Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #1 
Shayna

Very Sick Betta, Need Help

Hello, I really need some fast help. I went into Walmart two days ago and saw one lone veil tail male betta surrounded by about five dead ones, and just couldn't leave him there. I've owned bettas before, and knew he was in pretty bad shape. His fins were torn and ragged, and his tail was just shreds. I decided to try my luck saving him. I brought him home and set him up in a one gallon tank, just until he got better, to try to help him. I treated the water with stress coat and settled him in. He's gotten progressively worse. His body has turned grayish, and the last time I went to check on him, he was just floating at the top, and I thought he was dead, but his gills are moving and he swam a little. I treated him with betta revive, and now he's sitting on the bottom of the tank on his side, still breathing but no other movement. He's not eating, and hasn't been interested in eating since I brought him home. I'm not sure what else to do or if he's even save-able at this point. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

As for tank conditions:
Size: As stated, a one-gallon until he's better
Temperature: 78 degrees at last check
Tank has a small air stone, no filter.
It is not heated.
No tank mates.

Food: I tried to feed him a pelleted food, and some blood worms, but he had no interest.

Maintenance:
I've been changing water daily, a 100% change. Stress coat is added.

Symptoms:
I listed all the ones I've seen so far up in my first paragraph.

Just noticed some fuzzy-looking white stuff at the base of his tail. Help would be greatly appreciated, as it seems like he might have fin rot and a fungal infection, and advice on the best way to possibly save the little guy would help greatly.

Last edited by Shayna; 01-27-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Shayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How did you acclimate him to the tank when you got him....don't worry about food at this point....
What kind and how much dechlorinator did you use
If he is struggling to swim-lower the water level or place him back in the small temporary cup
If you have any tannins-IAL (Indian almond leaf) or dried Oak leaf-add that to the water
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #3 
Shayna

To acclimate him, I floated his bag in the tank for 15 minutes, then slowly replaced the bag water with water from the tank. I don't have chlorine in my water, and I used API Tap Water Conditioner to condition it, as well as adding some Stress Coat. I've placed him in a smaller cup as you recommended, but I don't have either of those things on hand to add to his water. Is there anything else I can do? I do have both aquarium and epsom salt.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I would go ahead and start a 10day aquarium salt 3tsp/gal and water change treatment...

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 3tsp/gal and make 25% water changes every 15min for 1hour today....

Tomorrow start 50% daily for 3 days-On day 4 make 100%-repeat this schedule for 10 days
On day 11 start making 25% water changes using fresh dechlorinated water for 2 days-then make 25% water changes for 2 days using water from the tank you plan to keep him in.....

Offer food daily and remove if uneaten-if you have access to mosquito larva offer some rinsed several times a day

Good luck and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #5 
Shayna

Thanks so much for the advice. After I read it I immediately did what you said, and it's been a couple hours now. No signs of improvement, but no signs of decline either. The little guy still isn't interested in food. This whole thing just highlights to me how horribly Walmart treats these poor little fish. I really hope he pulls through.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #6 
Myates

Definitely continue treatment as mentioned above.. and don't worry about the food for now, he will eat when he feels better.

The only thing I want to add (other then my well wishes that he gets better soon) is the small air stone isn't needed. Especially in a 1 gallon where it can disrupt the surface and cause more issues then any good from it. Bettas don't need any type of aeration, so all it's doing is making it a little harder for him to get air at the surface where he gets it at.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote