Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #1 
BettaMommy531rip

Exclamation Why do I feel crazy ever since I took up bettas?!

As soon as I caught the betta bug I took it and ran with it! I make lists and sketches of what tanks and decor I want to use for my betta(s). Then I talk to my betta, ask her questions about her new decor. Then go back to my lists or make more lists about how to manage my expenses around my fish! I think I have a serious problem. Another thing is that I can't help tiptoeing over to the bettas at the petstore to have a look see. I look guiltily over my shoulder, because I know I'll see "the perfect one", and then have to take them. Then I don't (with amazing self restraint). I have all these different tanks and gravels and marbles for my 1 fish! I plan to get more, but right now I have one. Is there anybody else with my betta issue? I'm pretty sure this entire forum has some strange ailment, undiscovered by scientists, resulting in an extreme betta obsession.
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

You're not crazy - bettas are addictive and for some of us, there is no cure. I started out with one because I had an empty 5 gallon tank and couldn't really stock it with anything else. I was completely hooked after a few weeks.

I'm up to 6 only because I have absolutely no room for more tanks. So you are not alone and are surrounded by plenty more addicts here :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #3 
BettaMommy531rip

Hehe. When I was eight I got my first betta, and I've had about 5 different bettas since then. That doesn't seem like much, but I'm planning on getting around 3 more (that's alot for me all at once). LOL. :)
Old 01-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #4 
GilbertonFisher

Fish are an addiction! My family and friends at work call me the crazy fish lady! I love this hobby because its so relaxing. I took up breeding and selling guppies and snails to support my fish habits :D
Posted via Mobile Device
GilbertonFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

You think you're crazy but only have 1 and soon to be 4. I have tons (not counting) and still buying them. I have no self control when it comes to bettas. And every time I breed, I stare at the fry. People passing by think I'm staring at an empty tank. lol
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #6 
BettaMommy531rip

Fish are an addiction. I have a whole folder of lists of fish stuff on my laptop. I could spend a whole day just looking at bettas, betta stuff, ect. :)
Old 01-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #7 
MandiceP

Bettas are just about the only fish that I've been able to keep without major problems. I'm not gonna lie when I say I've probably had around 40 bettas in my life time... and I'm 25. It started with a peace lily vase my mom brought home and little Azul. He died two weeks later (as we were completely misinformed about bettas, and I was like 12) So then we did some research and found out how these fish are really supposed to live and got a replacement. Pez lived to be 5! He was awesome! Then I got a blue cambodian VT male at petco, Peau I named him, and he kick-started my obsession!!! Since then I haven't really ever been without bettas. I've had divided tanks, individual critter tanks, all sorts of setups and types. I have a cd of pics of my old fish somewhere but I have to go searching for it. Anywho... I'm back up to 3 bettas and already planning for two more... At least... LMAO! It is super addicting but relaxing for me all at the same time. I talk to my fish and redecorate their tanks and ask them what they think too xD so don't feel too weird. We are a great people, us Betta lovers, and there is nothing wrong with getting addicted to such an amazing species of fish (and beautiful ;D)
MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #8 
BettaMommy531rip

Thanks Mandi! I feel like all of us betta lovers are crazy in a way that's infectious. My neighbor has a betta (I won't say names) but when I was like 10ish, I had Jasper and Shimmer at the time. So she of course had to get a betta. Then when I tried to tell her how to take care of it. I got her a book and the proper meds, but she um....sort of....killed it. I felt so bad, like it was my fish, and my fault for letting it down. Then she got guppies, they too didn't last long, then the mice, and the hamster... All of which I felt semi-responsible for, because she was only in like second/third grade at the time. Now she's back to a betta. He's alive, in a one gallon bowl, half-way evaporated water, and dirty. I keep trying to broach the subject, but she's artful at avoiding conflict. I tell her, go get a ten gallon from WalMart, it's almost the same as what you payed for that dumb bowl! Give him proper food, with LIVE plants! Heck at this point I'd buy all the stuff for her! I'm on the point of telling her what to do, and if she doesn't like it she better hand over the betta! He's just a little veiltail with constant, almost permanant stress stripes, and no color!
Old 01-15-2012, 05:21 AM   #9 
Bombalurina

Save him! Or pay for me to get a flight to you, then I'll break in and steal him. :p
Yeah...my betta addiction started as a single girl in a 5 gallon. It grew...luckily I figured out a way to have many bettas in few tanks - sororities!!!!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #10 
BettaMommy531rip

Yeah! I should confront her! Or at least MAKE her start taking care of her betta! I'll show her how healthy Shimmer is, and maybe she'll finally realize the difference! Her brother even has a betta in a 2.5 gallon who's been going strong for 5 years! He says he kinda wants it to die so he can get a lizard, and then I'm like, "hello betta freak over here!" I think I'm wearing him down, he might relinquish the betta soon enough. But his sister is the issue at hand, more so, her betta.