Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2012, 03:05 AM   #1 
MaxGreenMDE

Is there an easier way out of this?

So I'm sure all of you know by now with my chronic complaining that my tank just REAKS of rotten eggs. I'm not sure why it does rumor is "dead spots" but I can't see how that could even be the case when all substrate was removed and i had done a thorough clean two times.

I also added a filter and now the smell is slowly coming back but tomorrow it's going to be ungodly rank all over again.

The other theory is that the tank is not cycling well enough because it's 2.5 gallon.

and another theory is that it's the water conditioner I used and that I need to use PRIME.

Ok lets say I go with PRIME and it's still rank? Once again I'm back at start.

So what I was thinking is upgrading to a 10 gallon tank (since they are on sale for the same price as the 2.5 gal) that I know will cycle very well..but then lies the problem that Dahvie will not like all of the extra space.

It's obvious Dahvie likes the 2.5 gallon he has made SEVERAL bubble nests and is always dancing in it.

But I'M not happy with the rank smell I can't seem to get rid of and don't understand WHY it's sticking around.

The other problem I run into is I bought a filter meant for 3 gallons..so if I upgrade to 10 gallon I have to start over with a filter as well.

A water test was done on the water in the tank, everything passed EXCEPT the alkaline was THROUGH THE ROOF. I was told a filter would balance that all out..apparently not as the smell is returning.

As for heater..I don't have one. My water is being heated by the register in my wall and is keeping it right at 80 with a blanket over it. When I take the blanket off it drops to 76..i put the blanket back on over night.

Honestly I've heard of people having bettas in bowls and 2.5 gallon tanks NEVER have I heard any of them say their tank smelled like rotten eggs.

So why am *I* special? and what in the heck can I do that hopefully does not involve upgrading to a 10 gal tank? because honestly that would be a huge pain to do that.
MaxGreenMDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:28 AM   #2 
scootshoot

Put your nose up to your conditioner and take a whiff...smell like rotten eggs?

Prime definitely smells like rotten eggs and am sure your brand conditioner (assuming it uses similiar ingredients) will as well
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:33 AM   #3 
MaxGreenMDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
Put your nose up to your conditioner and take a whiff...smell like rotten eggs?

Prime definitely smells like rotten eggs and am sure your brand conditioner (assuming it uses similiar ingredients) will as well
in all honesty i'm really hoping that is the issue. The conditioner does have an odor to it but not a strong one. But from reading around on google I'm hearing there's something that has the rotten egg smell that cna actually be toxic to dahvie..and ultimately kill him..
MaxGreenMDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:40 AM   #4 
scootshoot

Oh and no need to switch conditioner brands yet, just use yours up first. However, stead of doubling the dose to 10ml, try to stay with the 5ml per gallon rule and see if the smell improves.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:05 AM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

Honestly the water in one of my tanks smells absolutely putrid. The sand in there is covered in peat and black in places, and I've never given it so much as a gentle poke.

However, this has never caused a single issue with either of the bettas in there. They regularly spawn and have even successfully raised a fry to adulthood in there (these are wilds and not generic pet store splendens).

I just wanted to say that just because your water smells off, doesn't mean it's necessarily harming your fish.

Do you get a slimy coating covering the walls of your tank? I get this in several of my tanks, and when removed from water it has a slightly egg gas type smell. I've found it grows especially well in uncycled, unfiltered tanks where they is little to no current and surface agitation.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote