if it proves too much you can always baffle it. However, dead spots won't harm them either.
I have two filters, both relatively strong, running in my 16 gallon, and there are no real disadvantages except my plants all get pushed to the front right instead of being spread around nicely.

Just a note - I would strongly suggest getting some more cories, as they are a bajillion times happier in a school. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:19 AM   #7 
Magikarp

thanks, I already know that bettas dont like current which is why both filters are baffled and cause no current. I was looking more in the lines of too much nitrate or something. And i can't put it in the middle, my heaters positioned there. Anyways, thanks for your input guys.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #8 
ldoerr

Nitrates can be solved by doing large frequent WCs. I do at least 1 50% WC on all of my tanks each week. Some weeks I get in the mood and do them more often. It only takes 5-10 minutes to do a WC on a 10g tank. That is including filling up a bucket with water, declorinating it, gitting the gravel vac out, draining the tank, refilling the tank, starting up the filter, emptying the dirty water, and cleaning up the mess (note: I am VERY messy). It does not take any more time to do a bigger WC than a smaller one.
ldoerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #9 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magikarp View Post
thanks, I already know that bettas dont like current which is why both filters are baffled and cause no current. I was looking more in the lines of too much nitrate or something. And i can't put it in the middle, my heaters positioned there. Anyways, thanks for your input guys.
You can place 20 filters in your tank, don't really matter. Still need Water changes.....
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote