Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #1 
Shirleythebetta

Anybody in to Genealogy?

Just curious. Is anybody here into Genealogy or have any questions about it? I know so many people that don't want to know or don't care about their family history. I am a Genealogist (or I think I am) and have found all sorts of interesting things. I have solved family mysterys like missing children or family from as early as 50 years ago and even found living people that abandoned their family's. Is anybody else on here interested in Genealogy?
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Haha, I personally find it difficult to track my true family history 'cause I was adopted from Korea when I was 8 months old. My adoptive family's heritage is another story. My aunt on my mom's side did a lot of research and traced my mom's genealogy quite a ways back. My mom is Swedish with a dash of English tossed in and my aunt was even able to find passenger records for some of the old Swedes who came over to Ellis Island. I think one of them came over on Cunard Line's Campania. On my dad's side, not so much. We figured out his mother is French-Canadian and that one of her ancestors was a noted president of Rutgers University back in the 1800's. Haha, we also discovered that side of the family is full of wackos, but then we kinda already knew that. On my grandfather's side, pretty much nothing.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #3 
Shirleythebetta

Yea, sometimes it is difficult to figure out things like that. I have dealt with adopted folks before and have had some success. But the problem is being adopted from Korea you probably have no idea who your biological parents were huh? You have to have a small hunch, also if your adoption was closed it's nearly imposible. You would have to potition a court for those records and sometimes depending on the circumstances you still have no luck. If you ever want any help tieing up any loose ends with your adoptive family I will be happy to help. Also if you have any info on your adopted family I can give it a shot. I have about 5 years experience with many familys and many different stories. I am also able to link you to my research so you can observe and let me know if you think I am heading in the right or wrong direction. I am only working on two families at the moment and am doing some free work for experience and fun. I plan on going to school for this someday after I finish with my current buisness associates degree.

my personal email is akille24@gmail.com.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #4 
erinandares

Over Christmas, we found out a lot of interesting stuff about my grandmother's side of the family. She found an old piece her great grandmother wrote about the wagon trip from Connecticut to Oregon when she was only seventeen. That was very itneresting to read. She had our history traced through a Conn. civil war colonel, and then back to a revolutionary war soldier. There's a little town somewhere the Goff family (my grandmother's great grandmother's family... if that makes sense) founded and the streets are named after my ancestors. I thought that was cool.

We don't know much about my mom's side of the family... I still haven't asked her since she never seems to care too much about this stuff.
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

Very neat history. It's nice to know you decend from people who really accomplished things like that. I found it interesting upon researching my family tree and my fiance's that he decended from the people who invented democracy and he is related to Tim Mcgraw. I however decend from the person who invented ketchup. :(

If your mom new you were interested maybe she would tell you a few things to get you started.. I would be glad to help you out if I can.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

I am interested in genealogy, but it costs a lot to find information.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #7 
Shirleythebetta

Actually, depending on the route you take you can find out a lot for a small price. Well, I guess it just depends on your finances. If you want to go it alone you can go to a site like ancestry.com for about 20 bucks a month. There are conditions though. If you don't know how to look at the records you can be led to the wrong information. Some of the records get crossed and a lot of it is here say (from people, not records). Also, you have to pay extra for out of country records. Or, you can just ask somebody like me who has loads of time on their hands and is willing to help people for experience. Haha, I am pretty bored and I have no life. I have five years experience and am very accurate. I use more sites than just ancestry.com. I have access to other sites and information because of the translating I do on the side. I base all of my information for families off of actual records not people. If I translate records for these sites they give me access to records for nothing. Send me an email

akille24@gmail.com
Old 01-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Wow, thanks for the offer, Shirleythebetta. :) You're right, I don't know a thing about my biological parents. I'm not sure if the adoption was closed or not, I haven't checked on that. At the moment, I've got too much going on to pursue finding anything out about them but maybe in the near future, I can contact you for help. :) I think that's great you help families out with their geneaology.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:23 AM   #9 
hedgehog

I think genealogy is pretty neat. I've tried to look stuff up before but I did not have much luck with my free trial of ancestry.com. My maternal grandmother's side is well covered since my great aunt wanted to join Daughters of the American Revolution and had to trace the ancestry back. I know that on that side I'm related General William Tecumseh Sherman. My maternal grandfather's side is slightly difficult since I thought I knew a relative's name but I'm not certain anymore. My great grandfather married a Native American but was a racist so he doesn't admit she was. It's makes it a little difficult not knowing exactly what happened.

My dad's side is a totally different story. I have absolutely no idea the history there. I know that my paternal grandmother's parents moved from Germany either during or slightly before WWII. My dad believes that we had Jewish relatives in Germany during that time but no one talks about it. On my paternal grandfather's side there was an adoption or illegitimate birth so no one knows any history at all from him. My mom is convinced my grandfather looked Mongolian, some of my friends say my dad looks Russian, and one of my Asian friends thinks that I look part Asian.

Long story short: I really think it's interesting to learn about family history but I'm not entirely sure how to even go about doing it especially considering what little information I have.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #10 
Shirleythebetta

Neat to be related to someone so well known.
Yea it's not easy to trace Native American roots. I know, I have tryed. The problem in native american tribes years ago white people were adopting the children or even stealing them to raise or to use as slaves or house servants, some cases a companion for a bored child. So, the point I am trying to make is the native american child would be giving an anglo name and his or her heritage would be wiped from them.
Adoptions are hard to depending on the circumstances but it is possible to figure out direct and indirect bloodlines. I have done this a few times and found people.
Ancestry.com is only really good as a base and after you have tons of practice at it. Another good site to go to is familysearch.org. It's a little more thorough and based off of records rather than people. I also do a lot of grave site searching to, you would be surprised at the kind of help I have gotten from gravesites. Ancestry.com has too much personal involvement and that can lead you down a wrong line very quickly so you have to learn how to pick out the correct records and ignore much of the person to person based information so it takes a while. I had to learn how to read the records in a different way too since most of the records indicated age within two years before or after their real age. It's confusing but I can help you figure out where to go with it. I am very accurate by now and I love to help out. I have lots of experience.