Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #1 
HayrideHaunter

Potential velvet, help!

So my boy Emanon is a tailbiter...never had any issues other than that until now.

I just decided to give him his first photo shoot and I put him in a smaller bowl for better shots and brought him into some brighter light, only to notice those ominous gold flecks all over him =(((((

He isn't showing any symptoms other than the gold flecks...

He is in an unheated 2gal (though the temp is carefully monitored and kept at 78-80F) with no filter (chewed up his tail too much)...I clean it around 90% every week and every couple weeks I give it a 100% and a good hot water scrubbing of everything.

He lives with a java fern, an anubias, and a marimo ball in his tank.

I feed him 3 pellets every morning and a pinch of something like 4 bloodworms every night. Fasted only when he shows a little tummy starting, which happens every few weeks or so.

His water is filtered with a brita (my water at school is really harsh) and conditioned with Aqueon betta bowl plus

At my disposal is aquarium salt and melafix. Testing the water for ammonia now.

How do you treat velvet, and what should I watch for?
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #2 
HayrideHaunter

NO WONDER. I feel so awful! I cleaned his tank on Monday to add ghost shrimp...you can see the whole ordeal in "Tailbiters unite?" in betta care...more or less I had some deaths in the tank...I didnt think to clean them out and the ammonia in his tank is nearly 1.0. I feel horrible. Cleaning his tank really well now...what else do I do? He is in a very clean temporary bowl...though the bowl cant be more than 1/2 gallon
Old 01-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #3 
HayrideHaunter

Anybody? I want to kick this before anything gets too serious =(
Old 01-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #4 
kfryman

I don't know what to do, but definitely PM Sakura8, OFL, or any other person that is always telling people doses. Better to try and get them fast other than sitting on a thread. Just give them the link.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #5 
HayrideHaunter

right...im kinda freaking out and didnt think if that...thanks haha
Old 01-26-2012, 11:14 PM   #6 
kfryman

I hope someone is on that can help you!
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #7 
HayrideHaunter

Update: Emmy's behavior is still normal but he still has gold flecks...last night I cleaned his tank about 95% and put a dose of aquarium salt in it and he seems to be doing fine this morning. I'd still really like some advice though in case he gets worse =(
Old 01-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Can you post a pic of him? A fish with velvet looks something like this:
Name:  Gershwin With Velvet.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  31.4 KB

If he looks similar to that, then there is a good chance he has velvet. Otherwise, many fish naturally have a gold iridescence to them. With velvet, it looks like gold dusting but each speck is well-defined. In a serious case of velvet, you will even see the parasites on the eyeballs, like with my Gershwin in the pic (got him that way from Petco).

Velvet can be pretty hard to treat with chemicals because only one stage in the life cycle is susceptible to chemical treatment. Your best bet is with AQ salt, like you have begun doing. If you can, get him into a small tank, 1-2 gallons. Crank the heater up to about 86 F, gradually so you don't shock your fish. Add 3 tsps of AQ salt per gallon, predissolved in a little bit of tank water.

Now the fun but very important part. You need to do at least 50% water change every day and vacuum the bottom of the tank really well. This is what gets the nasty parasites out before they can reattach. I highly recommend doing 100% water changes as it makes redosing the salt a lot easier.

Also, keep the tank as dark as possible becaue velvet photosynthesizes. Some people even go so far as to shove it in a closet. o.O So drape a towel over it and keep it in the darkest room of your house.

Continue with the salt treatments until you no longer see any velvet parasites. Then do a 25% water change. Do not add salt. Next day do a 50% water change. Again, do not add salt. Finally, do a 100% change to get his water completely salt free.

I hope this helps you. Good luck!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #9 
HayrideHaunter

Thanks for all of the advice! The gold flecks have actually disappeared this afternoon o.o...they were very well defined and very much there last night. He IS in his 2gal with a dose of AQ salt...I will continue AQ salt for 2 days so long as his symptoms don't return. Thanks so much and apologies for my panic attack >.<
Old 01-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #10 
bettaboyshiva

if you can get velvet medication..that would be good as well!...anti-oodinium or velvet guard is the major treatment!.. i use azoo anti-Oodinium.. or if not you can use tetra parasite guard...and the salt as a combination..velvet ( Oodinium pularis) is present in nearly all tanks and as sakura said it photosynthesizes..and is seen somtimes as a type of agae by some..but really if you get the anti-oodinium from azoo i can assure you it really works! i've been hit badly by velvet even my bets betta got it although i tried realy hard to prevent the spread..i use clorox when i clean my tanks and jars and stiil somtimes i see it..for me the best way is get a clean jar..put him in it with fresh water..add some of the anti-oodinium and place him in a dark place..or conversely..use the salt and parasite guard and place in the dark...both ways worked for me ..
bettaboyshiva is offline   Reply With Quote