Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #11 
underdebate

Okay, that sounds manageable. I've prepped the other bowl for him to go into tomorrow-- I'll just have to keep an eye on him!

Do you have any tips on how to keep him warm while I'm doing the frequent water changes? His water is at about 75 without a heater-- can I leave him in water that temperature for a few days, or is it too cold?
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #12 
underdebate

Update!

I managed to get some good pictures of the holes today-- they look really nasty, and I'm now just noticing some on his top fin as well (but I'm pretty sure they were already there).

He's in different lighting now (after his first water change) and there's definitely some black around the edges, so I'm thinking it's pretty safe to say it's fin rot. However, he's very perky and happy-- always comes to say hi when I come over to his bowl, and flashes his fins for me (such a handsome boy-- I've named him Isaac), and he seems comfortable.

Also: he's pooping, so that's great. I had a bit of a scare when I saw something dark falling away from him in the water and immediately assumed it was part of his fin, but upon closer inspection it was just a poop. :)

Anyway, picture of the holes, and just one to show off his colours 'cause he's pretty.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #13 
LittleBettas

He's really pretty, if his poop is a dark gray/grey or a black color then he probably has parasites, you can find most parasite treatments at pretty much any petstore or walmart... I usually stick with Jungle brand as its what my family has always used for meds, but AP is actually a good brand (not sure about the others)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #14 
underdebate

No, fortunately it just looked like regular old brown poop. :) I'll keep that in mind though!
Old 01-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #15 
Silverfang

if those holes were at the ends of his tail, I'd think he was biting his tail, but when I see the colour, I have to wonder if it is something else. I would suggest you contact OFL (oldfishlady) she is the go to for most everything betta, or Sakura8, she seems to know just about everything else!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #16 
underdebate

I went to put him in a new bowl for the second time this morning, and found out his fins have definitely gotten worse. His top fin is getting sort of ragged-looking, and the holes in his back fin are getting bigger.

I'm going out to buy some API Stress Coat for him today, because I've heard good things about it-- does anyone else have any other suggestions?

(I'm thinking the temperature of his water isn't doing him any good, either-- what's the best way to keep a bowl warm?)
Old 01-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #17 
Oldfishlady

Good that he is otherwise acting and eating okay...

Some of the common cause of fin issues like that-when it was not related to external parasites- is due to-poor water quality, poor nutrition, too high filtration, over flaring, injury-sometimes it can be worse in some than other due to genetic or long term neglect that cause thinning of the tissue...usually it will heal up once water quality and nutrition have been improved-but due to the opening in the tissue and compromised immune response often a secondary infection will set in....

What I would do-start a 10 day aquarium salt treatment-and if you have any tannins-either IAL or dried Oak leaf-not only for the antibacterial/fungal properties-but their use can also help toughen scales and fins and improved nutrition-he needs some high protein meals-if you have access to mosquito larva-offer several rinsed several times a day.

I would QT in a small container that can be floated in a heated tank to maintain temp in the 76-77F range

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 2tsp/gal and a tannin source-let this steep for 30 min and use this premixed Tx water for 25% water changes every 15min for 1hour today...he needs to stay in the QT in the Tx water for the treatment period.

Tomorrow start 50% daily with the premixed treatment water for 3 days-On day 4 100%...repeat this schedule for 10 days...

On day 11 start 25% water changes using fresh dechlorinated water for 2 days-Then if you haven't already-get the tank you plan to keep him in ready-use the water from his tank for 25% water changes for 2 days to get him ready to go in his tank....you don't want any filtration or water movement in his tank.

Make sure the premixed treatment water and any water used for water changes is within a few degrees between new and old water so not to temp shock with extreme temp changes....

Double check the dechlorinator for proper dosage-since some require double dose when you have both chlorine and chloramine

Exercise him daily with a mirror to help build strenght

Nutrition is one of the most important aspect in healing and long term prevention..

If it is genetic related...not much you can do except prevent secondary infections....

Good luck and keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #18 
underdebate

Gah! Thank you so much in advance-- fingers crossed he starts to heal up.

I just have a few questions:

1. I don't have any access to a tannin source-- will this work without that?

2. I do have mosquito larva, though. 'Several times a day' = three, four times? I'm completely afraid of overfeeding him.

3. Can I quarantine him in the small plastic cup he came in for that length of time, or is that too small?

Again, thank you so much, I appreciate this more than I can express.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #19 
Oldfishlady

The small temporary cups they often come in work great for QT-be sure and attach it to the side of the heated tank so it doesn't sink and use the lid so he doesn't jump out...

It will work without the tannins, however, they would help a lot....I use naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf from my many Oak trees in my yard...if you have any Oak tress free of pesticide-collect 10-20-crush and add to the treatment water....

Mosquito larva-depending on how big they are since they can vary in size-its hard to give numbers-I feed masses.....and have never had any issues with it....since its a natural food-it is digested and passed much faster/easier...sometimes you have make a judgement call.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #20 
underdebate

Okay, thank you. :)

Is it okay to feed him only the larva for several days, or should I keep feeding him his normal food/reintroduce it into his diet partway through/?