Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #1 
Mavi

Koi ponds!! :)

Has anybody ever started a thread devoted to koi lovers?
I think they deserve some appreciation, they're so beautiful and friendly :)
Like puppies :) without the saliva and dandruff allergies :P
Mavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

:D lol. If you couldn't guess by my name, I'm a huge koi-lover. My oldest fish are my koi. You can see two of them in my sig: Byakko and Kurama. I can talk for hours about my pond and koi. My pond is on the small side right now (4000 gal), but one day I plan to build a 20,000+ gal pond. I've even got a rough sketch of it.

Koi are some of my favorite fish. I just love those little whiskers and the way they glide through the water.

Here is a picture of my pond and one of my koi from this past summer. I spend hours out there daily. I love being around them and the waterfall.
Attached Images

thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #3 
Mavi

Wow! Your pond is beautiful! It looks so natural, almost magical!
After my grandpa passed away my family inherited his koi collection.
We took care of them in his back yard for a while (the commutes were awful) and then once another family moved in, they took care of them until we were able to build an appropriate pond for them.

He had six, his pond was smaller than ours so were considering adding three more to the collection.
But my grandpa took a lot of pride in his koi so we don't want to add just any type.
How many and what types do you have?
I've only named two of my koi (the ones which are my favorites) a tancho sanke named "red cap" and a yellow hakarimuji named "corporal banana" :P

My sister casually calls one "Steve" (a white butterfly hakarimuji) but it hasn't really caught on :P
Old 01-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

I'm sorry that's how you came into koi ownership, but I'm sure your grandfather would be very proud of the way you are taking care of them.

I've got 6 koi. I could add a few more, but I'm not inclined to mess with a good thing. I don't have any quarantine equipment for koi. They need a little larger tank that for normal fishkeeping. Plus, overstocking a pond is asking for trouble. Here's the best picture I have of all of them. I've got a few more pics here and a few older ones in my albums.

Byakko the shiro utsuri (in my sig; boyfriend calls her "Moo"). Genbu the shiro matsuba. Kohaku the suzaku. Kurama the tancho sanke (also in my sig). Umi the showa. And Halloween the aka bekko (it's my best guess; could also a sanke). I bought all of them from pet stores, so they weren't advertised as a specific breed. I even rescued one from WalMart years ago. I can't afford the koi being sold by proper breeders. They're so beautiful, but sooo expensive. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent looking at the beautiful fish online.

If I did add any more fish I would probably add an orenji ogon and yellow (yamabuki) ogon. I think my pond needs a splash of yellow.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #5 
Mavi

Yeah, I'm tentative about adding new fish incase I upset the balance.
If I could afford it I would totally go to Japan to witness a harvest of koi from the mud ponds :) that would be sooooo cool! :) it feels very sacred when I watch videos of it on the Internet.
I actually have a store in my area which specializes in koi fish, and the pond construction industry. It's been a blessing to have them within a 30 min driving distance.
The owner Randall, is such agreat guy, and so knowledgeable. He helped us with our pond when it was being built (well more "we helped him").
He also rents those great big blue quarantine vats out so I would have quarantine options if I needed them.
He also does fish day care if you don't want to leave your fish in the pond over winter (we opt for the greenhouse method though)
Old 01-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #6 
thekoimaiden

Overwintering and quarentine equipment rentals? You are sooo lucky to have that guy! I had a pond guy, but when the pond industry took a big hit a few years ago he had to sell his business. I bought a few koi from him, and he helped us (lol same thing with me "I helped him") build my pond.

I guess you would have a few more problems overwintering your koi in New York than I would in Virginia (I'm in the southern region, ugh). I don't even think I've seen my pond freeze over. I've seen it covered in snow maybe once.

I've never seen videos of the mud pond harvest in Japan. Although I would love to go see some of the ancient koi ponds in Japan. Have you ever heard the story of Hanako? Supposedly there was a koi in a pond in Japan that lived to be over 200 years old. Hanako <-- This is the transcript of a radio conversation held with the owner of the pond. I love how dearly this man treats his koi.

Do you have any pictures of your pond, Mavi? I love looking at pictures of ponds.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #7 
Zappity

Beautiful Koi you guys have :) I'd love a Koi Pond someday..but I'd be afraid of the upkeep :P Since I live in Ohio, they'd get cold pretty quick in the winter. How do you guys do water changes on those? Is it hard to keep the water clear and smelling like water rather than a swamp? My Grandma and Grandpa had a pond with a ton of Goldfish, it was green and smelled horribly :P
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #8 
BettaMommy531rip

I love koi! But you need a big pond/big tank and I can't afford that. But I'll be happy to contribute to the conversation!
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappity View Post
Beautiful Koi you guys have :) I'd love a Koi Pond someday..but I'd be afraid of the upkeep :P Since I live in Ohio, they'd get cold pretty quick in the winter. How do you guys do water changes on those? Is it hard to keep the water clear and smelling like water rather than a swamp? My Grandma and Grandpa had a pond with a ton of Goldfish, it was green and smelled horribly :P
Some people do water changes on a pond, some don't. You will have to make water changes if it is overstocked. However, if it isn't, large enough and planted enough you won't have to. I never do. But I do have an overflow outlet for when it rains. So I guess every time it rains my pond gets a water change. My pond has never smelled bad or anything. My guess that the reason your grandparent's pond smelled bad was due to a lack of water movement. Stagnate water always smells.

The deal with having a pond and being up north is that you have to know the depth to which your ground freezes and then dig the pond 1-2 feet deeper. This will enable you to overwinter the fish in the pond. Still, when you do want to build your pond, find someone in the area who specializes in ponds. Trust me, it was the best decision I ever made with my pond.

Have any of you guys browsed koi auction sites? They have beautiful fish, but they're sooo expensive. I've seen koi selling for over $2,000!!!

Also, would you rather buy a small koi and watch it grow or buy a large koi? I'm in a conundrum. All of my koi are 12 inches and larger. Koi of those size are $100+. As much as I love them, I can't afford to drop that much on a koi. But I'm worried that my larger koi would bully a small guy. Or that the small guy would be too shy to come out and starve to death (that happened to me before). Another option I have is just to not introduce anything new since I have a good thing going.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #10 
Mavi

Thekoimaiden- I had never heard the story of hanako before, but I read a fact somewhere that the oldest documented koi lived to be 246!
And if you were wondering, we do generally have to be careful because it does get quite cold and since we live right on lake Ontario the temperatures fluctuate even more!
Id also love to show you some pictures but I've never actually taken any, ill take some in the summer when my pond isn't covered :) ill show you my fishie friends :)
The reason I want more koi is because I want to watch them grow up :) so I would probably get some between 4 and 6 inches. Also that way I won't really know what they're colours will turn out to be it'll be a surprise :) it will also help with costs.
I've seen some koi auctions where fish have been sold for over 500 000!!!!!! I couldn't believe it!
As for larger bullying the small, I can't see that happening. Koi are such a peaceful fish (at least mine are) I can maybe seeing mine giving them the cold shoulder since they are all so buddy-buddy :P
Zappity- the key to cutting down on the maintenance you have to do is the long run is to not cut corners when building. My pond has four bottom filters and eight jets. Without them, nothing in my pond would live becauseit wouldn't be able to keep up with the maintenance. Filtration and aeration is everything.

Tags
koi, marble, pond