Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #1 
scrap

Betta type availability?

I'm just curious as to what bettas are available nearby you in whatever stores. It seems most people here have only got red and blue VT and CT males from anything other than aquabid.

This just made me wonder if it was so strange that
my local petsmart carries halfmoons, crowns, and dragons (I really need to go back and look what tails they had on these).

My Walmart carries VT's, CT's, and females of a surprising color variety (I kinda want to go back to get the girl with lavender spots I saw...and the orange dal VT..among others).

AND I have a local petshop whose bettas I haven't gotten a chance to look at.

Is this unusual? what does everyone hear have near them?
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

If you live in a big town, no it's not unusual. It's kind of luck of the draw which areas have good bettas though. I'm in one of those "betta devoid" areas :p
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #3 
scrap

I live in anything but a big town, but a city nearby is a bit more thriving... still nothing huge though. That's why it struck me as odd...
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

VTs and CTs are pretty much it here, although for a while my favourite LFS had some DTs and HMs. I was lucky enough to snatch up his last HM before he closed. I was impressed, as no other petshop in this city stocks them.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

My local pet stores often have a pretty good selection. Right now I've got a VT, super delta, and 2 HM (one of which is a copper dragon that rivals some stuff on aquabid). I guess it really is luck of the draw because some days I see beautiful fish at the store and some days it's pretty bland. I really had to hold myself back last time I was at Petco to buy another bulb. There was a beautiful red dragon. Ohhh I wanted him so badly, but sigh... I have no more room/tanks.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #6 
Kitty Whiskers

My local Petco has: Half Moons, Crown Tails, Plakats, Veil Tails, and are in both male and female.
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #7 
copperarabian

The petco near me carries, HM's, Deltas, crowntails, HM plakats, plakats, HM king, king, VT.

And if you know what to look for they often carry

Over halfmoons, feather tails, and dumbo plakats
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

Our local store sells mostly blue and red VT, sometimes you'll find a yellow, multi, mustard gas or a pineapple VT. When they get new orders in, they have a few double tails, crowntails and dragon VTs. You gotta be quick to get those though. Our VTs are $6, but the specialty ones are $15/$20. So yeah, 95% of the time it's blue or red VT here.

And only VT females, right now all we have is cambodians.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #9 
nel3

so far i havent seen any plakats in the stores and no female betta. all other tails and colors are in good variety though the colour of my DT in my avy is devoid in this area. think i might have found a young one VT that had a good probability of that colour but i had maxed out my betta population 2 weeks earlier.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #10 
Bambi

Depends on where I go.
At the walmart by my house mosty blues and reds in the CT area, though I saw a yellow once and used to see black orchids all the time. VT's we get blues and red and lots of orange dalmations, a few regular oranges, and a couple pineapples.

At petsmart:
PK(all dragons)- Mostly the ever common but always stunning red dragons, some whites that marble out(like my old boy) saw a black once...
'hm'- marbles and multies, some butterflies occationally
vt-some mix, yellows,oranges,blues,reds,marbles
ct-Mostly blues here..

Petco:
lots of tail types...but the fish are often to stressed and faded to see their real colors till you buy them.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote