Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #11 
Rennae

Decided to take some action tonight. So I tested the water for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. Both Nitrate and Nitrite were fine, Ammonia is at 0.25ppm. I went out and bough flakes and tried to feed them to him, also tried bloodworms. He still won't eat. And he's still being really inactive. Here are some pictures of him at the top of the water. He went from being up and down to on his side in the third picture. He wouldn't respond to water taps, until I got close to him, he swam back down and is currently under his log. I am at a loss right now.

Rennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #12 
bayboy408x

Its all good it takes them a lil wile to adjust...the fish won't starve itself to death (I haven't had one do it). If he begins to eat but spit it out, use smaller pebbles or different food
bayboy408x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #13 
a123andpoof

If you haven't already I would post in the sickness thread. The way he is on his side doesn't look good to me. But I am not an expert on disease. Does he have trouble getting to the top? If he does you might want to lower the water a little bit for the time being. I really hope he is okay!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #14 
wolfiegreen

I seem to be having the same issue but mines a female but she doesnt have swimming issues like your 3rd pic, she just hides at the bottom. :/
wolfiegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #15 
Rennae

I posted to the illness section. Though only one got back to me but nothing further. Really hoping more will hop in and help.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:14 AM   #16 
a123andpoof

I hope so to! Maybe do a search on the signs and see if anything comes up! I really hope he is okay!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #17 
Rennae

Figured I would post in here as I posted in the illness section. Sadly he passed away. The illness section couldn't really help me either and it's hard to say what caused it. We think it may have been heart problems. He passed away on Saturday.

Today though I brought home a new little guy in a different tank, and already I can tell this guy is healthy and enjoying his new home. He's quite active, checking out his tank and surroundings, he comes to the front everytime I come around to look at him and loves to swim behind some of the items in his tank. I'll be making a new thread about him with pictures later.

Thank you all for your help with my previous guy, I'll be taking your advice and using it with this guy. Naming him Condris :3
Old 01-31-2012, 03:31 PM   #18 
styggian

Bettas are generally very hardy, but it's possible your boy was already ill when you got him and he simply declined after your got him home. Some fish can actually pass from the shock of changing environments. I don't recall hearing of a betta doing so (again, very hardy and strong willed little brats), but if he was already ill and/or stressed, it may have been too much for him. I'm sorry your lost him, especially as he was your first, but it sounds like the second boy is much better. Good luck with him!
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:31 PM   #19 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennae View Post
Figured I would post in here as I posted in the illness section. Sadly he passed away. The illness section couldn't really help me either and it's hard to say what caused it. We think it may have been heart problems. He passed away on Saturday.

Today though I brought home a new little guy in a different tank, and already I can tell this guy is healthy and enjoying his new home. He's quite active, checking out his tank and surroundings, he comes to the front everytime I come around to look at him and loves to swim behind some of the items in his tank. I'll be making a new thread about him with pictures later.

Thank you all for your help with my previous guy, I'll be taking your advice and using it with this guy. Naming him Condris :3
Sorry for your loss with your last betta. I am happy to hear that your new betta seems to be behaving normally.

If you have eating problems with the new betta, just give him a week and see if he eats what is offered. Generally, it takes about a week before they decide "Okay. She's not giving in, I'd better eat." Out of curiosity, what pellets or flakes have you tried?
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:11 AM   #20 
Rennae

Actually, my new boy ate the first time I tried feeding him that first night! Ate the three pellets I gave him with no problems! I have 3 different foods though as I tried all three on the last boy. Pellets, flakes, and bloodworms. If he keeps eating the pellets just fine, then the bloodworms will be a treat and the flakes will be kept incase he decides he no longer wants to eat the pellets. We will see if he eats tonight though. If he does then I'm impressed :3