Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #1 
MJK87

Tank size stress on fish.

So I have been housing my halfmoon betta in a 5 gallon tank for the last 5 or so months and he developed a horrible tail biting issue. The filter was baffled so there weren't really any flow issues. A few weeks ago I decided to tear down my 5 gallon to paint a background and moved him into a 2.5 gallon tank with some fake silk plants. Since I moved him to the 2.5g tank he has stopped biting his tail and it is starting to grow back beautifully. He has more vibrant color and has been really energetic. He also has started building bubble nests again which he hasn't done since I first got him. He seems to be happier and healthier in the smaller tank.

Has anyone experienced this with their bettas? Its making me think twice about moving him back to the bigger tank. Is it possible for a betta to get stressed out from a bigger environment? I do two 50% water changes a week with a red sea nano filter and a zoomed under gravel heater and he seems to be content. What do you guys think?
MJK87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Bettas can stressed out with DIFFERENT environments. Not all bettas get stressed with "bigger environments" like a lot of myths say. My Dally loves his (stupid lame dumb blah >:( ) bowl, while Shiloh needs a 20 gallon to keep him from tail biting.

As long as the fish is content, go for it :) I have to keep silly Dally in a gallon bowl that I despise... but at least he is eating, active, and not acting all diva like
And Shiloh claims the entire 20 gallon x.x
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

Sometimes, it's not just tank size, either. Bettas are native to really densely planted waters, so you can make a big tank feel smaller for them by absolutely packing it with stuff. When I first brought Odysseus home, he was massively freaked out by being in a tank literally 20 times bigger than he was used to, but the incredibly dense planting kept him more chilled, and eventually gave him the confidence to get out and explore. Same with my girlies. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #4 
scootshoot

One thing great about bettas are their individual personalities so it's up to the owner to adjust as is.

Originally I was going to move my male from his 5 to the 15 long and add other fish like guppys or neons, however after watching him interact in the 15 am going to place him back in the 5 and start a sorority.

My male in the 15 never utilized the space. He just sat in one corner flaring at who knows as there was nothing reflective there, lol. He would come up for air and scurry straight down to that same corner shadow boxing.

In the 5 he acts "normal" and actually looks for his food, in the 15 he never paid attention to food as he was too focused on that rear corner.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:08 AM   #5 
Myrtaceae

I'm a firm believer that most 'tank size' bettas simply have had a hard time overcoming swimming room + lighting adjustments that follow.
I think almost any betta can be happy in a 5+gallon provided s/he is provided with:

-- adequate hiding spots that correspond to the size of the tank (a 1 gal will need fewer hidey holes than a 5gal)
-- adequate lighting adjustments: most of us change lights when we change tanks, and I think we underestimate how much that affects the fish. Provide a few floating plants (like anacharis or java moss) and see if that helps.

I personally think it is worth keeping individuals in 5+ tanks, simply because it allows for greater stability in water params. I think most 'larger tank' issues can be adjusted for by adding differing quantities of live plants to provide stability + shelter.

That said, not everyone digs live plants. If you don't, I'd recommend keeping him in the tank that he seems happiest in.
Myrtaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:16 AM   #6 
MaxGreenMDE

Well this discussion now concerns me since I"m thinking about moving Dahvie to a 10 gallon tank because for some reason his water keeps smelling like rotten eggs and people are saying it's because of the water not cycling well enough in the 2.5 gallon he is in right now..

I don't intend to keep the 2.5 gallon so if it stresses him out I'd have nothing to put him back in. I was going to take the 2.5 gal in and do an even exchange for the 10 gallon.
MaxGreenMDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:19 AM   #7 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGreenMDE View Post
Well this discussion now concerns me since I"m thinking about moving Dahvie to a 10 gallon tank because for some reason his water keeps smelling like rotten eggs and people are saying it's because of the water not cycling well enough in the 2.5 gallon he is in right now..

I don't intend to keep the 2.5 gallon so if it stresses him out I'd have nothing to put him back in. I was going to take the 2.5 gal in and do an even exchange for the 10 gallon.
What conditioner you using? Sorry if I missed a prior post stating such. Also prior to doing your next water change let it age for a day or two. With 2.5 gallons of water it's easy. Buy a cheap bucket at Walmart that is > 2.5 gallons, add your replacement water with conditioner and let it sit in room temperature for a day or two before replacement.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:22 AM   #8 
MaxGreenMDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
What conditioner you using? Sorry if I missed a prior post stating such. Also prior to doing your next water change let it age for a day or two. With 2.5 gallons of water it's easy. Buy a cheap bucket at Walmart that is > 2.5 gallons, add your replacement water with conditioner and let it sit in room temperature for a day or two before replacement.
it's Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner bought at petsmart.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:27 AM   #9 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGreenMDE View Post
it's Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner bought at petsmart.
I know many posters who have used 2.5 setups and this is the first time I am hearing of this "rotten egg" smell.

What's the directions of this conditioner? How many drops or caps required for 2.5 gallons?
Old 01-25-2012, 02:29 AM   #10 
MaxGreenMDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
I know many posters who have used 2.5 setups and this is the first time I am hearing of this "rotten egg" smell.

What's the directions of this conditioner? How many drops or caps required for 2.5 gallons?
5ml per gallon so i put 10 :/