Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #1 
HazelrahLayna7

Location: A lovely valley in VA, USA But Inkworld, Mossflower woods, Farsala, or The TARDIS is good too.
Question Does Watson have Velvet?....

I think Watson might have Velvet, but I can't see any rusty color on him. If anything, there's almost silver looking stuff on his fins. He's had them since I got him, so I don't know if its scales that go into his fins (Can they do that?) or if its something else. He'll act like his normal food loving self, and then once he realizes that he isn't going to get any at the moment he sinks to the bottom of the tank and lies there, occasionally scooting to another spot. He also sometimes rubs against stuff.

Since I don't know if it is Velvet or not, would it hurt him to do aquarium salt anyways? If so I'll just keep an eye on him, but he isn't being quite himself.

Housing

What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 76 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Betta Spectrum Betta Formula
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, two pellets each time

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I haven't, but I can if it would help.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He seems a little weaker in color, but otherwise it hasn't really changed.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is normally a very active guy, but now he goes to the top only to breath and when there's a chance of food. Once he realizes that none is coming, he sinks to the bottom and lays there. He's also gone and rested under the handle of his mug, which is a bit unusual since he usually rests on his plants. I haven't noticed him doing it today, but he has seemed to rub his side on the bottom of the tank. (Which looks really weird.)
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I'd say about two, three days ago, but didn't think anything about it.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I haven't
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope, this is the first time since I've had him
How old is your fish (approximately)? Erm, I'd say almost two years or a little over a year and a half. I got him from a petstore where he'd been there for at least two, possibly four, months. And that was last September, so 6 months have passed...

If it would help I can try to get a picture or two.

Last edited by HazelrahLayna7; 01-27-2012 at 08:28 AM.
HazelrahLayna7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #2 
Tappy4me

Other members will be along soon I'm sure to help you out.

Are you able to get a picture?
Tappy4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #3 
HazelrahLayna7

Location: A lovely valley in VA, USA But Inkworld, Mossflower woods, Farsala, or The TARDIS is good too.
Okie Tappy. :) *Waits*

He's still acting the same, and yep, I'll get pics on here later today.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #4 
earthworm88

If you don't see new occuring golden dust, then it's likely not Velvet. It sounded like nothing really had change in your care for him, and he isn't showing any signs of problems only his behavior appears to have changed. Then I would definitely want to know the water parameters he is in. Do you have your own kits? If you bring it out for testing, be sure to tell them you want the exact numbers for the test.

When he swims up for his food, does he appear to "struggle" to get up to the surface? What type of betta is Watson? Does he have heavy full fins?

Photos always help a great deal in diagnosing.

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #5 
HazelrahLayna7

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworm88 View Post
If you don't see new occuring golden dust, then it's likely not Velvet. It sounded like nothing really had change in your care for him, and he isn't showing any signs of problems only his behavior appears to have changed. Then I would definitely want to know the water parameters he is in. Do you have your own kits? If you bring it out for testing, be sure to tell them you want the exact numbers for the test.

When he swims up for his food, does he appear to "struggle" to get up to the surface? What type of betta is Watson? Does he have heavy full fins?

Photos always help a great deal in diagnosing.

Cheers!
No struggling, he zips right up. He's a crowntail with little webbing and long rays, so no heavy fins to pull around after him.

I do have a kit (API Master kit) and here are the amounts/measurements/prams or whatever they're called. *Pulls it out and does tests*

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate:
pH: 7.6
Hardness: ???
Alkalinity: ???

Erm, I don't know what the hardness or alkalinity are 'cause API doesn't have them. And I also did a high range pH test and it was a 7.4. Not sure if that matters, but figured that I'd put it down. And another thing that might not be important but that is worth mentioning is sometimes when he's at the bottom of his tank he'll tip just slightly to either side. I think its nothing but his fins drifting downwards and pulling him in the same direction though. (Trying to give as much info as possible. XD)

Here are pics:

Old 01-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #6 
HazelrahLayna7

(Sorry for the double post, the edit button's time ran out. :))

*Studies pics* He kinda looks healthy actually....Maybe he's just getting old? *Does some math* I got him four months ago on September 8th, and he'd already been at the store for a few months (4 or 2, but I'll go with 3 months 'cause its a halfway mark) and he would have been anywhere from a year to 6 months when he was sent there. (Chose 8 months, again because of it being between the two numbers) That makes at least a year and 5 months....

Last edited by HazelrahLayna7; 01-29-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #7 
callistra

Colors aren't too bright. He does look kinda washed out/pale but hard to say. The flashing sounds like maybe parasite infection. Is he breathing heavy at all?

You want to do a water change because you don't want to be seeing any ammonia. Ideally you will test enough to get the pattern of your tank and know how often to change the water so he sees no ammonia. If you are seeing ammonia then for some reason your tank is not cycled or the cycle has restarted so you're going to have to watch this carefully now while the beneficial bacteria builds back up and do a partial change every time you see that .25ppm. I think there are some good stickies around the forum on how to do a fish in cycle.

Also he's cool, although acceptable. I would increase temp up to 78-79.

NLS are very small and you can increase the number you are feeding. Try 5 or even 6 day with one fast day a week so long as he is pooping daily and it looks normal. Speaking of is he pooping daily and what does it look like?

Last edited by callistra; 01-29-2012 at 01:09 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Sorry if this was obvious and you did this, but did you shine a flashlight on your guy? It's the best way to see the velvet.. Also if he's rubbing himself on things, I believe that's a possible sign of ich... He looks fine to me, though, it could be the start of something.
I'd pm someone more knowlegeable about disease to look at your topic, you aren't getting much response.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #9 
Myates

It doesn't look like velvet to me.. and with the flashlight trick I would keep in mind that you will have to know exactly what you are looking for, as when you use a flashlight, or a bright light, even a flash on a camera you will see coloration that you don't normally see under the normal tank light.

Since you are showing some signs of ammonia, and personal preference I would recommend upping the water changes to at least 30% per week, up to 50% with weekly siphoning/vacuuming of the gravel. If you have live plants then you will only need to siphon/vacuum once or twice a month. But weekly vacuuming is a must in non-live planted tanks.

I would also suggest possibly upping the temp to 78-80*F if your heater will allow. 76*F is the lowest of the recommended temp, but warmer temps usually makes them more energetic. Normally it takes a bit of time before cooler water catches up to them, reason why you may be starting to see it now. Cooler water = slower metabolism = less energy, less hunger, lowered immunity.

If you get him into warmer water and he become more active, I would add in an addition pellet to his diet to give him a little more nutrition.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #10 
HazelrahLayna7

Thank you so much to everyone for replying! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Colors aren't too bright. He does look kinda washed out/pale but hard to say. The flashing sounds like maybe parasite infection. Is he breathing heavy at all?

Yeah, his colors really aren't as, I guess the word is lush, as they could/have been. He's not breathing heavily, not that I can tell.

You want to do a water change because you don't want to be seeing any ammonia. Ideally you will test enough to get the pattern of your tank and know how often to change the water so he sees no ammonia. If you are seeing ammonia then for some reason your tank is not cycled or the cycle has restarted so you're going to have to watch this carefully now while the beneficial bacteria builds back up and do a partial change every time you see that .25ppm. I think there are some good stickies around the forum on how to do a fish in cycle.

Okie. I've cycled his tank before, but when I got Holmes I cut Watson's filter cartridge in half and put a new half in there along with the old, so that probably restarted the cycle a little. And since its Monday, its water change day! I'll try to do testing every day so that I can get a good water change system going.

Also he's cool, although acceptable. I would increase temp up to 78-79.

Yep. I'm working my way up to 79 as of this post.

NLS are very small and you can increase the number you are feeding. Try 5 or even 6 day with one fast day a week so long as he is pooping daily and it looks normal. Speaking of is he pooping daily and what does it look like?

Haha, Watson is going to love that he's getting more pellets. XD I'll start giving him 3-4 as a start. I'm pretty sure he's pooing daily, and its a nice brown/red shade that almost matches the food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Sorry if this was obvious and you did this, but did you shine a flashlight on your guy? It's the best way to see the velvet.. Also if he's rubbing himself on things, I believe that's a possible sign of ich... He looks fine to me, though, it could be the start of something.
I'd pm someone more knowlegeable about disease to look at your topic, you aren't getting much response.
I did that almost first of all. :) No rusty looking reflection or anything. And I just studied him and I don't think that I saw any ich spots, but I think I'll have a look again at both him and the sickness stickies.
Hmm, the thing with both ich and velvet is that they have loss of appetite as a symptom, and he just loves his food as much as ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
It doesn't look like velvet to me.. and with the flashlight trick I would keep in mind that you will have to know exactly what you are looking for, as when you use a flashlight, or a bright light, even a flash on a camera you will see coloration that you don't normally see under the normal tank light.

I took a different flash light (A tiny one so that its got a better pinpoint) and looked again. Still no rusty.

Since you are showing some signs of ammonia, and personal preference I would recommend upping the water changes to at least 30% per week, up to 50% with weekly siphoning/vacuuming of the gravel. If you have live plants then you will only need to siphon/vacuum once or twice a month. But weekly vacuuming is a must in non-live planted tanks.

*Nods as I take it in* I'll start doing 50%. No live plants, so I get the bottom as good as I can every time. (Its a bare bottom, kinda. We made a stainglass on the outside/underside so that it looks like there's something down there, but its not in the water.)

I would also suggest possibly upping the temp to 78-80*F if your heater will allow. 76*F is the lowest of the recommended temp, but warmer temps usually makes them more energetic. Normally it takes a bit of time before cooler water catches up to them, reason why you may be starting to see it now. Cooler water = slower metabolism = less energy, less hunger, lowered immunity.

Hmmm, maybe that's it. I just adjusted the temp, so it'll be getting warmer. Time to wait and see! *Crosses fingers*

If you get him into warmer water and he become more active, I would add in an addition pellet to his diet to give him a little more nutrition.

Haha, like I said above, he's going to love the extra food.

Last edited by HazelrahLayna7; 01-30-2012 at 09:22 AM.