Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #21 
Oldfishlady

If you have larva...feed the larva.....this is a great food source...

In the summer when I spawn my Bettas outside...that is all they get all summer
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #22 
underdebate

So between last night and this morning I've been noticing his fins are slowly getting worse. Everything went a-okay yesterday, and I've just finished his first 50% water change today, but-- his poor fins just keep getting more and more ragged.

His behavior hasn't changed-- he's still very happy to see me whenever I go to look at him, still does a little dance for me, and he's still eating well.

Is there anything else I can do for him? Should I try Stress Coat? Or do I just have to wait for them to heal? I know it's only been a couple days but they just keep getting worse and I feel so bad for him.

Here are two pictures from last night of him floating in his quarantine cup, and two from this morning, right before his water change.
Attached Images

underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #23 
callistra

IMO, if he is continuing to deteriorate in spite of frequent water changes, tannins and aquarium salt that OFL suggested then it's time for some antibiotics. You can try another couple days to see if it turns around but I wouldn't do any more than that since it seems to be moving pretty quickly and you don't want it to get anywhere near his body.

Maracyns in combo work well for this and are easy to find. If you'd rather just treat with one med try the Maracyn 2 first as it is the one that treats gram-negative infections.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #24 
underdebate

Things seem to be moving faster at this point-- his fins haven't gotten MUCH worse today, but the holes are definitely getting bigger. I'm almost afraid I'm going to go to check on him at some point and half his back fin will have fallen off. I'm going to go out to the shop tomorrow afternoon and find him some antibiotics.

Are there any possible negatives to using both Maracyns at once? (And if I'm treating him with medication, is it okay to keep using the aquarium salt?)
Old 01-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #25 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Awh :( I hope he gets better. <3 He looks like a piece of swiss cheese.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #26 
underdebate

I know-- the poor thing. :( He's such a sweetheart too-- he's got so much personality and even despite the rot he always tries to act all pretty for me whenever I check on him.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #27 
Myates

Poor fella.. since you just started the AQ salt treatment I would recommend sticking with it for at least 8 days before you try medication. If in 8-10 days it hasn't stopped deteriorating then we can recommend some anti-bacterial medication such as Tetracycline or the Maracyn line.. but I honestly think the clean water that is given on a daily basis, along with the salt will help out greatly and may be all you need to do. You won't see instant improvement, it will take time for the holes to close up.. days, weeks or even a couple months. As long as they stop receding then he should be okay. Keep an eye out for clear-white growth on the edges of the holes/fins, that is a sign of new fin growth.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #28 
Oldfishlady

I wouldn't be surprised if the damaged fins totally fall off at some point.....due to the neglect he suffered and poor nutrition-its going to be a long road to recovery.....I would stay on the treatment course I gave you and complete the 10 days in the aquarium salt along with the 3 daily-50% and 1-100% on day 4 schedule.

Its up to you if you want to start antibiotics, however, be careful mixing them with other products and over use....personally I don't recommend them...I think sometimes people are too quick to start antibiotics-sometimes we need to have patience since often recovery can take time-especially with this type of damage that is most likely due to nutritional issues and neglect....good luck....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #29 
underdebate

Fair enough. I'm going to buy the Maracyns today but try sticking with the water changes for another little while until I use them.

I woke up to the attached picture this morning: two of the bigger holes in his back fin have turned into big gaping tears. Honestly, I'm not sure if this little guy is going to recover-- it just keeps getting worse and I don't know what to do for him.
Attached Images