Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #1 
copperarabian

bamboo shrimp

I bought a bamboo shrimp yesterday for my sorority :) I've wanted one of these forever O.O

copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

are these the ones that filter feed? they're so interesting!
just curious, what are you going to feed him?
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #3 
copperarabian

So far mines been eating food that landed on the fake rock he's decided is his home, and I'm going to get him a powdered food I can add to the water. I've also seen them eating dead fish at petco(ewwww)
Old 01-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Haha, well shrimp are aquarium cleaners. xD
Do you have a current to put the food in or does it just float around? Also if you don't mind me asking, how much was he? The few I've seen were pretty expensive..
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #5 
JKhoi

Awesome! I had one for about 2 weeks and today it died out on me :/ The reason of death was unknown but during those two weeks he turned up to be a vibrant red. Hope yours lives happily in your tank :P
JKhoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #6 
Laki

whoa.. goosebumps. How big is that thing?!? I think it's cool but wouldn't want it near my tank if it's like... the size of a finger:/
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #7 
Myrtaceae

My brother tried one of these with his betta. It disappeared on him. Literally. We think it may have escaped and been eaten by his cat. In the mean time, he had a heck of a time keeping it healthy.

They're really hard to feed properly-- if you see them wiping down the bottom of the tank with their fans, they aren't getting enough food. Modern filtration removes most of the particles small enough for them to eat, even if it does provide good water flow. They need a place to perch somewhere with good flow so they can open their fans, and well established tanks with lots of microfauna or cultures of small foods (like for fry). A lot of them starve to death, just slowly.

Shrimp tend to be very sensitive to ammonia spikes, so crushing powdered food will often do more harm than good because it's not distributed very efficiently & most will decompose and cause your water params to change.

Sorry to be such a downer. They're really cool & I wish they were easier to keep. I wish you luck with him. :)
Myrtaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #8 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Haha, well shrimp are aquarium cleaners. xD
Do you have a current to put the food in or does it just float around? Also if you don't mind me asking, how much was he? The few I've seen were pretty expensive..
They need a current to feed properly, and he was like $9

Quote:
Laki
whoa.. goosebumps. How big is that thing?!? I think it's cool but wouldn't want it near my tank if it's like... the size of a finger:/
He is pretty big(about the size of my finger lol) and could get bigger.

Quote:
Myrtaceae My brother tried one of these with his betta. It disappeared on him. Literally. We think it may have escaped and been eaten by his cat. In the mean time, he had a heck of a time keeping it healthy.

They're really hard to feed properly-- if you see them wiping down the bottom of the tank with their fans, they aren't getting enough food. Modern filtration removes most of the particles small enough for them to eat, even if it does provide good water flow. They need a place to perch somewhere with good flow so they can open their fans, and well established tanks with lots of microfauna or cultures of small foods (like for fry). A lot of them starve to death, just slowly.

Shrimp tend to be very sensitive to ammonia spikes, so crushing powdered food will often do more harm than good because it's not distributed very efficiently & most will decompose and cause your water params to change.

Sorry to be such a downer. They're really cool & I wish they were easier to keep. I wish you luck with him. :)
He's in a natural planted tank so it has a lot of micro organism's, and I'm going to see if they'll eat baby brine shrimp since I still have some eggs. I hope he lives a long time, he's really interesting.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #9 
Myrtaceae

Awesome, I'm glad to hear it.

It's super fun to watch them feed. My brother's ate a lot of daphnia.
Myrtaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #10 
newf

We have one in our 40 gallon tank. He is pretty big too, and is thriving in there. He hangs out in all the plants and eats whatever he likes when we feed the fish. He really has become a cool guy to watch.
newf is offline   Reply With Quote