Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #21 
VikingPrincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I just adore my boys! Years ago, I had 60 rats at once, way over my head. But I had males and females (never had a single litter born at my home) and I loved the girls personalities, but they were so independent. I like the boys cause they depend on me lol I guess that's why I'm a dog person, not a cat person per say. After these boys, I'm done for a while. If I ever get into rats again, 3 is my max lol They are expensive to vet here. A simple URI can run up to $300. Euth is $160 :(
The most I had at a time was 33. I have 8 now...8 is A LOT easier to manage, but I don't regret having more then 8 (generally I have about 15 at a time). It was a lot of work, especially when everyone had RI's at once...OMG talk about stress! But I don't regret any of it. I will never have that many at once again though. I could only imagine 60!

Funny,I am also a dog person and not into cats. I love the dependable personalities.

I could never NOT have rats. There was a time a couple years ago I had NONE and my home felt empty. I will never let that happen again...haha.
Euthanasia here is $25 and as for meds for RI's,it all depends on how many rats you have that need to be treated, the price varies. But to just bring a rat into the vet (before meds and everything) it is $50 just to be seen.

Also I am trying to reply to your PM and for some reason it won't let me....
VikingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #22 
Pitluvs

How does your vet to euth though? That could be why it's so cheap there. Here, we sedate, gas and inject. A lot of vets only gas, or just inject. I don't take chances with my guys, so I get all three done. My vet also lets me be present.

You can answer me here... yes or no? Then I can send you a PM stating why I asked my question LOL
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #23 
VikingPrincess

The vets here gas and inject,at least my OLD vet did. She recently left (to go onto better things...she is the full time vet at the Humane Society now) and I have to find a new vet.

It is a lot more expensive to euthanize bigger animals...dogs, cats, guinea pigs and so on. But I only ever had to pay $25 to have a rat euthanized.

Yes and I finally was able to reply.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:56 PM   #24 
Pitluvs

Here, there is only one vet who will see rats so I guess she can charge as she please lol

But yeah, I have the dog, the cats, a dragon, and all the fish tanks. Something has to go and seeing as I could have my dragon for another 4-5 years. I also have two toddlers lol
Old 01-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #25 
Bombalurina

I'm lucky, most vets here will see rats and we actually have a ratty expert in the city. I went to see her with Hyde the other day and she was amazing. Most vets hold the rat on the table and try to lift them to use the stethoscope etc. She sat down and cuddled him, laid him on her lap and stroked him ears to tail, the way he loves, then gently wormed the stethoscope under him and did all her checks like that. He's never been so happy at the vet! Not to say any of the other vets are bad, but she's just fantastic. It is a bit more expensive than my normal vet, but so worth it. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #26 
VikingPrincess

Quote:
Here, there is only one vet who will see rats so I guess she can charge as she please lol

But yeah, I have the dog, the cats, a dragon, and all the fish tanks. Something has to go and seeing as I could have my dragon for another 4-5 years. I also have two toddlers lol
How many fish tanks do you have?

I have the rats,gerbils,scorpion enclosure and the tanks 3 betta ones and a 29 gallon) and I have a 7 yr old and occasionally foster dogs.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #27 
Pitluvs

I have the 29g, two 10g, 15g, 5g, and two 1.5g. My head spins but I just adore having fish lol My apartment isn't the biggest either, so too many stationary pet items. I'd never give my ratters away, but I won't be taking more in either. I also have my own cat, a rescue cat, and a foster feral cat that need a lot of my attention. I hope to help more with the local feral rescue.

Someone tried to get me to take in their 5 pet mice the other day, broke my heart :(

Bom, sometimes spending that little extra on great care is so so worth it haha
Old 01-31-2012, 06:11 PM   #28 
VikingPrincess

Quote:
I have the 29g, two 10g, 15g, 5g, and two 1.5g. My head spins but I just adore having fish lol My apartment isn't the biggest either, so too many stationary pet items. I'd never give my ratters away, but I won't be taking more in either. I also have my own cat, a rescue cat, and a foster feral cat that need a lot of my attention. I hope to help more with the local feral rescue.

Someone tried to get me to take in their 5 pet mice the other day, broke my heart :(

Bom, sometimes spending that little extra on great care is so so worth it haha
Awww,well it is understandable. You know your limits.

I know,it breaks my heart when I cannot take a new animal either. Rats especially,people message me sometimes with rats they need to rehome or friends of theirs who have rats that need a new home,but I cannot take them all.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #29 
LyzzaRyzz

I wish I could have what you guys have! I had to fight for a partner for my girlie, and my bf bought me the two babies, and I still don't have a partner for sammi! sigh. I'm now looking on CL and might be getting a year old female, but it's not set in stone.

I've been lucky, none of my ratties have had to go to the vet. My girls have always passed in Thier sleep, and Creature, my heart rat died in my hands.

I did have a ferret that one day started walking in circles and acting funny, brought him to our exotics ER vet, and it turns out when I rescued him, he had ear mites in his second ear canal, [i never knew/saw symptoms] and during his time with me, the ear mites somehow got into his brain. When they did surgery they found brain damage, but managed to save him. The bill was $764 and He wasn't able to eat, move, or go to the bathroom by himself, So I had to feed him via syringe, stimulate him using his faculties, and move and position him every half hour for about a month. When he was able to move and go to the bathroom, i praised him so much, everytine he saw me, hed run to the litter box and poop. He always expected lovins, which i gave him. Smelly greeting, but i guess it made him happy. Lol .I was more than willing to do all of this, but Ozzy was never the same. He was still a cuddlier, but right when you were comfortable, he would savagely attack the nearest part of you. He went vicious. My hands, wrists, knees, thighs even my breast were victims. It ended up that I couldn't trust him at all, and sadly he was like this for the next six months, till he passed away buried in his fabric pile. I still miss the old Ozzy...
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #30 
VikingPrincess

Awww,sorry to hear about Ozzy. Thats sad. But at least he had you for his last months and sounds like you cared for him very much,even though he was a nasty little fella in the end.

Your lucky none of your rats had to go to the vet. RI's are so common in them. I have had rats though that have never had to go to the vet too. But I have also had times where I would have 13-15 rats and everyone needed to be on antibiotics for RI's. A lot of stress, but anything to make them better.