Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #11 
toddscire

Hmmm, I might be able to help on this.

Feed her very very good for a few weeks and same for him. Then as she starts to fill out with eggs stop feeding for one day and put her next to the male in a cup or something and if she acts like the game is on and the male is showing his best fins let her go and do not feed again till after she is done with the breeding. This can be a hour or so. Do not bother her and him give them room to do there thing. Watch from far away and see if her egg eating is a nervous thing. Some betta eat eggs when you make them feel like it is not a secure place to have kids. It is better for them to eat the eggs then to let some other fish eat them. Yes, to a betta you looking through the glass is like a big fish waiting for dinner. Let them do there thing undisturbed. Also AC/DC can be heard through the glass and might not be to her liking. If after 2 or 3 tries over a few months she eats the eggs it is a water or conditioning issue. 99% of healthy betta are not egg eater unless conditioning has failed or the fish has health issues. One month for a new fish is not really long enough for conditioning. We do a 3 or 4 month condition and feed very heavy. After the male and female have eggs in the nest we remove the female and feed her very good again. But, we do not feed the male till the fry are free swimming. At that point he is removed and his conditioning starts over. We do this 3 times a year. Some males we do only 2 times a year. Unless you plan a short life for you nice girl betta, only breed her after she has been in good care for a few months at least. I think if she is in good condition you should not have issues. Keep us posted on the egg issue.
toddscire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:29 AM   #12 
BettaBreeder

Thank you Toddscire, for that information. It's answered a few questions with my own Betta breeding. I'm about to start conditioning some Bettas, and was planning for a couple weeks, after reading this I may go a couple months now. I'm really hoping for a nice healthy batch of fry. :)
BettaBreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:14 AM   #13 
toddscire

the better the fish the better the fry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBreeder View Post
Thank you Toddscire, for that information. It's answered a few questions with my own Betta breeding. I'm about to start conditioning some Bettas, and was planning for a couple weeks, after reading this I may go a couple months now. I'm really hoping for a nice healthy batch of fry. :)
I can tell you breeding is not something that can be done well in a few weeks and getting a fish that some one else has conditioned is not a good way to make sure you can do the same. If you can know a fish issue by looking at a fish or know is a fish is not able to go to the bathroom or has dropsy. If you know the background of the fish you are going to breed or going to breed muts. Muts are fine if you are just starting out. It is better to know what you have to work with and what it will produce most of the time. If you take your time you will become a good breeder and have some beautiful fish. If you rush things you might find it more work than you wish to keep doing. Take your time, get your fish ready, have a plan, then enjoy your beautiful fish. Do not rush your fish, they will produce better babies and will be much easier for you to grow and recover much faster. Rush the fish and you can really hurt your fish and even kill your female.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:31 AM   #14 
BettaBreeder

Yes, I know about rushing now...sadly I tried that and ended up with a male Betta (yes not the female) almost killed by the female! :S I don't think she was ready, or that she was a good match for my male. Lesson learned, I'm going back to studying and slowly starting over doing things the right way.

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-28-2012, 07:03 AM   #15 
toddscire

Glad things are ok and she is fine now.

As long as you saw eggs from her and not by mistake of the shop selling you a young PK :) I have see shops that buy betta in bulk think that some cheap no color PK's were Female betta. I always wounder how many people lost fish because of some one not knowing there fish. If you keep a lot in the same tank you can keep a lot of young males together with out any fighting as they seem to school. We keep males together for 4 month with no fin issues. They seem to do better in a school. They also eat much better. I hope you can have a batch of fry to grow out someday. It is very rewarding to see the fish grow and become show stoppers. Keep learning and never think any betta question is dumb. Ask!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #16 
BettaBreeder

:) Uh what's a PK? :D Not that I think I have one, I've been researching for long enough, that I know what the females look like.

I'm at a decision point right now, do I sell the aggressive female and get a less aggressive one for my passive male? Or do I wait for the male to get his finnage back and then sell him and get a tough one that can handle the female? :P Or do I try again with this pair in a couple months after conditioning them better?

Also what do you recommend I condition them with? I have Microworms and B.B.S. eggs.

Thanks for you're help, it's greatly appreciated!
Old 01-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #17 
Mikaris111

Thanks for the all the advise! and the betta territory website is really nice too :)
Mikaris111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #18 
BettaHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBreeder View Post
:) Uh what's a PK? :D Not that I think I have one, I've been researching for long enough, that I know what the females look like.

I'm at a decision point right now, do I sell the aggressive female and get a less aggressive one for my passive male? Or do I wait for the male to get his finnage back and then sell him and get a tough one that can handle the female? :P Or do I try again with this pair in a couple months after conditioning them better?

Also what do you recommend I condition them with? I have Microworms and B.B.S. eggs.

Thanks for you're help, it's greatly appreciated!

microworms are great for fry, never heard of conditioning adults with them and bbs as well.... if research was done, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp and great pellets have been the norm, unless things have changed hmm... or maybe im wrong
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #19 
toddscire

Keep them both as it will teach you a lot.

First never and I say never is there a reason to let the male let the $$$$$$$$$ kicked out of him. If you notice after a few minutes of chasing it turns to a fight and then a stand off and the male retreats you need to end it right then and remove the female not the male. Now that you know he is not ready yet or she is a he. Then let him rest a few weeks at least and when you are sure there is no fungus or other issue with him you can try again. This time put the female in a clear cup and float her in his tank. Do this for 1 or 2 days so they can get used to one another. Then when you release her keep a eye on them and if after 3 or 4 times you get the same result replace him. As for food to get him back in shape I use a very high fat and protein pellet and frozen brine. Tadpole food is great and very close to the natural diet they get in the wild. Feed 4 times a day or as much as he will eat if you have time to do a few 50% water changes a day. We feed 4 times and change water 2 times a day at 90%. Same temp. We feed all pellet and nothing else. We do a veggie pellet and then a shrimp pellet and then a tadpole pellet and then our own pellet. For egg to sale size in around 4 month is not a issue. We can breed a male every 23 days and not have a issue. Females we go 2 months and sometimes longer or shorter. If we see she is developing eggs we let her do her thing.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #20 
BettaBreeder

Okay, thanks for all the info toddscire! I'm thinking I'll hatch more B.B.S. for both of them (that's probably even better than frozen, and it's all I have anyways). And then I'll look into another food, I have a few different dry pellet "Betta" foods, so I might just try one of those. I really don't have time for a "few" 50% water changes a day, but I'm sure I could manage at least one (maybe a 90%).

BettaHeart - I'm sure you're right, I've heard about using other things as well. I've heard that the microworms can be "too nutritious" for adult Bettas, so I've cut back to only about once a week. They seem to love them, so I guess it's alright. I will look into alternative foods though.

Thanks!