Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #1 
peridotclover

Can't Shake Finrot

I can't seem to shake the finrot on my poor fish! What am I doing wrong!
I got a red/purple HM about a month ago, and i've grown very attached to him. But I can't seem to shake his finrot. He's in a 1 gal with conditioned tap water, a small silk plant, and a small heater (keeps it around 76 / 77 deg) and some half marbles for substrate. I do 100% water changes each day. I've tried:

1 tsp AQ salt for 10 days
Break for 3 days
Maracyn 1 & 2 together (didn't seem to make it better... actually looked a bit worse)
1 tsp AQ salt for another 10 days (doesn't make it better, but seems to keep it from getting worse)
Break for a week
Tetracycline (4 days so far)

I'm on the 4th day of Tetracycline, and it doesn't seem to look any better. I've done 100% changes each day with 1 mL of API Stress Coat and 1/10 packet of Tetracycline (prediluted in water). If anything, it looks worse!

Here are pictures:

When I just got him:

Now:

Is it possible that the Tetracycline made it worse?? (I thought it was like, the good stuff?) Is there such a thing as "getting worse before it gets better" in betta fish healing?

Please somebody help. (And i know bettas need bigger tanks, etc. - my situation doesnt allow me to have a bigger tank, i'm doing the best I can with what I have!) Should I continue the Tetracyline for another cycle?
peridotclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #2 
peridotclover

Also: apologies for the weird lighting. He's in his water-changing cup, and doesn't like to stay still for pictures.

Also: Maybe his fins aren't as bad as i'm making it out to sound... but I really want to fix this before, like, chunks start falling off or anything... and that tip part of his dorsal fin looks liable to do so already. :(
Old 01-25-2012, 11:28 PM   #3 
peridotclover

Also: He's eating Omega Betta Buffet pellets with frozen bloodworms once a week.

Last edited by peridotclover; 01-25-2012 at 11:33 PM.