Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #1 
bettafish15

Exclamation Help! I think my cories bred!

I found these big white eggs on one side of the tank, too big to be snail eggs even though my red ramhorn snails are getting huge. There're five little groups of them, spread out on one side of my tank. I looked up cory breeding habits, and it showed a picture of an eggy female. One of my cories looked really big and round lately, and I was worried. The more I read on cory breeding, the more I think thats what happened.

The tank is 14g, heated to 81F. I don't do water changes as much as I should >,< I'm nervous too because the eggs are on the side of the tank with the half-baffled filter intake. Will the snails eat them? Should I let the snails eat them? I don't have access to live foods, just two types of bottom-feeder pellets (only one they like), algae wafers (for snails), and a few flake/pellet betta foods. I don't have a petstore near me either D:
What should I do?

I took pictures, but I'm supposed to be doing school right now so I'll upload them later. They look exactly like this, however:

(picture taken from google)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #2 
willow

hay congratulations
do you want to save them ?
you could just leave them to see what happens,i did that with mine,and i did have a survivor
and he lives still today. don't know what he was eating,because i never even knew
he was in there. lol
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #3 
bettafish15

I read up some on cory breeding, and have put a couple batches of the eggs in a container floating in the tank. I'm worried I squished some D': But most that I scraped off look okay. I guess I'll see in a few days who makes it! I read I can feed them egg yolk, so thats what I'll do. :D Any tips guys?
Old 01-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #4 
hedgehog

Do the eggs look tan or white? White eggs have fungus and the tan eggs are the fertilized ones. The fungus can spread to the healthy eggs so it's often recommended to add a few drops of methylene blue to the tank if you are trying to save the eggs. The will get a little darker over the next two days. The eggs should hatch in 2-3 days. To be quite honest when my cories spawned I didn't actively try to hatch the eggs. I thought the adults had eaten the eggs but about three weeks after their spawn I found two tiny babies. They were eating leftovers from the sinking pellets the adults ate. After I found them I started feeding them some frozen brine shrimp along with the crushed up high protein wafers. They've been pretty much eating algae and shrimp wafers their whole life and they are healthy and the right size for their age.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #5 
ladayen

No dont feed them egg yolk. They will eat the yolks of their own eggs for the first couple days is what it meant. However, I could be mistaken but those eggs looks fairly white which means they haven't been fertilized.
ladayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #6 
bettafish15

Gosh... some look tan, but most are white. I thought white was good... they aren't pure white, they have little half-circles of something dark inside the egg when I look close.

Edit: Darn, I don't have meth. blue. No petstore near me either. I guess with these eggs I will have to hope for the best.

Last edited by bettafish15; 01-25-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #7 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladayen View Post
No dont feed them egg yolk. They will eat the yolks of their own eggs for the first couple days is what it meant. However, I could be mistaken but those eggs looks fairly white which means they haven't been fertilized.
LOL yes, I know. I'm not going to feed a bunch of eggs right now. Also, the eggs arent pure white anymore, they look like there are little half-circles of something tan-ish in them.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #8 
Shirleythebetta

How fortunate you are. I have heard it isn't easy to breed cory so I love hearing about this kind of stuff. Cory's are awesome. I love when a fish's habits surprise people.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #9 
willow

mine seem to do it a lot,water change time in the summer a little cooler
with the water,and wayyyyyhaaaaay off they go.
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #10 
hedgehog

Quote:
mine seem to do it a lot,water change time in the summer a little cooler
with the water,and wayyyyyhaaaaay off they go.
yep mine too. It seems if you have bronze or green cories it's not really a challenge to get them to spawn at all. We have a harder time trying to get them to stop. The first time they spawned everyone ate so much eggs. My betta looked like he was going to burst.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote