Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #1 
DalekDYE

Question New Tank

Hi guys. Some of you might of read my Memorial for my recently lost fish Tengshugh (R.I.P). Well anyways, he liked his bowl, it hold about a liter. Yes I'm Canadian. That's about a quarter gallon. My new fish, P.K. Maurice (I gave him a full name. P.K. stands for Peter Kip) is much more active than Tengshugh was. I bought P.K. a silk plant, some new rocks and a 5 minute exercise mirror. I'm thinking of upgrading him to a 1 or 5 gallon tank though. If I don't, should I get a mini heater? I find it easier to clean his smaller bowl but it's about him, not me. Anyways, I was wondering if I should get him a glass or acrylic tank. What would make him happier. I keep my room around 21C (About 70F). Sometimes a little higher. If I do get a new tank, then I'll use the bowl for when we go on trips. If they're long, the fish gets a lift. I wouldn't use the bowl in the car though. I've only had him a day. Should I give him more time to decide if he likes the bowl or not? Also, he doesn't seem to want to do his flaring exercises. Are they bad for bettas and would the lack of flaring be due to his short time in the bowl? I hope you guys can help me out here. I want my fish to be happy.
DalekDYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #2 
Badjer

That bowl is much too small, and it doesn't sound like it's heated. Definitely upgrade him to a minimum of 2.5 gallons, and get a heater to keep the tank in the 75-80 degree range. Acrylic or glass doesn't really matter, just be sure it has a top that allows oxygen in and keeps him from jumping out. Good luck with your new betta!
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #3 
DalekDYE

Thanks. My active, young fish will very much enjoy your contribution. Does he need to be filtered, or is that optional?
Old 01-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #4 
LittleBettas

Getting a larger tank would actually make it a bit easier on you to clean, a larger tank would also be easier to heat, 2.5 gallons is considered min. but if you are able to, getting a larger tank kit such as a 5 gallon or a 10 gallon would be a lot more fun and you would be surprised how active some bettas are in a larger tank... plus... its a lot more fun to decorate (go live plants!!!)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #5 
JBosley

Whoo! A fellow Canadian :) Welcome. Definitely get a heater! I learnt that the hard way... specially since Canadian winters are pretty chilly, haha.
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #6 
DalekDYE

I would have to get the smallest possible because I don't have a lot of space in my room. The 2.5 gallon should be good. As for you JBosley, isn't it awesome to be Canadian.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #7 
Badjer

The Aqueon Mini Bow series is a great 2.5 tank. I have one. It's acrylic, and comes with a filter and a hood.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #8 
DalekDYE

Finally got him to do his flaring drills. I don't want it to have a pre-installed background. Also, He sits in the middle of my desk. Although, I still think it would be a good tank.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #9 
JBosley

Haha sure is awesome! :D
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 gallon, advice, bowl, change, tank